PDA

View Full Version : NV Silencer opinions and experiences

Pages : [1] 2

anzak
09-15-04, 05:39 PM
Around 9:00 this morning my NV Silencer 5 arrived. Since I've been home due to *cough* sickness I quickly ripped the box open (which was very well packaged) to inspect the massive cooler. After glancing over the instructions I started the installation. The first odd thing that I discovered was a hair under one of the thermal pads on the memory! BFG employees really need to be more carful! I finished removing the old HSF and thermal paste and used the supplied thermal compound for the GPU and memory. I did not tighten the screws very much because of the reports of them breaking. With the card installed in my case and everything hooked back up and started testing. Here were my results running RTHDRIBL:

Load temps with stock GT cooler:
GPU - 83 degrees
Ambient - 56 degrees

Load temps with NV Silencer 5:
GPU - 80 degrees!
Ambient - 54 degrees!

I was VERY upset to say the least! Sure it's a lot quieter but 3 degrees was absolutely nothing! I decided to remove the card and try tightening the screws but ran into another problem. The little lever that locks the card in the AGP slot was almost imposable to reach because of the silencers huge size. I had to use a screwdriver to flip the little lever. I tightened all of the screws until they refused to turn then reinstalled the card and ran the tests again.

Load temps with NV Silencer 5:
GPU - 70 degrees
Ambient - 41 degrees

Much better! My guess is that the card was not coming into full contact with the GPU. My card has always been a crappy over****er and I was really hoping that I could break 400mhz without artifacting but this was not the case. The memory is a different story im now able to hit 1.22Ghz! My case temps also dropped 3 degrees which is always nice.

Overall this thing has caused my a lot of stress but it was worth it. I would really recommend this thing to someone with bad case ventilation.

I give it a 8/10 because it did not help my core overclock (which is probably due to the chip it self).

Feel free to post your your results on the NV Silencer 1-5.

hypertek
09-16-04, 12:12 PM
mines coming in tomarrow! cant wait.. my gt overclocks 413/1100 fine, im hoping a bios voltage flash and with teh cooler may get higher..

chigga23
09-16-04, 12:39 PM
What's up all, been reading the forums for a while
And just joined. I just got my nv5 last night,
And when I 1st powered it up my idle was 65
And my load was 74. So I took it out again and had to much compound on my gpu. Rubbed the extra off and my idle is now 55-57 and under load goes no higher than 64. This cooler is great. Highly recommend

dexth
09-16-04, 08:25 PM
well, i have the cooler for few weeks now. idle 52c and load 68c (vs 65c idle and 78c load stock cooler). somehow, i got itchy yesterday and took it off and tried to screw them tighter, well, guess what, the screw broke. fortunately, that screw was the one on the side where there's no memory. in fact, that lowered my temp to 49c idle and 65c load!! i guess the uneven surface of memory and core heatsink surface cause it and the removal of one screw helped evened them out :lame:

combat_wombat
09-16-04, 09:00 PM
works great. im very happy with it

heftysmurf
09-20-04, 11:38 AM
Worst product I have ever used. Killed a 6800GT with it :-( Will wait till Zalmans solution before playing again.

hypertek
09-20-04, 01:35 PM
how did it kill a 6800?? did you mount it right? overtighten the screws? overclock too much?

Greasy
09-20-04, 04:58 PM
My temps are about the same as the stock cooler. 68C idle & 80C load.
I used AS5 on the core, and the cheap crap that came with it on the mem. I didn't tighten the screws too much though, because I didn't want to break them.

What kills me is that my case temp is very low... Why is this card so hot?

combat_wombat
09-20-04, 10:00 PM
greasy: either it is installed badly, or the thermal sensors on your card are hosed. my card idles at 49/50c, and gets up to 67c full load when I am running 400/1100

Greasy
09-20-04, 10:03 PM
Wow that's a big diff from where I'm at.

What were your temps with your stock cooler?

I guess I'm going to pull it off, and try again. How much thermal grease did you use?

combat_wombat
09-20-04, 10:07 PM
small blob on the core, then i spread it out with a small spoon. for the memory, just a blob on each memory chip. my idle temp with the standard cooler was 56c core, and full load was 78c

Greasy
09-20-04, 10:18 PM
Thanks, I'll give is another shot. (salute)

john19055
09-20-04, 11:39 PM
IMO looks like a razor would work better than a spoon to get a thin coat of AS3or5 over the GPU.

CaiNaM
09-21-04, 12:33 AM
love mine. solved my overheating issues, lowering my load temps > 20c, and quieter than the stock cooler.

if you have an ultra, don't expect the temps to change drastically. the stock ultra cooler seems to be pretty efficient as far as cooling (noise might be another matter).

Worst product I have ever used. Killed a 6800GT with it :-( Will wait till Zalmans solution before playing again.

i'm thinking it wasn't the product at fault here...

JCGhz
09-21-04, 01:22 AM
Wow that's a big diff from where I'm at.

What were your temps with your stock cooler?

I guess I'm going to pull it off, and try again. How much thermal grease did you use?

Dont let people scare you and keep you from tightening those screws, just tighten then slowly till the rubber things compress a good bit. I tightened mine till they wouldnt turn anymore(gently) Im idling at 48c load is 63C, 400/1100 Rock solid.

combat_wombat
09-21-04, 01:07 PM
IMO looks like a razor would work better than a spoon to get a thin coat of AS3or5 over the GPU.

the thermal paste really does not offer any resistance to the compression of the heatsink to the core. all the excess just gets squeezed out to the sides of the core anyway.

Greasy
09-21-04, 04:57 PM
greasy: either it is installed badly, or the thermal sensors on your card are hosed. my card idles at 49/50c, and gets up to 67c full load when I am running 400/1100

That's was it! When I took it off I realized that only about 25% of the core was in contact with the NV5. Reapplied the AS5 and tightened the top screws a little more as I went. This leveled the cooler out, and now my idle temp is 51C!

Thanks for your help guys!!! :)

Krayzie
09-21-04, 10:01 PM
the thermal paste really does not offer any resistance to the compression of the heatsink to the core. all the excess just gets squeezed out to the sides of the core anyway.

This is true - however there is one discrepancy there. Too much paste squeezed out past the core will actually insulate and trap heat right at the edges of the core. On top of having a mess (if you are like me and always taking PC components apart to try new things - this is a big deal!), you could potentially make things hotter by trapping the extra heat in there. There is a perfect balance to strike when applying heatsink paste, and sometimes you luck out and hit it just right the first try... sometimes - as the others here have found out - it is worth it to redo it just to see if you can do better.

Oh yeah.. btw, I am new here. So hello everyone! :nana:

anzak
09-22-04, 12:11 AM
This is true - however there is one discrepancy there. Too much paste squeezed out past the core will actually insulate and trap heat right at the edges of the core. On top of having a mess (if you are like me and always taking PC components apart to try new things - this is a big deal!), you could potentially make things hotter by trapping the extra heat in there. There is a perfect balance to strike when applying heatsink paste, and sometimes you luck out and hit it just right the first try... sometimes - as the others here have found out - it is worth it to redo it just to see if you can do better.

Oh yeah.. btw, I am new here. So hello everyone! :nana:

First off, welcome to nVNews. Thanks for the tip. I just remembered I have some AS5 saved back. Would it really be worth the trouble? Would it make that great of a diffrence over the silicone based stuff? Thanks.

Krayzie
09-22-04, 07:06 AM
Arctic Silver will definately net you some improvement over your silicone paste you are using. How much of an improvement is hard to say as no two chips are alike out there. You could shave off a couple of degrees celcius from your current temps. Just keep in mind, the same goes for Arctic Silver as it does with regular thermal paste... you have to strike a delicate balance between too much and too little. If you use to much, you will blanket the core and it will eventually overheat - whereas if you use too little, you may burn out the core before you even get to the control panel to check your temps! Just use a thin layer - just enough to make the shiny surface of the core covered. When you mount the HS up to the card - set the HS assembly upside down on a table and gently lower the card onto it. The idea for good contact means once the base of the cooler is on the core and has smooshed the thermal compound you dont want any side to side motion of the heat sink. So set the card down on the HS and get the screws in it and secure it down. Without any side to side movement you should have a near perfect core contact with the cooler. Tighten the screws down evenly and pop it in for the test. If your temps seem too high then likely you either didnt tighten the screws down enough - you tightened them up too much - or too much or too little AS5.

If thats the case... dont be immediately discouraged by it. Pull that sucker out and repeat the process again. I have been building PC's for years, and just within the last year or so have I been able to have good results the first time every time when installing any kind of heatsink. It takes a bit of skill and quite a bit of patience (which is what I think I have been lacking all along!) to get it just right. Anywho, good luck to you and have fun doing it!

sniggle
09-23-04, 01:05 AM
i got a bfg 6800gt oc about a week ago and the card is great. however, the heatsink just isn't that good (it's the newer one with 2 blue fans). even after reseating it with some as5, the card idles around 65C and can get as hot as 100C (mind you, this is with a 1.4v bios mod and at 420/1150). here is a graph of when i was running rthdribl for only a few minutes at that speed:

http://funsicle.com/pics/hot_overclock.png

it really wasn't much better at stock speeds and voltage. needless to say, i have an nv5 silencer on the way right now and it should arrive on friday. i will post again with how it performs. i hope to be able to up to voltage to 1.5 and possibly get 440/1200 at decent temps.

INGlewood78
09-23-04, 01:20 AM
cool..let us know how it goes...u have a system very similar to mines.

smargi
09-23-04, 03:32 PM
How do you install this (NV Silencer 5) i have 6800ultra and i have a double plate in the front of the card and the only plate that come with the NV Silencer 5 is for the heat pipe i don't want to cut the original plate what can i do.....?

Omega53
09-23-04, 03:37 PM
How do you install this (NV Silencer 5) i have 6800ultra and i have a double plate in the front of the card and the only plate that come with the NV Silencer 5 is for the heat pipe i don't want to cut the original plate what can i do.....?

Ther is no option but the cut the plate in half.

smargi
09-23-04, 03:47 PM
realy bad design for the NV silencer 5 thay just could add another front plate for the ultra card from what i see all the 6800ultra card have the same two DVI out and on tv out i just keep the original cooler on the card thx...!!!!