PDA

View Full Version : Guide to flashing your GT to 1.4V.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Omega53
09-16-04, 12:02 PM
Instead of flashing some random bios claiming to turn your card into an ultra, there is a much safer way of doing this by using your current bios with just the Voltage modded. By using your current bios, you are practically guaranteed to not mess up your videocard. There are some important things to know. This will void your warranty and I take no responsibilty if you somehow damage your card. READ THESE STEPS CAREFULLY AND MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THEM EXACTLY.

1. Go here NVFLASH442 (http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=fileinfo&parent=folder&filecatid=51) and download NVFLASH4.42.

2. Insert a floppy and in my computer right click on your A drive. Then choose format. Towards the bottom 3 options you will see Create MS Boot Disk. Check that option then format.

3. Extract just the files from NVFLASH4.42 onto the A: drive. (not the folder itself)

4. In your bios make sure that Floppy is set to the first boot device.

5. Reboot with the floppy in the drive.

6. Once you get to a screen that says A: Type "NVFLASH -b backup.rom" (without the ")

7. Once it says it has been successful, take out the floppy and reboot back to windows.

8. Once in windows reboots go download OmniExtremeEditFX (http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&func=fileinfo&filecatid=127)

9. Reinsert the floppy and open up omniextremeeditfx. Then go to file and open.

10. Choose your floppy drive, then open up the "backup.rom".

11. This will open up the currets settings on your current bios and you will then be able to change you Voltage settings and your stock Core and Ram Values.

12. Change 3D V to 1.4.

13. Go to File then Save it to your floppy. Name is whatever you wish. (I use GTBIOS.rom)

14. Restart windows with the floppy in the drive.

15. Once you get to the screen that shows A: type "NVFLASH -f GTBIOS.rom -p -u -2" (Replace GTBIOS.rom with whatever you named your file)

16. Once shown successful take out the floppy and reboot. You now have 1.4V on your 6800GT, Enjoy :).

saturnotaku
09-16-04, 12:05 PM
Might want to change your thread title. There's no such thing as "idiot proof."

Omega53
09-16-04, 12:06 PM
Might want to change your thread title. There's no such thing as "idiot proof."

:lol2: I guess you are right ;)

DivotMaker
09-16-04, 12:16 PM
There's no such thing as "idiot proof."

Beautiful! :thumbsup:

Pandora's Box
09-16-04, 12:19 PM
might want to put a disclaimer saying: if u fry ur card i aint responsible.

Omega53
09-16-04, 12:24 PM
might want to put a disclaimer saying: if u fry ur card i aint responsible.
I did. Its in there :) The underlined Part.

Pandora's Box
09-16-04, 12:36 PM
I did. Its in there :) The underlined Part.

k

myshkinbob
09-16-04, 12:40 PM
Even easier is to go download winfox from the leadtek site and flash from windows. Although it's only supposed to work on leadtek cards with leadtek bioses, it has an override.

1. Load winfox.

2. Go to preferences/setting --> VGA flash utility.

3. Go to the 'Read Graphics BIOS' tab and read in the current bios from your card.

4. Go to the 'ROM/Image File Information' tab and read in the bios you want to flash to from your hard drive.

5. Go to the 'Flash/Upgrade Graphics BIOS' tab and the Flash button in the bottom right will be greyed out due to the non-leadtek-ness of your current bios or target bios, BUT, rapidly left/right click the button, a sailor tune will play and a red light bulb will appear in the top right.

6. The flash button is now active, click it to begin flashing, this will take about 1 minute.

7. You may get a file mismatch error after flashing a non-leadtek bios, however, ignore it, the flash will have worked, i've flashed many different brand bioses this way. Reboot.

Edit: The utility also allows you to read your current bios and save it to disk from windows.

1. Read your current bios in from the 'Read Graphics BIOS' tab.

2. On the same tab, click save.

All this is much much easier than rebooting 3 or 4 times and having to arse around with floppy disks and dos mode. :)

superklye
09-16-04, 12:58 PM
what does upping to voltage to 1.4 do?

Schumi4ever
09-16-04, 01:07 PM
Usually allowing for higher oc's :)

Omega53
09-16-04, 01:36 PM
what does upping to voltage to 1.4 do?

Before upping my voltage I could only hit 410 cause my 6800gt wasnt receiving enough power to run any higher. After Upping the voltage I can now hit around 455 before I become voltage limited again.

hypertek
09-16-04, 02:49 PM
did you guys change the clock in teh bios as well?? i.e. setting the gpu to 400

camelot
09-16-04, 03:26 PM
Winfox gives me a DLL error on load and then then option to flash/upgrade is missing.

myshkinbob
09-16-04, 03:28 PM
you need to reboot after installing i think, or you installed the win98 version on win2k/xp or vice-versa. I know it needs to install an io driver to be able to flash your bios from windows.

camelot
09-16-04, 03:35 PM
you need to reboot after installing i think, or you installed the win98 version on win2k/xp or vice-versa. I know it needs to install an io driver to be able to flash your bios from windows.

Theres only one link on the site and that gives you the file that says for XP/98/2000 etc. I rebooted after install and on reboot thats where it errors. I removed rivatuner and it still couldnt load that DLL, said invalid memory location or something.

myshkinbob
09-16-04, 03:38 PM
hmm, if it's some w2kxxx.dll error, i get that too when winfox is set to auto-load. The flash button will be greyed out until you right/left click it btw. You could try the living update to get the newest winfox files though, i did that before i tried flashing at all.

camelot
09-16-04, 03:40 PM
It doesnt even have that option as far as i can tell. The preference/settings tab just shows "about" thats it.

myshkinbob
09-16-04, 03:55 PM
hmm, i've really no idea then, perhaps it doesn't install properly unless you install with a leadtek bios on the card. :/

camelot
09-16-04, 04:02 PM
hmm, i've really no idea then, perhaps it doesn't install properly unless you install with a leadtek bios on the card. :/

Oh well. I dont own a floppy drive so its always nice to see windows based things like this. I wonder if there any other flash programs out there that run in windows?

Nv40
09-16-04, 04:07 PM
wow! nice.. amzing MOd.. :D
perhaps someone can made this thread Sticky.. it deserves it.. a gt running at Ultraextreme speeds is something that really interest me. :) but still mi PSU is not good enough.. i will try this mod later when i get a bettter PSu.

Omega53
09-16-04, 04:29 PM
wow! nice.. amzing MOd.. :D
perhaps someone can made this thread Sticky.. it deserves it.. a gt running at Ultraextreme speeds is something that really interest me. :) but still mi PSU is not good enough.. i will try this mod later when i get a bettter PSu.

Thanks :) Check out my 3dmark03 score. Its amazing what a $400 videocard can do :D

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3114764

Pandora's Box
09-16-04, 04:59 PM
omega how did u overclock to 455 anyway? what tool did you use

Omega53
09-16-04, 05:10 PM
omega how did u overclock to 455 anyway? what tool did you use

Coolbits2

Pandora's Box
09-16-04, 05:44 PM
hmm i tried this tweak. voltage at 1.4. got core to 430, mem to 1.12. played ut2k4 for about 20 minutes then the game locked up and screen turned to garble.

Omega53
09-16-04, 05:56 PM
hmm i tried this tweak. voltage at 1.4. got core to 430, mem to 1.12. played ut2k4 for about 20 minutes then the game locked up and screen turned to garble.

Easy way to tell if you OC too much on the core is to run mother nature test from 3dmark01. I usually loop it 10 times to make sure its all good.