PDA

View Full Version : What Are Your Guys Thoughts On the Phantom "Prototype"?

GamerGuyX
09-16-04, 07:55 PM
So uhh, hehe... what do you guys think of the

Phantom "Prototype" (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjU3)? :udawg:
I'm sorry, I know its just a prototype. But jeez! Hot GLUE!?! :lame:

Some pics:

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA5Mjc5MjA3NVZlTEZmYW5BNUpfM184X 2wuanBn

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA5Mjc5MjA3NVZlTEZmYW5BNUpfM18xX 2wuanBn

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA5Mjc5MjA3NVZlTEZmYW5BNUpfM18xM 19sLmpwZw==

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA5Mjc5MjA3NVZlTEZmYW5BNUpfMV8xX 2wuanBn

DaveW
09-16-04, 08:20 PM
I could do something better myself, most of us could.

GlowStick
09-16-04, 08:32 PM
As i expected.

Anyways,

When i look at the phantom i see they hired pritty decent computer modder, and told him to make something look cool.

The new phantom is exactly the same, however this time they bought a laptop and took out its guts.

Raptorman
09-16-04, 08:52 PM
I'm going to try to forget about this thing just like I'm trying to forget DNF.

Edge
09-16-04, 09:32 PM
Haha, not exactly the most elegant workmanship...but at least the outside looks pretty. But how powerful is this thing supposed to be? The specs looked pretty impressive back when the Xbox was released, but now with the Xbox 2 coming out in a bit over a year it probably will have a harder time matching up with the technology (not to mention the 4 ghz processors and 6800 cards...).

Edit: Oh, and I love this line from their article-

What you see above is a Phantom Console that was loaned to us for the purpose of writing this article. The Phantom you see above is plugged in and "running", although we could never get it to POST.

Jeez, it's that large and heavy, and they couldn't even get the thing to work?!? Why didn't they at least stick an actual computer in there, at least then it would be functional :rolleyes:

But does anyone else think it's funny that Phantom actually loaned HardOCP a prototype console when they took them to court less than a year ago? What in the hell are they thinking?

CaptNKILL
09-16-04, 10:01 PM
My god... a Geforce FX 5600????

UUUGGGHHHHHHHH

Thats the biggest piece of crap card thats been made in the past 5 years. I had one.

That isnt a prototype. Its a joke. Theres no freaking way they can actually make something like that, and make it worth buying.

I hope, for everyone's sake, that this is always going to be vaporware. If its released, theres just going to be a lot of angry users and some scammers with their pockets full of cash.

Edge
09-17-04, 12:46 AM
Wait...it honestly uses an FX5600? Buahaha, that's barely better than the Xbox's beefed up Geforce 3. Sheesh, does the thing even output to high resolution HDTV modes? What's the point of a PC in a box if it can't output at above 480p, even the Xbox can do that and supposedly Xbox 2/PS3 games will be 1080i native. This thing would be so outdated by the time it's released that there really wouldn't be any point to it, the advantage consoles have is that they're able to offer very advanced technology for the price, but this thing doesn't look like it comes anywhere near that goal (especially if it retails for $200 with a monthly charge like they're planning).

CaptNKILL
09-17-04, 01:27 AM
Oh ya, anyone notice... no CD drive. Only an 80Gb hard drive and an internet connection (which is fake\non-functional in this prototype)... yes, you must download all of your games. :|

Edge
09-17-04, 01:56 AM
Oh, so it's like a forced version of Steam then, except with monthly payments (and apperently less games :D )

-=DVS=-
09-17-04, 03:03 AM
Interesting idea , with wrong people and hardware :retard:

Also looked at they site so called better version of Phantom got spec similar to Xbox , its already outdated for current games not to mention future :retard:

* AMD® Athlon™ XP 2500+ central processing unit (CPU)
* NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX 5700 Ultra graphics processing unit (GPU)
* NVIDIA nForce™2 Ultra 400 platform processor
* 256 MB RAM
* 40 GB local content cache
* Microsoft Windows XP® Embedded Operating System
* Dynamic, personalized user interfaces customizable for age, gender or technical expertise
* Lapboard, mouse and game pad included

* HDTV and Dolby® Digital 5.1 compatible
* Works with any consumer-standard broadband Internet Service Provider (ISP): DSL or faster

vampireuk
09-17-04, 03:33 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2003/20030122l.gif
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2003/20030820l.gif

Smokey
09-17-04, 03:46 AM
Was it not Hardocp that wrote sometime ago that this thing was one big con? Now they have one for preview :retard:

CaptNKILL
09-17-04, 04:05 AM
Interesting idea , with wrong people and hardware :retard:

Also looked at they site so called better version of Phantom got spec similar to Xbox , its already outdated for current games not to mention future :retard:

* AMD® Athlon™ XP 2500+ central processing unit (CPU)
* NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX 5700 Ultra graphics processing unit (GPU)
* NVIDIA nForce™2 Ultra 400 platform processor
* 256 MB RAM
* 40 GB local content cache
* Microsoft Windows XP® Embedded Operating System
* Dynamic, personalized user interfaces customizable for age, gender or technical expertise
* Lapboard, mouse and game pad included

* HDTV and Dolby® Digital 5.1 compatible
* Works with any consumer-standard broadband Internet Service Provider (ISP): DSL or faster

Actually that one isnt all that bad. Its a LOT more powerfull than the XBox.

The XBox only has a 733Mhz Pentium 3, a Geforce 3.5, 64Mbs of SHARED memory and I think a 10Gb hard drive.

If they can sell what you just posted for $200 (as they planned before), that wont be bad at all. Hook up a CD-ROM, format the hard drive and use it as a normal computer for a fraction of the cost.

As a console though, it doesnt make a lot of sense. They could make a LOT more money if they just marketed it as some sort of beginner's computer\console hybrid.

The whole monthly fee\no CDROM idea seems like a very risky move... and has SCAM written all over it. If the service actually got off the ground, they would probably have 1 game for 3 months, then one more for another 6 then it would be out dated and people would have to buy a new one.

vampireuk
09-17-04, 05:03 AM
It's a big sack of crap and it is completely pointless.

Smokey
09-17-04, 05:49 AM
It's a big sack of crap and it is completely pointless.

Here here :ORDER:

Fatman
09-17-04, 10:13 AM
I've got a Phantom t-shirt, hopefully it will be worth something on ebay when the company goes bust. Muahahahahaha.

EciDemon
09-17-04, 11:08 AM
Ive red all over the place that the phantom was just a hoax. ... and that was a long time ago. Im actually supriced to see stuff about the phantom again ...

GlowStick
09-17-04, 11:53 AM
Well its not a hoax, its a scam, what they are doing is pretending to 'engeneer' a product and 'create' a game deliery service, while in reality they hire a 16year old kid to do a simple case mod, and since they alrady made alot of false promices, eg HDTV, Dobly 7.1, Internal Cable Modem, Internal DSL Modem.......

Bascily everyone who is pitching this product sat down and said "Ok, here is the plan, we get as much investor money as we can, hide it in a swiss bank account and the hide"

Its been done so many times before.

majortom
09-17-04, 12:29 PM
Well its not a hoax, its a scam, what they are doing is pretending to 'engeneer' a product and 'create' a game deliery service, while in reality they hire a 16year old kid to do a simple case mod, and since they alrady made alot of false promices, eg HDTV, Dobly 7.1, Internal Cable Modem, Internal DSL Modem.......

Bascily everyone who is pitching this product sat down and said "Ok, here is the plan, we get as much investor money as we can, hide it in a swiss bank account and the hide"

Its been done so many times before.

did you mean to misspell "engeneer"? LOL but spelling aside, this is basically just a [crappy] computer that only plays games and has a broadband connection... hmm, well, sonnofabitch, i already have one! wow! :nanahump:

Ninjaman09
09-17-04, 02:43 PM
You said it. What the hell is the target market they're going for here? Anyone who wants to play PC games already has a PC that is probably a lot better than the Phantom, and with our PCs we don't have to download every game we want to play! This was a stupid idea from the start and it's getting even stupider. It'll be sad to see how bad these guys crash and burn when/if this failed pipe dream ever launches.

As far as the "prototype" goes, I was pretty amused :D

Arioch
09-17-04, 02:45 PM
They should have called it a 3DNo.

theultimo
09-18-04, 07:16 PM
Phantom console sound just like the old Linux console that never come about....cept no drive.

nrdstrm
09-18-04, 08:48 PM
At least it looks a bit better, compared to what they had at E3. What a piece of crap. I was only in thier booth long enough to get my t-shirt...lol
Nrdstrm

Badboy_12345
09-19-04, 12:33 PM
If they can sell what you just posted for $200 (as they planned before), that wont be bad at all. Hook up a CD-ROM, format the hard drive and use it as a normal computer for a fraction of the cost.

Yeah that is what I was thinking.
200$ with those specs is DIRTY CHEAP.