PDA

View Full Version : 9800Pro --> 6800GT, Worth it?

Hambone
09-16-04, 07:56 PM
Hi,

I've been reading a lot of reviews, benchmarks and forum posts over the last two days trying to make up my mind. I'd really appreciate any input or advice. I'm definetly going back to NVIDIA after having problems with a lot of older games that I still like to play (ie. Neverwinter which seems to run like poop on ATI cards).

I've been thinking for a while about getting a new card. What I've been trying to figure out is if it would be worth it to spend $400 (a lot of money) to upgrade from a 9800-pro to a 6800GT.

Some benmarks seem to point out that with some games and settings, a 6800GT doesn't do that much better compared to a 9800Pro, while other seems seem to show an almost 2:1 framerate difference. The one problem I have is that almost all benchmarks seem to use a 9800XT or a 9700-Pro. I have to take guesses at adjustments to see what my card (9800pro) would do.

Considering my current system, am I really going to see a x2 framerate difference in some games (kind of hard to believe)?

Do you think a $400 purchase would be worth it in the improvement to games?

Should I stick it out until the next generation comes out?

Any other thoughts, etc would be appreciated!

My system right now is:
AMD Barton 2500+ @ 215x11 (a little better than a stock 3200+)
1-GIG Muskin DDR-433
DFI Ultra Infinity / Nforce2

Thanks!

MUYA
09-16-04, 07:58 PM
why not?

4XAA and 8XAF performance will be much faster tha the old 9800 Pro maybe even double ins ome cases.

I mean, 4 quad nv40 GPU compared to 2 quad r350 and also memory speed, which goes from 680 mhz? to 1.1ghz. That should all equate to better performance.

Those games that do not show remarked difference are probably CPU bottlenecked.

Games like Far Cry, Doom III and the upcoming Half Life 2 will benefit definately.

Older games...some of them may not.

Omega53
09-16-04, 07:59 PM
I can tell you that the increase is insane. You will absolutely notice the difference and it is definately noticable in games. Id say its worth it.

circuitbreaker8
09-16-04, 08:13 PM
I recently switched from a R9800p ( 450/760 ) to a BFG 6800GT and I can tell, it was not a HUGE upgrade AT ALL. Reason is b/c my 9800p ran every game at high details, maybe not max AA but to tell you the truth, the IQ was a lot better on hte 9800p. AA on this card is horrible, its deff not FSAA, it only AA's things around you which totaly sucks nuts. If I knew this before I would've held onto my 9800p until the 16 pipe x800 comes out ( not the xt ) Also, I still get horrible slowdown in games like UT2k4 and Doom 3, so really, it wasnt an upgrade at all. I *STILL* run 4xAA 8xAF, just like my 9800p, but i get 20 more fps! I say hold on until the new ATi card comes out.

Pandora's Box
09-16-04, 08:26 PM
the increase is there but im not fully impressed yet. i think its because im cpu bottlenecked. like far cry i cant get above 40fps outside most of the time. total cpu bottleneck.

JTBurn
09-16-04, 08:33 PM
I made that move. No regrets at all.

Xav
09-16-04, 08:48 PM
I went from a 9800Pro to a GT..then to Ultra from there (only cause I'm weak lol..couldn't resist the Ultra box staring at me on the shelf) and I noticed a nice difference. I didn't however see much difference going from GT to Ultra but I'm happy anyway.

I wouldn't say the image quality was worse myself...I personally thought my games looked a little more dull when I switched from my 4600 to the 9800P and my girlfriend agreed (she noted it without me pointing it out).

I'd say the first thing I saw when I cranked up the GT was that UT and Doom3 looked richer in color and the framerate shot way up. When I say way up I mean in UT for instance I would use the in game frame rate tool and quite often I would see #s in the red on my 9800 where as now I never see them and my framerate online is almost always at the 85fps cap with the exception of some onslaught maps. Doom I would run on high quality, 1024x768 and stay in the 20s-30s..now I can run ultra quality, 1280x1024 and always stay in the 50-60fps range.

The only thing that I've really had to complain about thus far is a visual anomaly in CoD and even that hasn't been a show stopper.

Good luck with your decision.

Lfctony
09-17-04, 12:21 AM
AA looks just fine on my 6800U, I still fail to see what some people are saying with AA not being applied everywhere. And going to this card from my 9800 Pro, FRs shot right up in almost all games.

Ghostguy
09-17-04, 12:27 AM
I can tell you that the increase is insane. You will absolutely notice the difference and it is definately noticable in games. Id say its worth it.

Believe it! I went from a 9800XT to this, the difference is incredible.
The added bonuses from ATI to Nvidia (at least in my case :D )....
1) All games work with no visual weirdness.
2) Awesome Open GL drivers.
3) The Nvidia Game Profiler will be your best friend.

jimmyjames123
09-17-04, 09:21 AM
Speed and image quality go hand in hand to a certain extent. With a 6800GT, you will be able to increase resolution, AA, and/or AF all while maintaining framerates vs a slower cards like 9800Pro.

Ghostguy
09-17-04, 09:38 AM
Its also worth mentioning that times have changed some. I used to prefer a CPU upgrade before a vid card upgrade. CPU upgrades used to give better frame boosts than vid cards, although some vid cards scaled upwards better than others.
My recent BFG upgrade was a very different experience and a pleasant surprise. It has a noticeable, significant boost in speed as well as visuals.

I played everything @1280 except Doom 3 (@1024) with my Radeon 9800XT, usually with 8xAF on. I still play with those settings only the perfomance is up ALOT higher, and Doom 3 runs at 1280 very comfortably (67.5 in the timedemo, 69.7 @1024). Usually a vid card gives me a decent boost, but this is definately way more noticeable this time around.

Im a very happy camper right now.

Mud
09-17-04, 10:41 AM
i went from a 9700pro to the V9999GE, although i was forced (the 9700pro fried). its an upgrade, but not a huge one...games like far cry seem to run slower even. if you have a 256MB 9800pro i'd definately say don't bother (at least until prices come down), a 128MB is a judgement call...you could always recoup some funds by selling the old card. clocking the V9999GE from 350/1000 to 420/1200 with only a small framerate increase shows you need a killer cpu to get a big gain.

tobywong
09-17-04, 12:08 PM
"I recently switched from a R9800p ( 450/760 ) to a BFG 6800GT and I can tell, it was not a HUGE upgrade AT ALL. Reason is b/c my 9800p ran every game at high details,"

Your 9800p can run farcry or doom3 at 1600x1200 with all the goodies turned on? Mine sure can't. You are talking about the differences between two _generations_ of cards. So yes, the current gen cards (from both ati and nvidia) represent a sizable jump forward in performance from the previous gen cards.

Xav
09-17-04, 01:36 PM
You also have to consider that he's looking at a GT vs. the GE (which is a 6800NU) so it will be faster as a whole due to an extra quad. :inform:

Mud
09-17-04, 02:20 PM
i went from a 9700pro to the V9999GE, although i was forced (the 9700pro fried). its an upgrade, but not a huge one...games like far cry seem to run slower even. if you have a 256MB 9800pro i'd definately say don't bother (at least until prices come down), a 128MB is a judgement call...you could always recoup some funds by selling the old card. clocking the V9999GE from 350/1000 to 420/1200 with only a small framerate increase shows you need a killer cpu to get a big gain.

i take it back...whilst i realise that when the cpu is the major bottleneck the framerate generally stays pretty constant devoid of graphical detail settings i was having frame dips on medium detail settings (1024x768). just for ****s and giggles i turned everything up to very high (medium AA, highest AF) and i swear the framerate is higher now. figure that one out...

i maintain the 9800pro ain't a bad card though.

Xav
09-17-04, 02:41 PM
Agree 120% =) It's a fantastic card.

Hambone
09-17-04, 02:45 PM
OK, thanks for all the help. I went ahead and picked up a BFG 6800 GT OC today. :clap:

I was amazed to find out that they are near impossible to find retail. I thought they would have been well stocked by now.

So, I guess I need to look into which drivers to use (NVIDIA ref or BFG's and which version). And, I'd rather be safe and not overclock, but I've seen a lot of talk about this card easily oc'ing to Ultra speeds for most people. So, maybe I should try overclocking a little...

Thanks Again,

Lifetime Card record for me now is:
-early 6MB Rendition chip card
-Voodoo Rush
-TNT1
-TNT2
-TNT2 Ultra
-GeForce 1
-GeForce 2 GTS
-GeForce3 TI-500
-ATI 9700-Pro
-ATI 9800-Pro
-BFG 6800 GT OC

Xav
09-17-04, 02:53 PM
Grats on your new card! The 61.77s are a great place to start if using beta drivers isn't your thing.

AKDUDE
09-17-04, 03:47 PM
Hambone, does your BFG have the chrome heatsink with two fans? My BFG did, and I thought it would be better than standard sink. I could overclock to decent levels, but my temps where in the high range. I pulled the sink off and found that it was not making good contact with the core, and that the memory was in contact with really thick frag tape, and on top of that, thermal grease, and even THAT wasn't making good contact.
I got a NV Silencer and it dropped my temps 12 c at idle and 20c at load.

Hambone
09-17-04, 03:52 PM
Yes, the heatsink of the card I got looks like it's made of cooper.
I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet.

How were you checking temps?
NV Silencer? The HSF looked unique with the heatsink being large and the fans being in two locations. Is this made to be an exact match to the layout. How much is one and how hard is it to put one on? (considering I've never replaced a GPU HSF).

Thanks!

Pantherman
09-18-04, 12:29 AM
The 6800 GT is a significant upgrade over the 9800 Pro' however, you need a really fast CPU to take full advantage of it. That Athlon XP 2500+ really isn't fast enough to get the most out of the 6800 GT. You'll still see a difference with AA and AF turned on, but you won't see much difference at resolutions of 1024X768 and lower. Get at least a 3200+ to make the upgrade worthwhile.

Hambone
09-18-04, 01:13 AM
I'm running my 2500+ @ 11 x 210Mhz, which should be a little better than a stock 3200+

One thing that's wierd is that in FarCry with my graphics settings the same as they were with the 9800Pro, things looked really blurry and undefined. It was like a step down. But I turned the graphics levels up (many from medium to high) and turned off AA and everything then ran smoother and looked better than on the 9800Pro. It was just weird at first.

The cool thing is Doom3. I cranked up all the graphics settings and turned on x4 FSAA and it ran much smoother and looked a whole lot better than on the 9800Pro.

So, I'm very happy so far. Still learning though...

Mud
09-18-04, 07:43 AM
I'm running my 2500+ @ 11 x 210Mhz, which should be a little better than a stock 3200+

One thing that's wierd is that in FarCry with my graphics settings the same as they were with the 9800Pro, things looked really blurry and undefined. It was like a step down. But I turned the graphics levels up (many from medium to high) and turned off AA and everything then ran smoother and looked better than on the 9800Pro. It was just weird at first.

The cool thing is Doom3. I cranked up all the graphics settings and turned on x4 FSAA and it ran much smoother and looked a whole lot better than on the 9800Pro.

So, I'm very happy so far. Still learning though...

this is what i'm saying i found with far cry; medium settings (excl. a couple of very highs, like water), no AA, 1xAF looked and ran pants. now 'high' AA (4x?), 4xAF, very high everything and all is smooth. :retard:

Dazz
09-18-04, 09:39 AM
You really need a very high spec Pentium 4 3.4+GHz or a Athlon 64 2+GHz to get the most out of the cards, when my ASUS 9999GE comes i will tell you what it's like on a A64 3500+. I myself don't care about FSAA so long as i have AF :)