PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT and MSI Neo2 Platinum

ppeccin
09-16-04, 09:14 PM
Please help me.
I'm from Brazil, so please forgive my english.. :angel2:

I'm upgrading, and I've alredy ordered my new mobo, memory and processor. I'm getting an A643500+, one MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum and 1Gb OCZ 3200 EL Platinum rev2.

Since I live in Brazil, I'm not just 20 min. away of any store... And it will be a very hard time for me if I happen to get a setup that does not work good.

After a LOT of research, I'm almost decided on wich video card to get. I think I'll buy one BFG 6800GT OC.

BUT, after I saw all these posts about problems with the 6800's (stuttering freezing, etc), I'm REALLY SCARED. Now I cannot decide between the 6800GT and the X800XT... Actually, there is a lot of people saying it is a problem with the 6800's AND the nForce3 250 chipset (the one I ordered).

Please, It would help me a LOT if people that have THE SAME MOBO as I have post some comments about these issues.
Please, only give an advice if you have this mobo, or if you really have the knowledge to help me decide.

I would like just to have a card thar works stably, will do a little OC, and would like to play games without stutters or hiccups.

Thank all of you very much.

Pandora's Box
09-16-04, 09:18 PM
First off, your English is great in my opinion.

I do have this board (still saving for processor) and I am knowledgeable...

so, for the nforce 3 250 chipset to not stutter with the 6800 series:

in the bios of the motherboard find a setting called fastwrites, and disable it. Then look for a setting called aperture size. set it to 256MB. Then when you get windows loaded and the drivers all setup. Grab an overclocking utility (such as coolbits2) and make sure your 2d speeds are the same as your 3d speeds.

You should be a ok.

but like I said I havent actually used the board yet, so wait for some other comments.

btw welcome to nvnews :p

PaiN
09-16-04, 09:34 PM
ppeccin....I can not recommend the combo(BFG 6800GT \ MSI K8N Neo2) you are planning to use. I used the exact same and it was nothing but a headache.....If your not inclined or dont have the means to be switching and exchanging parts, you should seriously consider a different setup.
Take this from someone with experience. I'm back to my P4EE after weeks of trying to get the damn fool K8N Neo2 to run right and I couldn't be happier.
Anyway...don't say you weren't warned :rolleyes:

Pandora's Box
09-16-04, 09:44 PM
would be nice if you explained what happend?

ppeccin
09-16-04, 09:44 PM
ppeccin....I can not recommend the combo(BFG 6800GT \ MSI K8N Neo2) you are planning to use. I used the exact same and it was nothing but a headache.....If your not inclined or dont have the means to be switching and exchanging parts, you should seriously consider a different setup.
Take this from someone with experience. I'm back to my P4EE after weeks of trying to get the damn fool K8N Neo2 to run right and I couldn't be happier.
Anyway...don't say you weren't warned :rolleyes:

Oh My God... :-(
I'm in trouble then... I've already ordered the processor and the mobo. I cannot exchange them anymore... :-(
The only thing I still can change is the video card...

What problems did you have, specifically?
Thanks...

camelot
09-16-04, 09:48 PM
Well, to counter Pain, my system is running solid - zero problems with the 6800GT and my NEO2. I believe Pain was using an FX53 chip and not the 3500+ - a few people have said the FX53 doesnt seem to work that well.

Pandora's Box
09-16-04, 09:49 PM
ahh yes thats right! i think riptide was having the same problem. i think anyway. cant remember.

PaiN
09-16-04, 09:50 PM
Pan..yes it would be nice...but since there happens to be a 3+ page thread of mine and a 9+ page thread of Riptide's on the subject....I think I'll pass on the rehash.
Look for our MSI K8N Neo2 threads in CPUs & Motherboards....

ppeccin
09-16-04, 09:51 PM
Well, to counter Pain, my system is running solid - zero problems with the 6800GT and my NEO2. I believe Pain was using an FX53 chip and not the 3500+ - a few people have said the FX53 doesnt seem to work that well.

Hi camelot, thank you.
Please tell me:
Wich games are you playing?
Did you have do switch FW off, or any other tweak?
Did you have stuttering, or litte pauses in your games (I dont mean 2-3 sec freezing, but people are saying the games are not smooth, and you keep getting a hiccup every second or so. They say this problem does not happen with ATI cards). Do you have any problem like these little pauses?

Thanks a LOT.

PaiN
09-16-04, 09:53 PM

Camelot....Honest, do you really think its about the CPU??...The chance is minimal..You're one of the lucky ones with out a major problem (or more :rolleyes: ).0

ppeccin
09-16-04, 09:57 PM
Please people, dont start a war. Just try to help me.
I'm not a native english speaker, please dont make me confused.
Thanks.

ppeccin
09-16-04, 10:10 PM
No more hints?
What should I do? Get an X800XT?

Pandora's Box
09-16-04, 10:23 PM
patience. not everyone browses the forum at 11:30pm :p

camelot
09-16-04, 10:37 PM
For games, i've played or am playing Farcry, Doom3, CS:S beta, EQ and EQ2 beta (:)) Medal of Honor and a few others too. Ive not had one single problem with games crashing, not running right or anything else. Ive never had fastwrites on any card ive owned :)

As far as the NEO2, its not perfect, but its been good to me. My gripes are bad temp reading (fixed in bios 1.2, but that bios is unstable) and thats about it. I ran Prime95 for over 9 hours on my system ok before i started folding@home, and its been folding stable ever since @ 2.55Ghz 1.65v. Even Riptides system was ok at no OC i think, im not sure about yours Pain. I think its more than a coincidence that FX53s crop up as an issue when it comes to overclocking at least. Over on Hardforum.com the gripes about the board have again mainly been about not getting mad overclocks, but it seems most people arent happy overclocking to 2.4, they always want a lot more :rolleyes:

saturnotaku
09-16-04, 11:44 PM
I have the 6800 Ultra and the Neo2 (per my sig) and all is well. AGP aperture is at 256, Fastwrites is disabled in the BIOS. No problems at all.

PaiN
09-17-04, 04:52 AM
No warring here..:)
I had a really bad time, when I changed over to an A64 system. Major issues with both the MSI K8N Neo2 and K8T Neo2. I'm out many dollars and lots of time...So, its a sore spot with me now.
If you've already ordered the parts, might as well wait and see how it goes....

ppeccin
09-17-04, 10:37 AM
Well guys. Thank you very much.
I really cannot change the mobo and the processor anymore, so I think I'll just wait and see.
Even if this motherboard has problems, I think I'll have to live with them.

The point now is: what video card do I get?
Will I really have problems if I put one BFG 6800GT, or a Leadtek 6800 GT???

Since I cannot change the mobo, will it be better if I go to the X800XT?

I have to decide on the video card soon...

Thanks.

Pandora's Box
09-17-04, 12:32 PM
is the x800 xt your looking at the x800 xt PE or just a plain x800 xt?

ppeccin
09-17-04, 12:37 PM
is the x800 xt your looking at the x800 xt PE or just a plain x800 xt?

I did not choose any. What is the difference? (is it just the clock 500 to 520)?

Pandora's Box
09-17-04, 02:03 PM
yes just the clock speed. the x800 xt and xt pe however are faster than the 6800 GT. so it is still a good choice.

ppeccin
09-17-04, 03:21 PM
yes just the clock speed. the x800 xt and xt pe however are faster than the 6800 GT. so it is still a good choice.

Hummm... Some people say it's not, and that in the near future it will be a thing of the past due to SM3.0.
Despite of the price, what would you get?

Oh, the more I research, the more difficult it is to make a decision...

Pandora's Box
09-17-04, 03:36 PM
despite the price what would i get? *looks at 6800 gt in my computer*. yeap 6800 gt.

ppeccin
09-17-04, 08:06 PM
despite the price what would i get? *looks at 6800 gt in my computer*. yeap 6800 gt.
So you mean tha a 6800GT is BETTER than an X800XT, overall???