PDA

View Full Version : Flashing down ASUS 5950 > 5900

JemyM
09-17-04, 05:20 AM
(sorry if this is in the wrong forum, there's too many of them, and no topics fit what this message contain)

I have had many problems with my 5900 graphiccard lately, and I have a few thoughts about what it could be, but I dont know for sure.

Basicly games just freeze (Starwars Galaxies, Doom 3, Sims 2). I have reinstalled windows from scratch, but the issues remain.

One thing that improved alot was to switch from my Leadtek Winfast 5950 bios to asus 5950 with nvflash, which removed a graphic corruption issue, but I still have random freezeups.

What I want to do now is to downgrade the bios to asus 5900 again, but nvflash just tells me the bios are not compatible with the current card and wfflash refuses to downgrade as well.

Anyone have a clue upon what I can use?

Best Regards
JemyM

rewt
09-17-04, 06:49 AM
you've tried nvflash -5 -6 bios.rom?

EciDemon
09-17-04, 10:54 AM
Flashing your card with a bios that is not ment for it _might_ just give you these kinds of results even if others are sucsessful. It's called "you do it at your own risk" for a reason...
And never ever atempt these things if your not 100% sure what your doing and know for 100% what to do if something goes wrong. Im not trying to be mean to you or anything. There are no warrenties for this.

Bigwave
09-18-04, 03:14 AM
As long as you have a PCI card to use if the flash doesn't work go for it. Can't really do much damage that can't be fixed with another flash with a PCI card and AGP card in.

JemyM
09-19-04, 03:48 AM
nvflash 5.08 (nvflash -5 -6 bios.rom) did not work.

nvflash 4.41 worked

I got the flash made, and the computer have worked perfectly for two days now...

You know, I reflashed my graphiccard a long time ago... almost a year I think... and its first now I started to have theese problems...

ricercar
09-19-04, 05:32 AM
There's a BIOS lookup table in the video drivers. If NVIDIA changes the lookup table so it no longer recognizes your hacked BIOS, then you'll get problems you never saw before. Unpredictable, undefined behavior.

Saw this happen with my NV35GL engineering BIOS; with 61.77, whenever the card entered 3D modes, the fan would stop instead of go into high speed. Restored the original (unhacked) BIOS and now it's fine.