PDA

View Full Version : Removing Leadtek 6800GT HSF Shroud (PICS)

GANZ
09-17-04, 09:27 AM
Thought I would post some pics of removing the HSF shroud on my new Leadtek 6800GT. The copper they put on there is fantastic but the crappy fan doesn't cool worth spit.

My card is flashed @ 1.3V 400/1100. Stock the card was running ~55C/67C at rest and load. Now it's at ~47C/55C. The load temp is 3DMark03 in a loop for about an hour. I'm curious to see how far I can OC now. Sorry that there aren't many pics but the battery on my camera was running out.

After I took the shroud off I strapped a 92mm 37CFM fan on there. You have to completely remove the HSF to get the plastic shroud off. It's held on by the four screws you see in pic one. The HS makes good contact with the card stock but I cleaned it off and put sone AS3 on there anyway.

http://home.comcast.net/~guin33/1.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~guin33/3.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~guin33/2.JPG

Pandora's Box
09-17-04, 09:39 AM
any more pics?

dpagan
09-17-04, 09:43 AM
what temps are you getting now?

GANZ
09-17-04, 09:52 AM
Sorry no more pics. I didn't think to take pics until after I started then I realized my camera batt was almost dead.

Temps are in the first post.

It was very easy to take off. Only the 2 plastic clips and the four spring mounted screws hold the HSF on. After those are off it pops right off.

myshkinbob
09-17-04, 11:21 AM
man, i have the oem model of the leadtek 6800GT and the hsf isn't half as well done. It's single slot instead of double, and under the fan was a huge hole in the copper. I wonder if i can find someone with a leadtek retail GT hsf to sell.

GANZ
09-17-04, 11:46 AM
man, i have the oem model of the leadtek 6800GT and the hsf isn't half as well done. It's single slot instead of double, and under the fan was a huge hole in the copper. I wonder if i can find someone with a leadtek retail GT hsf to sell.

Yea, I was pretty impressed with it. Definitely the best "stock" fan I have seen. Nice quality work, solid copper and the fins make good contact with the base. I was also very impressed with the good contact between the HSF and the chips. I remember peeling the HSF off my 9700Pro to find the HS was only touching only about 10% of the core!! I'm pretty happy with 55C under load @ 35C ambient with a 30 minute mod.

BioHazZarD
09-17-04, 11:50 AM
IM impressed too with my leadtek, i dont think im gonna change it for the nv5 silencer.

iwbs
09-17-04, 12:16 PM
Will the temperature decrease without the black plastic cover?

GANZ
09-17-04, 12:33 PM
Will the temperature decrease without the black plastic cover?

I don't think so with the stock fan. The cover keeps what little air the stock fan moves flowing over the HS. With out the cover the POS stock fan can only cool what is directly under it and misses the outer portion which cools the RAM. That's why I strapped a 92mm fan onto the HS. It covers the middle portion for the core and the outer RAM sinks. If you notice the fins on the core point in a different direction than the ones that cool the RAM. Without the plastic cover you need a fan that can cover both.

pcweltz
09-17-04, 02:12 PM
I've been considering clipping the frame off a 60x38mm or 70x25mm and putting it in place of the factory fan inside the shroud. I've also considered mounting a 70mm fan on the air intake (after removing the wire grill) to boost the factory fan...

GANZ
09-17-04, 02:27 PM
I've been considering clipping the frame off a 60x38mm or 70x25mm and putting it in place of the factory fan inside the shroud. I've also considered mounting a 70mm fan on the air intake (after removing the wire grill) to boost the factory fan...

I tried mounting an old AMD stock HS fan over the hole but the fan wasn't putting out enough CFM. If you can find a small fan that moves lots of air that would probably work good. I like using a bigger fan because you get more CFM with less DB's. Right now I'm moving 40CFM and I can hardly hear it. Good Luck.

myshkinbob
09-17-04, 03:55 PM
Just to update, i removed the shroud from my single slot copper oem cooler on my GT, and attached a frameless 92mm @7v fan to the main heatsink, and a frameless 80mm @7v fan to the back heatsink also. My temps went from 89c core 61c ambient, to 79c core 55c ambient, so this mod definitely works well. The card is also completely silent now. for the temps i'd pay attention to the ambient/load delta, previously 28c, now only 14c. The ambient is so high because my case is pretty damn hot anyway.

Antares
09-20-04, 04:41 AM
Nice work, Ganz! Pls tell me, how did you manage to attach the 92 mm fan to the Leadtek heatsink? I want more airflow for my ultra, too... And the bigger fan seems the best idea. Thanks!

GANZ
09-20-04, 03:47 PM
Nice work, Ganz! Pls tell me, how did you manage to attach the 92 mm fan to the Leadtek heatsink? I want more airflow for my ultra, too... And the bigger fan seems the best idea. Thanks!

Right now I just have a small piece of wire going through one of the HS fins and around the fan :lame: . I haven't come up with a permanent solution yet as I am still testing. Right now I took the fan off and I have one of those dual fans/PCI slot cards blowing air on the card from underneath. Gonna go back to the single 92mm fan for now though because temps were better. I still have a few wire brackets that came with my Thermalright processor heatsink to hold the fan on. I think I'm just going to re-bend 2 of those and use them.

pcweltz
09-20-04, 09:55 PM
Mebbe you could swipe the frameless 92mm fan off of a Zalman 7000, if you're lucky the 3 screw holes might even line up....or you could use some high-grade double sided adhesive tape on the fan motor base to attach it.....if you have a spare 80 or 90 mm fan (or mebbe 120mm, mmm..120mm fan goodness) you could remove the frame and do the same. The core is offset below the heatsink towards the AGP connector, so if you position correctly there would be no "dead spot".

pcweltz
09-20-04, 10:03 PM
Leadtek spent a lot of time coming up with a really nice copper heatsink....WTF were they thinking putting some piddly little 60x15mm fan on it? I think they should have integrated a YSTech 70x10 TMD II fan into the shroud. Putting the fan blades up off of the heatsink would reduce turbulence noise..

Antares
09-21-04, 03:16 AM
Thanks Ganz! I will remove the hsf myself and I will also look for a viable alternative to mounting a 92 fan. That factory fan is waaay too small for that supercool heatsink. They should've mounted a bigger fan.