PDA

View Full Version : FarCry settings-personal preference

Pages : [1] 2

Buck Armstrong
09-17-04, 10:17 PM
I just got a eVGA 6800 GT, running at 400/1.12. So I'm playing with different FarCry settings, and am curious what everyone else uses? Do you prefer higher resolution at the cost of lower AA & AF, or vice versa?

I'm finding that even OCed, with all other settings max quality, I have to pick between:
-1600x1200 w/2xAA & 4xAF
-1280x1024 w/4xAA & 8xAF

Still not sure which I like better...or if I can even tell a difference. :)

P4 3C GHz Northwood
Intel 875PBZ
1 GB Corsair TwinX-3200XL 2-2-2-5
eVGA GF 6800 GT @400/1.12 (65.76)
SB Audigy 2 ZS
120 GB WD Caviar SE SATA 7200rpm

FarCry patch 1.2 w/SM3.0 enabled.

jAkUp
09-17-04, 10:26 PM
Take the higher resolution :)

Buck Armstrong
09-17-04, 10:30 PM
Take the higher resolution :)

So you play at 1600x1200? What AA/AF? Everything else highest quality?

jAkUp
09-17-04, 10:34 PM
Yes... I play all games at 1600x1200 2x/4x

Games just look better to my eyes with higher resolutions, not the mention the text is smaller and doesnt block up as much of the screen... I like that :)

Edge
09-17-04, 10:35 PM
In that case, I'd say take the higher resolution. If it was 1600x1200 WITHOUT any AA, then I would've suggested the lower res with less effects. But as long as you can use at least some AA at 1600x1200, that should be more than enough.

Ghostguy
09-17-04, 10:36 PM
All games @1280 with 8xAF. Im also using sm 3.0 on Far Cry.

Rytr
09-17-04, 10:48 PM
1024x768 has been my favorite resolution setting for some time but I am starting to migrate to 1280x1024 on my 19" monitor at 75Hz. FarCry looks good at both resolutions with 4xAA/8xAF, everything in-game set to high or above.

shaker718
09-17-04, 11:48 PM
i've been wanting to buy far cry but the damn demo looks like sh!t. anyone else having this problem? if its on another thread then sorry for the repetition, but the demo looks corrupted (no water, clipping floating stuff etc) and im afraid that if i shell out the money for the full version that it'll look the same.

therapture
09-18-04, 12:24 AM
i've been wanting to buy far cry but the damn demo looks like sh!t. anyone else having this problem? if its on another thread then sorry for the repetition, but the demo looks corrupted (no water, clipping floating stuff etc) and im afraid that if i shell out the money for the full version that it'll look the same.

No, the original install of FC looks like that (crap) on the 6800's....you NEED to install the 1.1 patch (or 1.2) and it fixes those llama issues you describe.....

Buck Armstrong
09-18-04, 12:55 AM

I just finished Doom 3 a couple days ago, and am about 4 levels in to FarCry. And IMO, Doom 3 was great but FarCry is better.

Not only does it not look like sh*t...its the most visually appealing game I've ever seen. Its like taking an armed vacation in the South Pacific. :)

Subtestube
09-18-04, 01:41 AM
No, the original install of FC looks like that (crap) on the 6800's....you NEED to install the 1.1 patch (or 1.2) and it fixes those llama issues you describe.....

If you want *some* idea of what it'll actually look like (I gather the demo doesn't have all the advanced shaders in it anyhow...), get 3d-Analyze from Here (http://www.tommti-systems.de/go.html?http://www.tommti-systems.de/main-Dateien/files.html), select the Farcry executable, and change your device ID to either a Radeon 9800 or a GF 5900... then the effects will work. Not quite as well as they should, but they do work.

ynnek
09-18-04, 02:21 AM
What do you mean, not as quite as well as they should? Quality wise it should look perfect with 2.0

Performance wise, I guess shader 3.0 should give some more performance boost.. if it ever comes out for FC.

If you want *some* idea of what it'll actually look like (I gather the demo doesn't have all the advanced shaders in it anyhow...), get 3d-Analyze from Here (http://www.tommti-systems.de/go.html?http://www.tommti-systems.de/main-Dateien/files.html), select the Farcry executable, and change your device ID to either a Radeon 9800 or a GF 5900... then the effects will work. Not quite as well as they should, but they do work.

Subtestube
09-18-04, 07:38 AM
No, I've been informed (and I could be wrong on this) that the demo of Far Cry only includes the DX 8.1 shaders - not the full powered 9.0 ones. Hence why the quality isn't perfect. Also, in my own experience when using 3d-analyze to make the demo look better, the water at a distance seems... blocky for want of a better word. Anywho... it could all be my own misapprehensions as to what it's supposed to look like.

superklye
09-18-04, 10:51 AM
I've got mine at:

1280x1024
8xS FSAA
16x AS
everything on Very High

It runs like a dream and looks damned good.

Subtestube
09-19-04, 09:54 PM
No, 3d-Analyze allows you to misreport various settings regarding your card, thus allowing you to get any nice effects during the Demo or unpatched versions of Far Cry at all with a 6800. That shadowing artifact... I couldn't help you with to be honest (I assume it is the shadow that you're talking about). Shadowing problems are really pretty common, so I imagine someone else has had the same thing... it's just that most methods for shadowing really aren't perfect. I don't actually know how Far Cry does it, as I've not looked into it.

BlackSun
09-19-04, 10:35 PM
Which patch has Pixel Shader 3.0 in it? And where would you get it?

superklye
09-19-04, 10:40 PM
Which patch has Pixel Shader 3.0 in it? And where would you get it?

1.2 and it was recalled. You'll have to do some searching or maybe someone here has a link/can send it to you.

BlackSun
09-20-04, 10:25 AM
1.2 and it was recalled. You'll have to do some searching or maybe someone here has a link/can send it to you.

Thats what I thought. It was recalled becuase it wasnt working right with some of the ATi cards but worked fine with Nvidias? Anyone have any problems with it?

And can someone PLEASE post a link to it. TIA!!

Ghostguy
09-20-04, 10:29 AM
I use the 1.2 with no trouble. (61.77)

Buck Armstrong
09-20-04, 10:43 AM
Thats what I thought. It was recalled becuase it wasnt working right with some of the ATi cards but worked fine with Nvidias? Anyone have any problems with it?

And can someone PLEASE post a link to it. TIA!!

Apparently thats why it was recalled, but I didn't have FarCry then (or a card that could play it) so I wasn't paying attention. All I can tell you is 1.2 w/SM3.0 enabled works fine for me (6800 GT).

Here's a link. Make sure you have driver 61.77 or higher plus DirectX 9.0c already installed, then apply the patch and add this to your command line (Target line in your shortcut to run FarCry): "r_sm30path 1". The "ReadmeSM30.txt" file in FarCry\Support folder explains this in greater detail, but please note you DO NOT need the "-devmode" line!

Patch: http://www.farcryspot.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=3

BlackSun
09-20-04, 11:41 AM
Apparently thats why it was recalled, but I didn't have FarCry then (or a card that could play it) so I wasn't paying attention. All I can tell you is 1.2 w/SM3.0 enabled works fine for me (6800 GT).

Here's a link. Make sure you have driver 61.77 or higher plus DirectX 9.0c already installed, then apply the patch and add this to your command line (Target line in your shortcut to run FarCry): "r_sm30path 1". The "ReadmeSM30.txt" file in FarCry\Support folder explains this in greater detail, but please note you DO NOT need the "-devmode" line!

Patch: http://www.farcryspot.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=3

Thanks for the info. I tried DLing it but the link above is broke. Did you notice a difference with the patch in the way the game looks?

Buck Armstrong
09-20-04, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the info. I tried DLing it but the link above is broke. Did you notice a difference with the patch in the way the game looks?

My link doesn't work or the download itself didn't work? If my link, just go to farcryspot.com and click FCSpot downloads on the left, then "Patches" under Official Releases. 1.2 is at the top of the list.

I noticed no difference in appearance, but I only played the 1st level without 1.2. Then I applied the patch and replayed the 1st level. Looks the same, but is faster and smoother; since the average frame rate seems a bit higher, dips aren't as bad. For example, I get much better response looking through the binoculars/scope at extreme magnification than I did before (it was sluggish if I zoomed way in on a big group of mercs).

However, I just saw your system specs in your sig, and I'm not sure you even need it to be any faster. :)

saturnotaku
09-20-04, 02:02 PM
I would like to use 1600x1200, 4x AA/4x AF but it gets a bit sluggish in spots. I dropped the resolution down a notch to 1400x1050 and everything looks great with top-notch performance. I have everything set to very high except for water (ultra high) and shadows (medium).

BlackSun
09-20-04, 04:31 PM
The link worked but I think they removed the DL. It comes up as page not found. Can someone please forward another link. I searched Google and couldn't find a working one. I would like to see if I get a big frame jump with it. And I was told with SM3.0 that the GFX would be a little nicer.

Subtestube
09-20-04, 07:03 PM
As a matter of interest, what setting did you change in 3d-Analyse to fix it?