PDA

View Full Version : My proposed wireless network setup

ElderDruid
09-18-04, 10:43 PM
I would appreciate feedback on the attached image. I want my PC's to connect wirelessly to a cable modem but not require wireless adapters. Therefore, I'm thinking of using a WAP in conjunction with a wireless router and a standard switch. Any potential problems, or will everything be smooth as silk? Thanks!

CaptNKILL
09-18-04, 11:30 PM
I dont know a LOT about networking, but since they are all the same brand, it will probably work. Brands tend to make all of their items compatible in various configurations, im assuming its the same for networking.

That said, is there a specific reason you dont want to use wireless adapters? I always thought those were pretty simple and efficient (though ive never used them personally). Itd also cut 2 units out of that network, which would really simplify things for you.

ElderDruid
09-18-04, 11:39 PM
I dont know a LOT about networking, but since they are all the same brand, it will probably work. Brands tend to make all of their items compatible in various configurations, im assuming its the same for networking.

That said, is there a specific reason you dont want to use wireless adapters? I always thought those were pretty simple and efficient (though ive never used them personally). Itd also cut 2 units out of that network, which would really simplify things for you.

Thanks. I was concerned about signal quality problems with individual wireless adapters. Maybe something in the PC would interfere with the wireless signal, or visa versa.

einstein_314
09-19-04, 02:15 PM
Thanks. I was concerned about signal quality problems with individual wireless adapters. Maybe something in the PC would interfere with the wireless signal, or visa versa.

I'm using a dlink wireless router with a wireless nic. no problems here. The only problem I had at one point was my wireless mouse/keyboard (Logitech) reciever was too close to the nic and was interfering. But I changed it's location and it works great.

Sazar
09-19-04, 02:21 PM
looks like a decent setup... and flexible...

wrt what einstein said bout the logitech receiver... my netgear wifi router and my logitech RF receiver are about 2 inches apart... I don't have any problems with interference but I think it might be prudent for me to move it :D

thanks einstein... will see if I get a boosted signal in the living room (currently 80+ %)

AthlonXP1800
09-19-04, 03:10 PM
The network layout is wrong and unnecessary, you dont really need these DSS and WAP because the wireless router already have both DSS and WAP built in the router like my Linksys wireless router. You will need just the router to connect to cable modem and your 2 PCs connected to the router. My desktop PC wired to the router's port 1 and my laptop is wireless to the router.

If your 2 PCs dont have wireless, you will need to buy 2 wireless NIC cards.

jnd3
09-19-04, 06:42 PM
Yah, ditch the WAP and the second switch and use the wirless router. You're just adding extra latency to your network. You might need to get some wireless cards (or USB adapters), but it's cheaper than buying another WAP and router. I have that setup (cable model + Netgear wireless G router + PC with 801.11b USB adapter + 3 laptops with wireless cards) at home and it works great. (Before that I had the D-Link DI614+ and it worked just as well.)

ElderDruid
09-20-04, 08:35 AM
The network layout is wrong and unnecessary, you dont really need these DSS and WAP because the wireless router already have both DSS and WAP built in the router like my Linksys wireless router. You will need just the router to connect to cable modem and your 2 PCs connected to the router. My desktop PC wired to the router's port 1 and my laptop is wireless to the router.

If your 2 PCs dont have wireless, you will need to buy 2 wireless NIC cards.

The problem is that the cable modem connection is across the room from where the desks will be, and I don't want to / can't run any cables across the floor. That's why I'm thinking about this configuration.

As for why I'm not using wireless network adapters, it comes down to the potential for interference and/or dropped connections. With the WAP, I can place it a lot closer to the router and only have that one wireless connection to worry about.

jnd3
09-20-04, 09:29 AM
Interference is going to be negligible. You can adjust the channel on the wireless router if there is interference and find one that works best. Our router hangs out under a little table with the cable modem, far from any computer in the house. And we have no problems with connection speeds or interference or whatever. Embrace the freedom of no wires! (And turn on WPA or WEP!)

AthlonXP1800
09-20-04, 03:35 PM
The problem is that the cable modem connection is across the room from where the desks will be, and I don't want to / can't run any cables across the floor. That's why I'm thinking about this configuration.

As for why I'm not using wireless network adapters, it comes down to the potential for interference and/or dropped connections. With the WAP, I can place it a lot closer to the router and only have that one wireless connection to worry about.

You wont have to worry about interference or dropped connections if placed your cable modem and the router across the room or in other room. My dad and sister used the laptop often downstair in the kitchen, it around 8 metres from the laptop in the kitchen to my wireless router, it got excellent signal, they never experienced either interference or dropped connections. I was used the laptop once in the summer in my garden, it worked wonderful with excellent signal at 15 metres from the laptop in the garden to my router in my bedroom.

Now my friend bought the router and wireless NIC cards, he placed the router in his living room connected to his client PC and he accessed internet in his bedroom upstair on his main PC 10 metres from the router. My uncle just bought the same router I got, he put the router in his second bedroom connected to ADSL modem and he use the laptop in his living room all the time. :)

ynnek
09-20-04, 03:44 PM
Devils advocate:
I say ditch the wireless totally. I run a similar setup, except instead of a wireless link from my router to another switch, I run an 100 ft cat5e (100 mbit) ethernet cord directly between my wireless router(in my bedroom) and the switch(in the computer room). I do it that way, so I don't have to drag more than one wire out of the bedroom into the computer room (which has 3 computers)

In your cause, its simple.. Buy a 50 or 100 ft cable.. and lay the cable down against the wall around the room, behind desks, couches, beds, tables, etc

depending on your "air", wireless can randomly drop, reduce performance, and increase lag sporatically and unevenly.

My HTPC downstairs is the only thing connected wirelessly, to get channel guide updates, and to occasionally transfer a vid over to my other computers.

Eventually, I will also get a laptop and have it wireless too, but that will be for casual email/web/im use on the couch.