PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA Display Driver Service

Pages : [1] 2

f508
09-19-04, 10:05 AM
Anyone knows what is this for: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc32.exe) ?
This "Provides system and desktop level support to the NVIDIA display driver" doesen't say anything ....

Hase1
09-19-04, 10:19 AM
I guess its for Application Detection to Apply the AppProfiles correctly to
the Corresponding EXE. Or NVIEW Things i am not really 100Percent sure.

And/Or somekind of Shaderreplacementlibary which changes on load
the Normal Shadercode into an optimized Version for the NV4x Architecture but i think thats is in nv4_mini.sys oder nv4_disp.dll.

But i am also interested in the real functionality of nvsvc32.exe which is
Memoryresistend but you can deaktivate it .

NvViolator
09-19-04, 10:42 AM
See this For more info:

http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/128-p1.php

Lfctony
09-19-04, 10:44 AM
the Normal Shadercode into an optimized Version for the NV4x Architecture

Erm... right.

JRd1st
09-19-04, 11:34 AM
I've read that this service is needed only if you want to change your refresh rate. Otherwise, you can disable it.

Buck Armstrong
09-19-04, 02:49 PM
As far as I can tell, its useless. With it disabled, you can still change or override refresh rates for each resolution, still customize all Nview and driver options, including OCing with Coolbits, and all settings still stick on reboot.

Turn it off. You'll never notice any difference except more free memory on boot. To be safe, you can do what I did and set it to "Manual" instead of "Disabled". That way it won't start automatically on boot, but if its ever needed for any reason, it will start (which, I might add, it never has).

Morrow
09-19-04, 07:39 PM
the Corresponding EXE. Or NVIEW Things i am not really 100Percent sure.

the Normal Shadercode into an optimized Version for the NV4x Architecture but i think thats is in nv4_mini.sys oder nv4_disp.dll.

It has nothing to do with anything of the above. Everyone can disable it without any further implications. In fact, everyone should disable it.

Rytr
09-19-04, 07:45 PM
Thanks, I just disabled it. :)

zaG
09-20-04, 02:43 AM
the Corresponding EXE.

Is it possible to turn the Application Detection off ??? I cant get AA in Halo. I know AA should bring issues in Halo but i want to test it myself ... Better texture issues than play Halo without AA hihi !

Hase1
09-20-04, 04:06 AM
HALO FSAA if you like
edit this File
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvapps.xml
with a XML Editor Frontpage or other at this Passage with "0"
or delete this line.

<PROFILE Label="Halo">
<APPLICATION Label="halo.exe"/>
<PROPERTY Label="prevent_cpl_aa" Value="1" Itemtype="predefined"/>
<PROPERTY Label="image_settings" Value="fffffff6"/>
<PROPERTY Label="aa_default" Value="0"/>
<PROPERTY Label="color_profile" Value="DIGITAL"/>
</PROFILE>

Hase1
09-20-04, 04:10 AM
Ive Found some interesting strings inside the
nvsvc32.exe it seams its only Maintainance Things.

SHAppBarMessageshell32.dllGetMonitorInfoWuser32.dl lMonitorFromRectSendInputShell_TrayWndSysListView3 2SHELLDLL_DefViewProgmanNvCplDualviewMoveDesktopIc onsNVTweak\SOFTWARE\NVIDIACorporation\Globalwinsta 0\defaultrundll32.exeNvCpl.dll,NvCplResetToLastMod eNvCplResetToLastActiveVideoRendererDefaultRegistr yModesUpdateHasOccurred%drundll32.exenvcpl.dll,NvC plManageUserSettingsNvCplReduceOrphanedDualViewDis playsNVCPL.DLLrundll32.exeNvCpl.dll,NvCplHandleHot KeyEventrundll32.exeNvCpl.dll,NvCplHandleFlushUnat tachEventNvQTwDispModeWarningrundll32.exeNvCpl.dll ,NvCplHandleDisplayChangerundll32.exeNvCpl.dll,sca leviewrundll32.exeNvCpl.dll,NvCplIndicatorNotify%d rundll32.exeNvCpl.dll,NvCplResetToLastActiverundll 32.exeNvCpl.dll,NvCplApplyColorProfileeHomeRenderW indowProcessLidChangeNvCplHandleDVIHotPlugNvCplGet UserTokenAndNameNVSvcNVIDIADriverHelperService%Sys temRoot%\system32\nvsvc32.exeregsvr32/s%srundll32%s,Nvcmd:NvSvcNVIDIACorporation\StringF ileInfo\040904e2\CompanyNameAsyncRebootPersist:Reg Key:BRDevId:%xDevId:RegDelete:RegWrite:RegisterRun dllRunexeDISPLAYZ╚x╚é╚î╚ľ╚*╚¬╚┤╚żß╚˙Ď▄,ŠE­^˙w  É`ŕ2
śÖA@ÖASOFTWARE\NVIDIACorporation\Global\NVTweakS YSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}LoadLimitedSIDServiceuninstalled.-uninstallServiceinstalled.-installChangeBrightnessWithScreenSaverCurrentSyste mLCIDSeShutdownPrivilegewinsta0RegisterServiceCtrl HandlerExWadvapi32.dllWTSGetActiveConsoleSessionId kernel32.dllWTSQueryUserTokenwtsapi32.dllEnumDispl ayDevicesWUSER32.DLLNVFlushUnattachEventNVCplHotKe yEventNVSmartDimmerEventNVAGPConfigurationEventNVH otPlugChangeEventNVInhibitChangeEventNVLidChangeEv entNVWMDeviceChangeEventNVWMDisplayChangeEventNVPo werConnectorEventNVThermalEventNVDXFullScreenEvent NOTANAMEDEVENTNVScaleEventNVDFPOnNVDFPOffNVSession ChangeEventNVDisplayChangeEventNVModeSwitchEventNV IconEndEventNVIconBeginEventStateVEN_10DEChangeDis playSettingsExWEnumDisplaySettingsExWUSER32.DLLBit IndicatorsSOFTWARE\NVIDIACorporation\Global\NvSvcN vValidateNvidiaCapableNvCplHotPlugAwareFSShutDownN otificationNvCplDaemonRUNDLL32.EXE%s\NvCpl.dll,NvS tartupNVSTARTUPSOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentV ersion\Run 
2    NVSVCPMMWindowClassNVSvcFSTaskExitAPMSupportD etectACEnableSmartDimmerOnACSmartDimmerUpSpeedSmar tDimmerDownSpeedEnableSmartDimmerrundll32.exeNvCpl .dll,PowerManageHelper_Nvcpl0x0012rundll32.exeNvCp l.dll,resetviewNvCplTriggerPageUpdateSetupDiGetDev iceInterfaceDetailWSetupDiGetClassDevsW

SLippe
09-20-04, 10:32 AM
How do I disable this? I've only been able to stop the process in Task Manager, but of course it still loads after rebooting.

Darkoz
09-20-04, 10:55 AM
How do I disable this? I've only been able to stop the process in Task Manager, but of course it still loads after rebooting.

Go to, START, Control panel, Administrative Tools, Services.
Once in Services, find it in the list, double click on it, click on "stop" then next to "start up type" choose "disable".

It's the first thing I do when I install a new driver.

cstring
09-20-04, 12:09 PM
also check Disable under the Log In tab
plus, as an added precaution check under the Recover tab
to be sure it wont restart.

zaG
09-20-04, 12:44 PM
HALO FSAA if you like
edit this File
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvapps.xml
with a XML Editor Frontpage or other at this Passage with "0"
or delete this line.

<PROFILE Label="Halo">
<APPLICATION Label="halo.exe"/>
<PROPERTY Label="prevent_cpl_aa" Value="1" Itemtype="predefined"/>
<PROPERTY Label="image_settings" Value="fffffff6"/>
<PROPERTY Label="aa_default" Value="0"/>
<PROPERTY Label="color_profile" Value="DIGITAL"/>
</PROFILE>

Hmm it doesent work at all :( I deleted this file but i get at startup always this message >>> Halo is not compatible with the AA mode overrides set in the control panel. Please adjust this setting to "Off" or "Application Default". <<< i dont know why ?? :( pls help want AA .... !!

H3avyM3tal
09-20-04, 01:06 PM
Go to, START, Control panel, Administrative Tools, Services.
Once in Services, find it in the list, double click on it, click on "stop" then next to "start up type" choose "disable".

It's the first thing I do when I install a new driver.

you can also go to START -> RUN the type msconfig

saturnotaku
09-20-04, 01:20 PM
Hmm it doesent work at all :( I deleted this file but i get at startup always this message >>> Halo is not compatible with the AA mode overrides set in the control panel. Please adjust this setting to "Off" or "Application Default". <<< i dont know why ?? :( pls help want AA .... !!

This is an issue with DirectX and IIRC, the way Halo handles frame buffers. There was a hack to get AA to work on ATI cards, but it will not work with anything from NVIDIA. Crank up the resolution to 1600x1200 if it bothers you that much. The 6800 is more than capable.

SLippe
09-20-04, 08:45 PM
I get that message but I ignore it and Halo runs fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

SLippe
09-20-04, 08:49 PM
Oh, another thing, I was wondering how people have Fast Writes disabled as well. I've tried it both ways, not sure I could tell the difference. Now that I have that service stopped, I'll try it with Fast Writes disabled again.

Darkoz
09-20-04, 10:18 PM
you can also go to START -> RUN the type msconfig

It's not the same, un-checking it in MSCONFIG will only stop the service until you re-boot your PC, and once your PC starts up again the service will re-start.
Disabling it in "Services", will permanently stop the service from running.

SLippe
09-20-04, 10:53 PM
When you all are talking about msconfig in reference to the nvsvc file, are you talking about under the Startup tab? If so, it isn't under that tab, at least not for me. I had to disable/stop it in Service. And if you uncheck a file under Startup, it won't startup the next time you reboot, that is the whole point of unchecking it in the first place.

zaG
09-21-04, 02:41 AM
I get that message but I ignore it and Halo runs fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah runs fine :) without AA and thats suckz !! 1600x1200 omg no thx ... will delete Halo and kick it in the corner of my room ;) Damn buggy game !

SLippe
09-21-04, 01:10 PM
I run Halo at 4xAA/8xAF @ 1024x768 and it enables it. Just ignore that message when the game starts. You can tell the difference, trust me.

Also, got the Service stopped/disabled, got Fast Writes off and SBA enabled. Awesome!

http://www.slippe.com/images/screenshots/sba_fastwrites.jpg

Lfctony
09-21-04, 01:54 PM
Who's the lady? :)

rewt
09-21-04, 02:30 PM
Grunt, you sneaky SOB!! You've been taking nude pictures of my girlfriend again !!!!

LOL j/k

/dreaming