PDA

View Full Version : New to Nvidia and new to overclocking Nvidia cards -help

Nickeleye
09-19-04, 07:42 PM
First off, new to the forums here. Looks like some good info can be found here and I hope somebody here can help.

I just put together my new system which includes the following hardware:
Athlon XP 3200+ CPU
MSI Neo Platinum motherboard
1 gig of OCZ EL PC3200 RAM
EVGA Nvidia 6800 GT video card

Up until this system I've been using Radeon cards for the last 4 years or so and always overclocked them. I decided to try nvidia this time around because of the performance for the price. I am thinking about overclocking the card to get even more performance gain, but I have no idea where to start. I don't know anything about these cards so I'm hoping some seasoned vets can help me out.

(newb)

MUYA
09-19-04, 07:54 PM
For o/c you can use the o/c utility the NV CP. Or, alternatively you can download Rivatuner from Guru3D and use that. Its quite easy either way.

subbo
09-19-04, 08:13 PM
What MUYA means you need to enable something called "coolbits" in the registry. This opens a new tab in the nvidia settings (under display-> advanced) where you can select to automatically detect your oc setting, and a checkbox that applies the new clocks at every startup. If you're content with the automatic settings, it couldnt be easier.

Nickeleye
09-19-04, 08:52 PM
Cool. So should I expect a decent OC or is it not even worth messing with given my system specs? I'm not going to be doing anything other than using stock cooling at this point since the card is already fast.

Ok, so I did the CoolBits registry entry and was able to find my overclocking settings. How should I go about overclocking this card? Should I focus on the memory before the core, core before memory or a little of both at the same time?

Lastly, what about locking the refresh rates? I noticed that my desktop is running at 1280 x 1024 @ 60hz when I can run it up to 80hz. Can I lock these somehow so I get the best gaming visuals? I just added several custom refresh rates that my monitor supports, but I'm not sure if the games will take advantage of these.

john19055
09-20-04, 12:06 AM
You can go to your properties on the desk top and then click on settings then advance and then click on monitors and set your desktop refreshrate there.I would use coolbits to overclock if that what you want to do and do it in small increments like 5mhz at at time on the core and memory.watch you tempertures so they don' go to high you might check in a after market cooler if you are planning to overclock and leave it at a higher clock because the GT get pretty hot when not even overclocking..I think EVGA has a new bios update out for the GT might check there web site. But most evga 6800Gt will run at 400/1100 but not all it as I always say it is just the luck of the draw if you get one that will overclock good.My EVGA 6800ultra is a good overclocker.

kahloq
09-20-04, 12:09 AM
Cool. So should I expect a decent OC or is it not even worth messing with given my system specs? I'm not going to be doing anything other than using stock cooling at this point since the card is already fast.

Ok, so I did the CoolBits registry entry and was able to find my overclocking settings. How should I go about overclocking this card? Should I focus on the memory before the core, core before memory or a little of both at the same time?

Lastly, what about locking the refresh rates? I noticed that my desktop is running at 1280 x 1024 @ 60hz when I can run it up to 80hz. Can I lock these somehow so I get the best gaming visuals? I just added several custom refresh rates that my monitor supports, but I'm not sure if the games will take advantage of these.

Well for starts for the overclocking......in the nv control panel where you found the clock frequencies page, there are two ways of overclocking it. Both using the clock frequencies page: Both are in the settings
[ performance 3D] drop down option....
1st way is manual and is quite obvious to jsut move the slider.....then you have to push the test settings button. If it passes, you can try upping them more. Try sticking to one at a time ie core or memory, so you know where that particular one's max goes to. Now...even if it passes the test at the highest you can get it, that doesnt mean it will be stable in gaming. usually, you find the highest it will go in the driver panel and then back off by a few mhz to assure stability in gaming, etc. You can also test the overclock by running 3dmark03 and watching for artifacts.
2nd way and i recommend this way only because it will give you a good relative idea of the cards oc ability but is not %100 accurate..try the detect optimal button. Once it finishes, it will show you what it thinks is the best oc. If you are happy with it, click APPLY. However, the detect optimal is a rough guess by the drivers. On my Ultra, detect optimal came back with 455 core and 1150 on the memory. Well its about right for the core, but low on the memory as far as how high my card will overclock....my ultra will do 456 core/1280memory on stock air.
Once you have found a stable speed on the core/ memory settings, you will need to click the checkbox for apply at startup to make the settings stick after reboot. You need to make sure to test the 2D settings as well and apply that too......memory speed will be clocked the same , but the core in 2D can be different...tho some ppl have reported issues if both 3D and 2D core mhz arent set the same.

Yes you can lock refresh rates. Use the Refresh rate overides option.

MUYA
09-20-04, 12:33 AM
u dun need coolbits to use rivatuner ;)

john19055
09-20-04, 01:10 AM
Personaly I don't trust the detect optimal frequency because when I tried it it said I could run 520/1170,I have never seen how high I can go on the core but I just don't trust that ,I have had it to 475/1250 and it ran without any artifacts,I guess it will go higher but 520 seems a little high to me.IMO coolbits is easier then rivatuner,but either one will do the job.If you like all the cool features that rivatuner adds then it is the best choice.

Nickeleye
09-20-04, 10:11 AM
What cool features does riva tuner have? I really just want something that allows me to change core and memory speeds.

MUYA
09-20-04, 10:12 AM
definately ! allows you to play around with other settings etc :D A bit more than the NV control panel with coolbits but just a tad more control possibly ie mip map levels etc.

Download it from guru3d and give it a go! :)

kahloq
09-20-04, 11:44 AM
What cool features does riva tuner have? I really just want something that allows me to change core and memory speeds.

Coolbits will be the easiest thing to use and does not take up more system memory since iots part of the nvidia driver controls. Rivatuner, a good program yes, is a seperate program that will take up some system resources...not alot, but some.

About the detect optimal...I did say that it was a rough guess and is basically an idea of what the card can do...but it is not %100 accurate. In your case john it reported a higher core clock then what is probably near safe, but reported the memory low. When I did it, it got the core about right, but the mem was low.

Nickeleye
09-20-04, 10:22 PM
Speaking of detecting optimal settings... As soon as I chose this option and hit the button to check to see if it would be compatible I got a massive blue screen of death and it said it was going to dump physical memory. I had to restart the computer. What's up with that?

Nickeleye
09-22-04, 09:55 AM
Anybody?

hypertek
09-22-04, 04:49 PM
dont overclock!! becuase once you do.. your gonna get addicted.... and when something new comes out and you cant get it to overclock, ur gonna be very upset.. heheheh

Nickeleye
09-23-04, 02:19 PM
I'm not real worried about getting addicted to overclocking. I've had my "addiction" experiences with my previous rig and I'm kind of out of that whole thing now. I'm into overclocking to the best of the card's ability without adding any extra cooling or volt mods. Should the day come when I want to, I'll give it a shot, but as is the card is pretty fast. I guess I should just try slowly rasing the core and memory speeds until I get artifacts like I did with my old ATI cards. Should I raise the AGP voltage in the system bios at all or just leave it at stock. The AGP clock setting is also locked at 66 mhz as of now.