PDA

View Full Version : Case window..

Riptide
09-19-04, 11:32 PM
Some friends came over today and we installed a case window in my tsunami. I think it looks pretty nice. Word of advice: don't use anything but a dremel tool when you do this. The snips you can buy with the kit are a PITA and ended up scratching part of my case which had to be touched up. There are some small scratches in the case window and the panel that can only be seen at certain angles/lighting. The mirror finish on this tsunami is real easy to scratch even if you're careful.

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/1879/P9190024.jpg

netviper13
09-19-04, 11:55 PM
Very nice window, and that Zalman is teh sexy!

jAkUp
09-20-04, 02:32 AM
Nice! But a question... you have a socket 939 board correct? Just wondering why your memory is set up for single channel mode... or maybe thats the way you set up dual channel on that board? Never seen a 939 board where its slots 1 & 2 for DC mode.....

netviper13
09-20-04, 02:36 AM
Actually I have only seen a few boards stagger the slots, most boards have them side-by-side.

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-127-181-02.JPG/13-127-181-05.jpg/13-127-181-03.JPG/13-127-181-04.JPG

That pic shows the layout of the board.

jAkUp
09-20-04, 02:38 AM
oh.... because I noticed this picture also:

http://pics.woolnet.net/images/0012.jpg

Now in that picture I am almost positive the memory is running in single channel mode, where you can see the different colors referring to the 2 seperate channels... The text above the slots clearly says Green Channel= first channel. I dunno maybe I'm just used to Intel mobos... In intel mobos they are always slots 1 & 3 for dual channel mode...

Viral
09-20-04, 04:03 AM
It's the same for nForce2, but apparently Nforce 3 Ultra's don't do it that way. Maybe MSI screwed up.. or maybe, he never had it running in DC, that would be a shock. heh, but I'm sure Rip would have noticed something was up.

It kinda annoys me because you can be sure the RAM would heat up at least a little more like that.

Riptide
09-20-04, 07:36 AM
Both the MSI and the Abit are/were running in dual channel. jAkUp is used to canterwood boards where the DIMMs are staggered. :)

I don't know about *all* skt939 boards but the two I've used so far were both like this.

I agree that heat is probably more of an issue this way, especially if you are overclocking your RAM.

Sazar
09-20-04, 10:19 AM
very nice picture :)

gj rip :thumbsup:

looks lovely...

btw does the other heatsink not fit on the abit?

Riptide
09-20-04, 10:22 AM
btw does the other heatsink not fit on the abit?
No the SLK948U would fit OK on the Abit I just decided to go back to the Zalman since I have given up on trying to overclock. Plus it free'd up the 90mm enermax which, as you can see in the image, has found a new home mated to the XT's cooler. :)

The SLK948U will find a home eventually. I'm hoping around Christmas to build another machine, this time with a 3500+. That PC will get the SLK948U.

Sazar
09-20-04, 10:30 AM
is there any difference in temps and volume between the two?

once my new job starts up I am gonna get the new swifty and keep my temps/fan volume down..

Riptide
09-20-04, 11:19 AM
is there any difference in temps and volume between the two?
The fan on the Zalman 7000cu is the same size/RPM as the enermax 90mm I was using with the SLK948U. There may be a difference in pitch but not that I'm aware. So in theory they should be real similar.

It's hard for me to tell if there's a difference w/regard to heat. The temps were screwed up on the MSI when I had it going so I can't do any comparisons. I'm starting to wonder if this Abit is giving me temps that are to good to be true. At load yesterday, with a room temp of around 68, it was reporting 38c for the CPU.
once my new job starts up I am gonna get the new swifty and keep my temps/fan volume down..
The new swifty? Is that the one with all those pins sticking out of it? Looks like a porcupine designed it? :)

Sazar
09-20-04, 12:01 PM
yah thats it... it has a massive copper base that looks like it will do the job :)

einstein_314
09-20-04, 03:25 PM
Both the MSI and the Abit are/were running in dual channel. jAkUp is used to canterwood boards where the DIMMs are staggered. :)

I don't know about *all* skt939 boards but the two I've used so far were both like this.

I agree that heat is probably more of an issue this way, especially if you are overclocking your RAM.

I've got an Asus A8V and the dimms are staggered. Needless to say I'm using slots 1 + 3.

Riptide
09-20-04, 03:41 PM
Another reason I should've got the A8V then. :)