PDA

View Full Version : ATi as fast as Nvidia in doom3???

rohit
09-20-04, 04:12 AM
has anyone read this.. kno this,
according to this article on megagames, on editing a file pak000.004 ati cards bcome faster or equally good as the nv cards..
the link: http://www.megagames.com/news/html/pc/doom3enhancetheexperiencept2.shtml

this was first suggested by a person in beyond3d

i still doubt ati's performnace in doom3

Subtestube
09-20-04, 04:26 AM
Well, if it works, top marks to that man. This ATi/NVidia rivalry is so pointless - if they've got a good gaming experience, good for them. In my experience writing shaders, tex lookups (of any kind) are almost always faster than evaluation of functions, unless (of course) they're very very simple functions. At the same time, power functions calc should be pretty cheap really - it is, after all, just a pow function. Most modern architecture should handle it pretty well. I'd be interested to see the changes in performance on an NV40 running this modified shader - I'd hardly be surprised if performance was very similar to the tex lookup. As such (not having Doom 3 yet) I can't test it... but if someone else would be good enough to... ;)

Ahhhm...Again, I'm really not sure of this, a Tex2d lookup should really be pretty damn cheap on any modern architecture, and I can't think why the R3x and up architecture would have such a cry over it. On the other hand... any card that's memory limited rather than core limited in D3 could stand to gain a bit. And 6800NU users out there willing to give this a shot?

rohit
09-21-04, 01:41 AM
Yeah.. according to that article, after making those changes in the file pak000.004, Ati cards perform 30% better, and nv cards fall by a performance drop of 30%.

fivefeet8
09-21-04, 02:10 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34253&highlight=doom+humus

Your about a month late. Still not quite as fast for the most part. 6800 owners aren't going to shader mod doom 3 to run slower on their hardware. It's pretty much an unofficial and unsupported modification until a retail patch is released with it.

PS. Why is this in the Nvidia section?

mustrum
09-21-04, 02:35 AM
I allready posted in non nvidia section but it fits in here:
http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=56518

ATI does shader replacements (without IQ loss) as nvidia does. It's very very close in Doom 3 now. Since ATI will do it with d3d games as well there's a bright future for x800 cards.

Note: Nvidia ist still ahead in Doom3, most likely due to their unique shadow rendering technique.

Mud
09-21-04, 06:07 AM
on my mate's A64 rig, X800XT PE etc it made less than 1fps difference.

mustrum
09-21-04, 07:39 AM
on my mate's A64 rig, X800XT PE etc it made less than 1fps difference.
These drivers aren't yet released. Makes me wonder how your mate could test it.
What you are talking about is the cat 4.9s or the Humus tweak.
This is somethign totally new. It'S shader replacement like nvidia does it.

OWA
09-21-04, 07:50 AM
Heh, game specific optimizations. My how things have changed. :) I think it's a good thing though. Hopefully they'll start doing game specific fixes as well instead of taking the hard line approach of not working with/around/fixing games that they don't think are coded properly.

It looks like ATI is starting to consider the users a little more with this, an attempt at game profiles, and now being able to disable optimizations.

mustrum
09-21-04, 09:30 AM
Heh, game specific optimizations. My how things have changed. :) I think it's a good thing though. Hopefully they'll start doing game specific fixes as well instead of taking the hard line approach of not working with/around/fixing games that they don't think are coded properly.

It looks like ATI is starting to consider the users a little more with this, an attempt at game profiles, and now being able to disable optimizations.
Yeah it took em a while. :D

Mud
09-22-04, 10:13 AM
These drivers aren't yet released. Makes me wonder how your mate could test it.
What you are talking about is the cat 4.9s or the Humus tweak.
This is somethign totally new. It'S shader replacement like nvidia does it.

i'm talking about the megagames link.

mustrum
09-22-04, 10:32 AM
i'm talking about the megagames link.
That's another verion of the humus tweak. It has nothing to do with the optimisations ATI will release in cat 4.10.