PDA

View Full Version : HELP!?.. is my TFT slowing my 6800U card down?

Cinders
09-20-04, 07:04 AM
Just got myself a BFG 6800 Ultra and it's great! Just when I think my system is all setup and spot-on, I get another problem... my TFT screen!

I get tearing on the screen, I guess this is due to the response time of the screen, if I enable V-Sync it gets rid of the problem, however it loses me 20,00 Aquamarks!... If I run Aquamark I get 70,000 marks but with V-Sync enabled it goes down to 50,000 markss.

I'm just wondering if I should get rid of my TFT and go back to my old monitor so that I don't have to enable V-Sync and lose performance. However I don't really want to part with my TFT, it's an 18" Compaq TF8030 and cost me quite a few 's...

Any ideas/comments would be appreciated. I mean the TFT looks nice on the desktop, but if I'm not getting the most out of my 6800 then I guess it's got to go.

Cinders.

WeReWoLf
09-20-04, 07:33 AM
Ur probly better off running ur games with VSync on. That way you can have ur TFT and your 6800U

Scott@Bjorn3D
09-20-04, 07:33 AM
Well think of it this way. Vsync is probably locking you in a 60MHz refresh rate for the screen. So you are only going to display 60FPS. BUT do you need any faster to play games being displayed on your screen? No not really!!

So keep the monitor and Vsync on and you card has plenty of headroom in it. Who cares about the score unless you are going for bragging rights. Most people only turn Vsync off to get the best benchmark scores anyway.

Cinders
09-20-04, 08:32 AM
Hi Scott, thanks for the reply, that has made a lot of sense. I think it's time I stopped tweaking and just played the games it's meant for instead!

Thanks,
Cinders

Scott@Bjorn3D
09-20-04, 08:58 AM
No problem!

Good luck and have fun gaming!!

subbo
09-20-04, 11:05 AM
When I first got my TFT I also felt it gave slower-looking gameplay cause before that I played everything at 100hz which enables the frames to sync better on the screen even without vsync. But you get used to it and like said, vsync is a good option if the game can handle it.