PDA

View Full Version : Sims 2 Dual-monitor scrolling

archerkit
09-20-04, 09:53 AM
Hi all. Anyone having trouble with Sims 2 and dual monitors? If I have edge-scrolling enabled in Sims, and I move my mouse to the left, the cursor actually goes onto my second monitor! It seems to think I'm on the windows desktop. I'm not running Sims in windowed mode, and other games are fine.

This is a 6800GT, 61.77 drivers, XP-SP2..

MUYA
09-20-04, 09:54 AM
Dual monitor? wow....I wish

NyquistLimit
09-20-04, 10:03 AM
Hi all. Anyone having trouble with Sims 2 and dual monitors? If I have edge-scrolling enabled in Sims, and I move my mouse to the left, the cursor actually goes onto my second monitor! It seems to think I'm on the windows desktop. I'm not running Sims in windowed mode, and other games are fine.

This is a 6800GT, 61.77 drivers, XP-SP2..

This also happens in KOTOR with both my 9800pro and 6800GT. No known fix unfortunately except to temporarily disable the secondary monitor or wait for a patch.

Gator
09-20-04, 09:00 PM
I also experience that, but to be honest in a game like Sims2 it does not bother me. It doesn't stop you from scrolling to the left or right, you simply need to bring the cursor to the edge of the screen and it scrolls just fine.

superklye
09-20-04, 09:27 PM
it happens to me in C&C Generals, NWN, KotOR and a few other games. It is really, REALLY annoying but as others have said: no fix. :(

archerkit
09-22-04, 05:29 AM
Wow, I had no idea other games had this problem. Thanks for the input. They all must share something in common. Using Ultramon can fix the problem, since it can turn off the 2nd monitor for particular applications. But that means I'm spending $40 just for that feature. ugh! Oh well, if I find any solutions I'll post here.

Gator
09-22-04, 07:27 AM
Wow, I had no idea other games had this problem. Thanks for the input. They all must share something in common. Using Ultramon can fix the problem, since it can turn off the 2nd monitor for particular applications. But that means I'm spending $40 just for that feature. ugh! Oh well, if I find any solutions I'll post here.

I didn't know Ultramon could disable the 2nd display automatically when you launch certain applications?! Interesting! I'll have to remember that in case I ever have a game that I cannot tolerate that mouse behavior. Like I said for Sims2 it doesn't bother me at all, but if that happen on a game like UT2K4 I would be miserable. Thankfully it does not happen in UT2K4, which leads me to my next question... how come many games work fine with multiple displays, while others experience that weird mouse problem? Hell even some really old games like UT99 don't have that problem.
(wack)

NyquistLimit
09-22-04, 08:19 AM
Well the most annoying thing about it in KOTOR is when you accidently move your mouse off the primary monitor and click on the secondary desktop, thus causing the game to minimise.

With my 9800pro this would cause graphical corruption if I tried to go back into the game (requiring a restart of the game) but I dont experience the same problem with the 6800.

TheSmJ
09-22-04, 12:59 PM
There's an app called Mousejail which locks the cursor in the main display while it runs. To use it, you just run it right along with whatever game you would like to usae it with by running both executables in the shortcut for the chosen game.

http://www.dr-hoiby.com/MouseJail/index.php

Gator
09-22-04, 01:48 PM
There's an app called Mousejail which locks the cursor in the main display while it runs. To use it, you just run it right along with whatever game you would like to usae it with by running both executables in the shortcut for the chosen game.

GOOD LINK! Thanks man!

Behold the resolution to the traveling mouse pointer!!! :ORDER:

archerkit
09-22-04, 03:59 PM

Awesome! You may have just saved me some cash and a ton of headaches! Thanks!!!!

TheSmJ
09-22-04, 09:31 PM
No problem. I found that app back when I was trying to play GTA3 on my dual monitor setup. I've had it on my hard drive ever since.