PDA

View Full Version : Audigy or onboard

zoomy942
09-20-04, 11:06 AM
I am building a pc for someone, and i am using all the athlon 64 goodies, but here's the thing. should a soundblaster audigy platinum be used? or use the onboard audio? here is the board that she is gonna end up with.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/product_detail.asp?model=K8T_Neo-FSR

superklye
09-20-04, 11:20 AM
most people are going to tell you to use on-board because of Creative's terrible drivers, but I have a SB Live! 5.1 and I love it. I say go with the Audigy.

Riptide
09-20-04, 11:22 AM
There should be less CPU utilization with the audigy.

Dazz
09-20-04, 11:28 AM
The diffrence is really minamal unless you are on about an Audigy2 ZS?

saturnotaku
09-20-04, 11:37 AM
If it's just a regular Audigy, then use the onboard. Sure you trade a few CPU cycles, but the audio is at least as good. It's not quite as solid as the A2 ZS, but with my admittedly crappy speakers, I don't really care.

If audio quality with top-end speakers is a top concern, then go with the Audigy. But if someone is going to be listening to MP3s while working on office documents or web surfing, the onboard will do just fine.

zoomy942
09-20-04, 12:42 PM
The diffrence is really minamal unless you are on about an Audigy2 ZS?

nope. its an audigy 1 platinum. he will probably play some doom 3 or age of mythology or far cry.

Smokey
09-20-04, 02:26 PM
It depends on the person!

Sound is almost always the most overlooked regarding pcs IMO. If you like your sound, in games, music and movies, then never use the damn onboard, and get some decent speakers/headphones. If you have crappy speakers/headphones, then yeah, using onbaord vs soundcard isnt going to make much difference.

Now regarding the Audigy, does he already have this card? If not, does he really need the features of the Platinum? Also regarding that mobo, havent I read on this forum people having alot of problems with it?

zoomy942
09-20-04, 03:21 PM
he already has it, but i dont know if she will need all those platinum features. i hope not... maybe she'll give it to me for my next pc someday :)
and i hope people arent havign troubles with this mobo.. cause i know she is gonna be buggin me about it.

ynnek
09-20-04, 03:52 PM
How about this.. go with onboard. if it doesn't work out, get the Audigy.

onboard could be good... its just that alot of mb manufactures skimp on the design and converter, to save a few bucks.

Slyder
09-20-04, 04:39 PM
I just use a standard SoundBlaster 128 rather then my on board sound, hooked upto my hifi. Sounds beautiful in Call of Duty ;)

Smokey
09-20-04, 10:58 PM
Well if she has the card already, I say use it, and if she wont use the drive bay of the Plat. maybe she could sell it, I know many people try to get hold of those as you cannot buy them seperatly :)

As for the mobo, I had only read the first couple of posts, but after reading it just now, it turns out that it might not be the fault of the mobo. Anways, that thread can be found here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36536).

Gator
09-22-04, 07:46 AM
The motherboard you linked has the Realtek ALC655 audio chip. If it were the more recent ALC850 I'd go with that, but since the ALC655 is a little less sophisticated you should probably go with the Audigy PCI card.

MMJ
09-24-04, 05:51 AM
With the Audigy you will get better sound and less CPU utilisation, so I recommend that.. never liked AC97 audio.