PDA

View Full Version : Me thinks this may pose as a problem...(HL2 related)

Pages : [1] 2

aAv7
09-20-04, 12:01 PM
Link
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/33658

And for the lazy, such as myself-this is what the link offers...

" GameSpot has a lengthy update on the Valve vs Vivendi Universal lawsuit that has been going on since 2002 when Valve sued Sierra (part of VUGames). The Half-Life developer originally sued Sierra because the publisher put Valve games in Internet cafes in the US and around the world, which Valve alledges is a copyright infringement. Vivendi later counter-sued, saying Valve had made misleading statements to them about their online distribution plans. Vivendi also wants Valve to honor a previous agreement and publish whatever Valve is going to work on next, and they would like to be awarded ownership of the Half-Life franchise as well. Various motions will be heard by the court October 8 (the trial won't be until March 2005). How all of this will affect the release of Half-Life 2, we won't know for a while (though Vivendi Universal Games sure could use the money).

In court filings, Sierra/VUG says that the current distribution of Half-Life 2 via Steam exceeds the scope of the current software publishing agreement between the two parties. It is apparently seeking the court's assistance in compelling Valve not to use Steam as an avenue of distribution. On Friday, when asked if Valve was remained intent on making Half-Life 2 available to gamers via Steam, regardless of what was determined on October 8, Lombardi replied, "Yes."

karkrash81
09-20-04, 12:28 PM
Personally, I think it would be a big shame if valve lost the rights to the half life franchise to VU...even though the majority of game developers don't own the rights to their games, I feel that more developers should try to hold on to the intellectual property rights if possible...that sucks when a publisher starts wh0ring out good properties developed by someone else...

saturnotaku
09-20-04, 12:35 PM
Long as this doesn't affect distribution of the CD and/or collector's edition of HL2, I couldn't care less what happens to Steam.

aAv7
09-20-04, 01:00 PM
well apparently rumors have it that this will further hold back the shipping of HL2. =(

Edge
09-20-04, 01:12 PM
Gah, figures, the game finally has a release candidate sent out, and now they're getting into legal arguments about the release method. Great, so the game might go gold and be sitting on Gabe's shelf, but until the lawsuit is finished people won't be able to get their hands on it (well, unless Gabe pops it into his computer and then clicks on random email attachments ;) ).

saturnotaku
09-20-04, 01:39 PM
well apparently rumors have it that this will further hold back the shipping of HL2. =(

Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic (and stupid) but I don't honestly see how it will delay shipping of the printed product. They are just rumors at this point so until I see something official, I'm still going to hold out for an early November shipment.

nVestor
09-20-04, 02:09 PM
Well if there is a lawsuite issued, it should be in the public records of the disctrict they are in wouldn't it? I mean... it can be verified that way I would imagine. :)

Vash
09-20-04, 02:32 PM
Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic (and stupid) but I don't honestly see how it will delay shipping of the printed product. They are just rumors at this point so until I see something official, I'm still going to hold out for an early November shipment.

Man... I've been holding out interest in this thing for a long time. This killed it (again). I'll still buy the game and I'll still be there at midnight to get my preorder, but sheesh - talk about ridiculous.

ynnek
09-20-04, 02:38 PM
Well it says its been going on since 2002....... I wonder if this is partly why HL2 has been delayed..

Gah, figures, the game finally has a release candidate sent out, and now they're getting into legal arguments about the release method. Great, so the game might go gold and be sitting on Gabe's shelf, but until the lawsuit is finished people won't be able to get their hands on it (well, unless Gabe pops it into his computer and then clicks on random email attachments ;) ).

Edge
09-20-04, 02:52 PM
Yeah, the actual legal battle has been going on for a while, but the Steam system just seems to have escalated it. Especially if Valve goes against Vivendi's wishes and actually releases the game on Steam, who knows what could happen. Hell, maybe the ONLY way to get the game will be through Steam at this rate :rolleyes:

superklye
09-20-04, 04:00 PM
Did someone say, "Duke Nuken Forever"?

oldsk00l
09-20-04, 04:27 PM
This is all truly entertaining, and sleazy, I love all of it. Valve has sure been entertaining these last two years. "nVidia are scum, death, putrid, filth, garbage, LIARS, SCUM!!!"

They should hire Howard Dean to do a speech for them.

Mr. Hunt
09-20-04, 04:57 PM
YES! Then he can go insane "WE'RE GONNA RELEASE IT IN IOWA, KANAS, NEW YORK, CALIFORNIA, TEXAS, ALABAMA, (etc.)"

NightFire
09-20-04, 05:52 PM
I think all these delays have crossed the line from mere conincidence to evil omen. I'll wait a few days, and see what kinds of monsters appear on the computer before even considering to buy it. :D

Seoulstriker
09-20-04, 06:32 PM
YES! Then he can go insane "WE'RE GONNA RELEASE IT IN IOWA, KANAS, NEW YORK, CALIFORNIA, TEXAS, ALABAMA, (etc.)"

:D :ORDER:

But yeah, HL2 in April 2005 is looking more and more likely to happen.

sabrewulf165
09-20-04, 06:40 PM
I've never been a huge Half-life player, but I'll probably buy this game when it comes out (whenver that is) but at the rate they're going, you have to wonder if it's even going to look that impressive anymore by the time that happens? :rolleyes:

Mr. Hunt
09-20-04, 07:24 PM
It already doesn't look that great compared to most other games coming out (that is, games that are actually released) :\.

GlowStick
09-20-04, 07:29 PM
I doubt this will effect the release date, they would rather make money now, then sue eachother over it later.

Cheimison
09-20-04, 07:44 PM
And this is why I hate intellectual property.
"You can't do that! I thought of that first! Because I thought of something and wrote it down I now have control over the actions of everyone else."

killahsin
09-20-04, 10:43 PM
:D :ORDER:

But yeah, HL2 in April 2005 is looking more and more likely to happen.

I have a feeling that if it comes down to it valve will completly breach their contract and release on steam only. Vivendi can only push so hard, only delay so long before valves lawyers can find a loop-hole and let the dogs out its cage.

My worry isn't it being 2005, its vivendi trying to stall the rc/gold like they did on cs:cz except till the holiday season. I think after all this is over people will find out alot about vivendi's business practices in terms of strong arming developers. From trying to force developers into giving up their IP, to trying to find loop holes in their contracts to take the IP from them. To force releases, forced delays, and so forth. And one wonders why a publisher with a list of all star developers, is having bad finance issues. Well peep the management.

And this is why I hate intellectual property.
"You can't do that! I thought of that first! Because I thought of something and wrote it down I now have control over the actions of everyone else."

So you don't think that developers are allowed to own their own games? There are positives and negatives to IP.

aAv7
09-20-04, 11:00 PM
Well seeing as stalker and sc 3 have been pushed back to 05...if this doesnt come out till april, im screwed. Aside from a painkiller expansion, Im not looking forward to anything else. =(

XP_GUN
09-20-04, 11:28 PM
Wow are they that desprite for more money to keep feeding gabe.... :rolleyes:

revbatboy
09-21-04, 09:09 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/20/news_6107712.html

"It is apparently seeking the court's assistance in compelling Valve not to use Steam as an avenue of distribution."

BrownHornet
09-21-04, 05:00 PM
Dont see why Vu doest own halflife theyve did most the work since Cs 1.2 or earlier and who ever is left from the original Cs squad in Vu. They even said theyed hand over th erights to the whole halflife thing as HL2 was going gold ?
Im pretty sure valve had nothing more to do with owning the name halflife from the start.

superklye
09-21-04, 10:12 PM
By the way, for future reference, it's "methinks."