PDA

View Full Version : Multiple desktops all the same!

henryVII
09-20-04, 05:48 PM
I'm trying to use the nView feature that allows you to create multiple desktops, but every desktop is the same (although I can have different wallpaper). Any icons I create appear on all desktops.

This can't be right as there would be little point to the feature and I'm assuming the purpose of multiple desktops is to allow you to have different icons/shortcuts on each one (e.g I want to create a desktop that . Indeed when you remove extra desktops or disable the feature you are warned that all applications will be moved to the same desktop.

I have tried upgrading my drivers, but to no effect. I also notice various other people reporting the problem when I search Google Groups, but no solutions.

Robin Penny MCSE

Sazar
09-20-04, 05:53 PM
you probably have the clone mode on...

henryVII
09-21-04, 04:48 PM
Thanks for that suggestion Sazar, but unfortunately no. I have dualview selected.

Does multiple desktops with different icons work for you?

ragejg
09-21-04, 05:55 PM
What's your vidcard?

Sazar
09-21-04, 06:19 PM
Thanks for that suggestion Sazar, but unfortunately no. I have dualview selected.

Does multiple desktops with different icons work for you?

I don't use ati's hydravision... its crap :)

when i ran dual setup I ran using ultramon... gave me independent desktop space on each...

henryVII
09-22-04, 06:05 PM
My Card is an Inno3d GeForce 4 MX AGP 8x from DABS value range. Not exactly top of the range, but I jumped at it when I saw it had no fan and does everything I want. It also follows Nvidia's reference design closely, which means I have no qualms about using generic Nvidia drivers and the price was excellent - 31.

I'd prefer not to add another 3rd party utility unless I have to, as I suspect there would be a performance hit with it running alongside nView, plus the risk of stability problems. Although I might consider something that did just the multiple desktops - I think there is something in the XP Power toys.

Have any of you Nvidia users out there used the multiple desktop feature & got it to work with different icons per desktop? If I get at least one person who has, that at least tells me it is worth persuing further.