PDA

View Full Version : 6800Ultra in pci mode... games messed up....

Arin
09-20-04, 06:24 PM
I built a new computer for my cousin:

Windows xp sp2 w/ all updates online and current drivers.
MSI Nforce3 ultra mobo
A64 939 3500+
Corsair XMS 2x512 PC3200 LL Platinum ram in duel channel mode
BFG 6800 Ultra

When I first installed coolbits 2 I noticed the first problem. On my setup I show an AGP settings tab that gives me information about the agp setup of the card. His did not show this so I went into the biso and made sure the card was running in AGP mode. It was.

I shrugged it off.

I installed Doom3, applied all the same settings from my computer and right off the bat I noticed somethign wrong. The video in the beginning played at 30fps, and most of the game was around 30fps where it would be 60 on mine w/o a doubt.

He wanted the system to I let him have it.

When he got home he installed Far cry. This gave him a huge problem. when you start out in the cave, its almost as if the shadows are inverted! everything is so bright! I mean, contrasty and washed out completely, even with the stock settings. Also, outside the ground is coverd in black, as with the shores, and some areas blue and some purple. Underwater looks flat. Then when I tried to change the current settings from default to paradice, it wouldnt let me and it said it wasnt supported.

so I uninstalled all the games, installed the stock drivers from the video card manufacture, installed riva tuner, and still the same poo. With riva tuner, I was unable to select any agp settings and I notice it said the card is running in pci mode.

anyone have any clue what is going on here? Why its running in pci mode? Why all these problems are occuring?

Should I replace the card, or is it the mobo, or is it software related? It makes no sense to me.

The only other thing left I could do would be to take my 6800GT to his place and try it in his setup and see if that changes anything which would narrow it down a little bit.

My system specs:
A64 3500+ :: Gigabite GA-K8NSNXP-939 Nforce 3 Ultra :: Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPT 2-2-2-5 :: eVGA 6800GT :: XPSP2 :: 80/120/200GB HD :: Lian-Li v2000 :: 500w X-connect ultra

Mud
09-20-04, 06:48 PM
i had similar far cry problems until i installed patch 1.1.

as for the rest if you're all up to date with drivers and such i can't suggest much. updating the mobo drivers gave me a erformance boost but not the 200% you need here. check out the component tech support and forums for similar problems.

ricercar
09-20-04, 09:53 PM
Everything points to no motherboard/nForce GART driver installed. AGP cards commonly work in PCI mode if you don't have a GART driver installed properly.

Reliant
09-20-04, 10:05 PM
Makesure you've installed the latest chipset drivers.

john19055
09-20-04, 10:16 PM
The only time I had my card run in pCi mode was that when I loaded my nforce drivers I forgot to check the GART driver and once I reinstall the nforce drivers and made sure I had the gart checked everthing was fine then.

Arin
09-21-04, 10:33 AM
I took his xp cd and did an xp lite with sp2 in it and the latest chipset drivers. They must not have installed as I had anticipated.

Thanks!

Fam Money
09-21-04, 10:53 AM
Thanks Arin for posting this! I was having the same issues but couldn't figure out what the problem was, never even thought to check via software what bus it's running. It was weird though cause some games played fine while others sucked.

Changing the GART driver fixed half my problem. Thanks