PDA

View Full Version : Bottom of BFG 6800GT Heat Sink - Need Pic

Elvin Presler
09-20-04, 07:10 PM
I am contemplating removing my HS/F and putting AS-3 in there and reseating it. I need to know if the new dual fan, copper heat sink version is properly shaped to make contact with the RAM or if they use pads to fill the space. If so, I don't want to mess with it.

If anyone has pics of the bottom or finds one anywhere online, linkage would be appreciated. Maybe someone that's modded theirs and has the original one laying around could snap me a pic? I have been Googling for an hour with nothing to show for it.

EDIT: Done. Results and pics a few posts down.

ilal2ielli
09-20-04, 07:17 PM
they use pads to make contact with the ram, but you can put as3 on the pads. dont know if that will make any difference though.

Elvin Presler
09-20-04, 07:18 PM
Damn. Odds are I would destroy the pads removing the HS/F right? I have nothing to replace it with.

hypertek
09-20-04, 08:14 PM
nah.. pads will be intact... trust me.

Elvin Presler
09-20-04, 08:18 PM
Are they "sticky" pads or what?

Darkoz
09-20-04, 09:10 PM
Are they "sticky" pads or what?

The pads will stay intact.
They're an unuasual material, not sticky but a very slightly moist silky feel to them.

Clay
09-20-04, 09:16 PM
The pads on the BFG 6800 Ultra OC didn't stay intact for me. They were basically the consistency of slightly dried toothpaste...not a stable substance (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32091&page=4&pp=15#post370790). But hypertek is right, they can be removed and tossed, just replace with some thermal compound.

ilal2ielli
09-21-04, 01:41 AM
The pads on the BFG 6800 Ultra OC didn't stay intact for me. They were basically the consistency of slightly dried toothpaste...not a stable substance (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32091&page=4&pp=15#post370790). But hypertek is right, they can be removed and tossed, just replace with some thermal compound.

but we're talking about the pads on the bfg 6800gt oc with the dual blue led fan hsf, in which the pads do stay intact. ;)

INGlewood78
09-21-04, 01:44 AM
anyone got pics..im interested too :)

Clay
09-21-04, 10:35 AM
but we're talking about the pads on the bfg 6800gt oc with the dual blue led fan hsf, in which the pads do stay intact. ;)I know. I just provided pics and input in the event that they were the same pads used.

Elvin Presler
09-21-04, 05:01 PM
I appreciate the info, but I'm holding out for info/pics on my specific HS/F. The new copper, dual fan one. for all I know it doesn't even have the pads and has a properly formed base with shims/bumps/platforms/whateveryacallem. I don't want to try and fill a gap with nothing but AS3. Sounds too messy.

Abba Zabba
09-21-04, 05:27 PM
Watch out for the screws on the back; I managed to break one em as I was putting the heatsink back on after aplying some AS 5.
I wasn't even forcing the thing in :cry:

kyleb
09-21-04, 05:58 PM
I appreciate the info, but I'm holding out for info/pics on my specific HS/F. The new copper, dual fan one. for all I know it doesn't even have the pads and has a properly formed base with shims/bumps/platforms/whateveryacallem. I don't want to try and fill a gap with nothing but AS3. Sounds too messy.

Just look at the thing from the side, there are big white pads between the ram and the heatsink. Like Darkoz said, they will hold together.

Elvin Presler
09-21-04, 06:22 PM
OK. I done the deed and here are the results.

Before: GPU/Ambient

59/39 idle
79/53 load

After: GPU/Ambient

55/35 idle
74/50 load

EDIT: Later my temps crept right back up around 57/37, so this didn't change anything at all, other than giving me peace of mind that it is as cool as it's going to get with the current HS/F.

Not a big improvement, but a little better. I figured others might want to see some results, like I did, to help them decide if they want to jerk around with this. All said and done, I would not recommend it unless you have a problem, like a cool 36 ambient and not so cool 68 GPU idle or something. It would be very easy to screw something up in there.

Pic #1: Right after HS/Fan was removed. Note the sloppily applied white thermal paste on everything, including the RAM, even with the pads which were non-sticky and as mentioned before, like dried toothpaste. They stayed intact easily. No pulling was needed to separate the heat sink from the card. It came off from it's own massive weight.

Pic #2: After painstaking cleanup, and an application of Arctic Silver 3 to the copper then buffing it in and wiping it off to fill pits. You can see the grey leftovers, but it is totally smooth and clean. What you see is in the groves...as intended.

Pic #3: After carefull AS3 application and spreading on the GPU and RAM with a razor blade. It's a paper thin layer same as I would do on a CPU. Note, the RAM pads have been cleaned. This is a delicate job as they are rubbery and will try to grab the cotton off a Q-Tip and get stuck in there.

Pic #4: All done and back together. The screws on mine are 'pegs' that stick up and on the other side where you remove them, are what appear to be screws, but are more like nuts that go over these 'peg screws'. I tightened these spring loaded 'nuts' (seen upper/left in pic 1, 2, and 3) until they made contact and the spring was fully compressed, and then just a slight 2 finger bump to snug them. No breakage!

Elvin Presler
09-21-04, 09:13 PM
Oh yeah. See that tiny hole in the heat sink that would be right over the corner of the GPU (best visible in Pic #3, lower right side of GPU area on copper)? Temperature sensor? If so, the amount and type of goop that gets in it could surely alter temperature readings, no?

In other words, all this may not have changed a damned thing except the type of paste in the hole.

hypertek
09-21-04, 11:05 PM
awww got home and i got beat to it.. oh well.. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/streetphase/underside.jpg
That was with AS3 on it... The bottome isnt all that great, alot of grooves, It is a pretty nice quality piece tho... I think it could benefit from lapping of the gpu area if you could..

here it is now..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/streetphase/000_0002.jpg

INGlewood78
09-21-04, 11:31 PM
I see there are 4 screws on the bottom of the heatsink. I am assuming that those are for the cover of the heatsink. Wondering if removing the cover would help out on themps? I have a side fan blowing over the card and that cover blocks the airflow from reaching the fin areas. Anyone think this will work?

Elvin Presler
09-21-04, 11:47 PM
Those 4 screws sticking out of the bottom of the heat sink are what holds it on the board. They are threaded, pass through the card and have 'nuts' that screw onto them. These 'nuts' are hollow, threaded on the inside and have a Phillips screw head (+) on them, so they appear to be the head end of a screw, but they're really like nuts on a bolt. Did that make sense? In my pics thay are off, in hypertek's they are on as if it was still mounted.

I seriously doubt removing the cover would help, unless you just happen to have some massive fan that will blow air all over it. The fans on mine are more like little blowers than the normal fan.

EDIT: Ah, I see the other 4 little screws you meant. Still, I wouldn't remove the cover unless you plan to rig a big fan right on the HS.