PDA

View Full Version : Flash a GT > Ultra

Pages : [1] 2

Danhill
09-21-04, 02:22 AM
I have a Gainward 6800 GT Golden Sample runnig at 400/1100 default, is there a way of making the card a ultra??

|MaguS|
09-21-04, 03:48 AM
If its a GT @ 400/1100, it basically already is.

Danhill
09-21-04, 04:26 AM
Yes I know, but would be nice if it would be reconized as a Ultra instead of a GT and maybe the thing can clock higher??

Danhill
09-21-04, 05:53 AM
What would happen if I were to download the Gaiward 6800 Ultra bios and use it with my 6800 GT??

saturnotaku
09-21-04, 06:14 AM
Read the sticky threads. That's why they're here. Also, the search function is your friend.

But if you decide to do a BIOS flash (a process I do not recommend BTW), don't come crying back if and when you screw up.

wEEt
09-21-04, 06:35 AM
Dito.

Danhill
09-21-04, 06:35 AM
Well I did that but didn't find what I was looking for.

So what do you recommend doing instead of flashing the card.

saturnotaku
09-21-04, 06:58 AM

Leaving it the hell alone.

s-flow
09-21-04, 06:59 AM
Well I did that but didn't find what I was looking for.

Not flashing the card.. ? :bash:

Pandora's Box
09-21-04, 07:05 AM
you could change the card id in the .inf file to 6800 Ultra

Danhill
09-21-04, 07:06 AM
Leaving it the hell alone.

Ok......allright.......just asking here........

But hey maybe a volt mod.............No..........

Ok I'll leave it alone then!!!

Just thought that maybe a Ultra bios has different mem timings, so maybe I can overclock the card to lets say 425/1200.

Danhill
09-21-04, 07:07 AM

:)

Understood.

Danhill
09-21-04, 07:08 AM
you could change the card id in the .inf file to 6800 Ultra

Hmmm intresting.....is that info stored 4 ever or do I have to change it every time a new set of drivers come out?

s-flow
09-21-04, 07:12 AM

I do that to myself all the time! :)

Danhill
09-21-04, 07:13 AM
I do that to myself all the time! :)

You must have a hell of a headache.

Btw, you seem to have the same card as I do, how far can you clock yours with no artifacts.

s-flow
09-21-04, 07:35 AM
You must have a hell of a headache.

Btw, you seem to have the same card as I do, how far can you clock yours with no artifacts.

My core makes 415, higher will produce flashing textures on the
turtles back when panning up towards the trees in 3DMark03.

Memory around 1130-1140.

Im happy with the 400/1100 right now and as I understand, with
a good cooling solution the core will go much higher.. Later on maybe
I do that.

(I have the Nvidia reference cooler)

Danhill
09-21-04, 08:06 AM
My core makes 415, higher will produce flashing textures on the
turtles back when panning up towards the trees in 3DMark03.

Memory around 1130-1140.

Im happy with the 400/1100 right now and as I understand, with
a good cooling solution the core will go much higher.. Later on maybe
I do that.

(I have the Nvidia reference cooler)

Ohhh I thought you had the Gaiward cooler, I have that one, I saw in your sig that you have a Gainward 6800 GT GS.

s-flow
09-21-04, 08:29 AM
Ohhh I thought you had the Gaiward cooler, I have that one, I saw in your sig that you have a Gainward 6800 GT GS.

Nope, Iv had this card since Juli and the first sendings from Gainward
was pure Nv design (tested for ultra-speed though).

Is okay, the card is silent enough, temps a bit high (90c under load) but
runs fine. :)

smurfer
09-21-04, 09:24 AM
The guy is just asking for help shame on all of you, Saturnotaku you are a fine one to say not to flash when you did it yourself. And then i guess you returned your card right? So the next guy that buys the card may get the one you flashed and of course you voided the warranty for the other guy. Great job!!

If you want to flash go ahead it's really no big thing i have been running my gt above ultra speeds for well over two months now. Go to mavke's site and get the flash utility and bios. I'm running the bfg ones 540.02.10.15 i tried the lateset ones which were rev 2 but crappy performance and 300 some odd point loss in the bench so a reverted back to my original modded bios. Core is 420/555
03 scores 12673 highest in the bench was 12800 something...
Even if the flash goes bad i have recovered 100% of all video cards that went bad. Just make sure you research it and know what to do people freak out over nothing....

saturnotaku
09-21-04, 09:50 AM
The guy is just asking for help shame on all of you, Saturnotaku you are a fine one to say not to flash when you did it yourself. And then i guess you returned your card right?

I did flash my GT, but I was able to recover the card so it worked perfectly fine after that. I then sold it for what it was - a GeForce 6800 GT, no changes or anything. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not the only one who's suggested that he leave his card alone. Thanks for playing, though. :thumbsup:

hypertek
09-21-04, 10:42 AM
check out my bios mod adventure.. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37166

TacT
09-21-04, 11:00 AM
Not being very helpful telling him not to flash the card when he's asking to? The guy asked if there was a way to make his card an Ultra -- there is, by flashing your bios or editing the inf but if you want more overclocking potential then what you really want is a bios with another +.1V to see if you can't squeeze more out of it like I want to myself

GT owner can you do me a favour and please save your bios to disk and upload it or e-mail it to me? I have the same card and it will run 425/1.18 but I can get 445/1.2 with artifacts so would like to know if the extra +.1V will get me 450/1.2 UE speeds, I won't know until I can save my bios but I have no way of doing it without a floppy drive which I have not had for over 2 years now! Cheers

hypertek
09-21-04, 12:25 PM
Im pretty sure if you mod the core speed in the bios to something higher, you shouldnt have a problem reaching a higher speed...

smurfer
09-21-04, 12:30 PM
Not being very helpful telling him not to flash the card when he's asking to? The guy asked if there was a way to make his card an Ultra -- there is, by flashing your bios or editing the inf but if you want more overclocking potential then what you really want is a bios with another +.1V to see if you can't squeeze more out of it like I want to myself

GT owner can you do me a favour and please save your bios to disk and upload it or e-mail it to me? I have the same card and it will run 425/1.18 but I can get 445/1.2 with artifacts so would like to know if the extra +.1V will get me 450/1.2 UE speeds, I won't know until I can save my bios but I have no way of doing it without a floppy drive which I have not had for over 2 years now! Cheers

Also commands for nvflash 4.42 are: nvflash -f your.rom -p -u -2
backup : nvflash -b
Check the .rom files with the "DIR" command in case you forget what you named it.
nvflash 5.08 nvflash -5 -6 your.rom
Good Luck!! :P

I did flash my GT, but I was able to recover the card so it worked perfectly fine after that. I then sold it for what it was - a GeForce 6800 GT, no changes or anything. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not the only one who's suggested that he leave his card alone. Thanks for playing, though.

So you sold him a card with a voided warranty? You know they code them right?

Danhill
09-21-04, 12:55 PM
Ok guys I like to thank you all for your input. I managed to get my card to 425/1200 with no problem what so ever, I ran the nature test in 3D mark 03 ten times to see artifacts but found none, I then ran 3D mark 03 and got the score 12590 wich I'm very happy with. (I only have a P4 2,4C)

I was tempted to go higher, but that lasted a second or so :)

I belive my card can hit 430-440 on the core and maybe 1250 on the mem, I'm not going to try it though, not just yet.

Again thanks for all the input.

I'm going to leave the card as it is right now, it was worth every penny.