PDA

View Full Version : Custom Cooling for my 6800 Ultra OC (460 Core/1200 Mem)

Cinders
09-21-04, 08:29 AM
Installed my new card the other day and had a closer look. I noticed the fan actually sucks in under the card and blows out to the right...

I thought the best way to cool it is to have the ambient air from outside the case blowing directly on to it so I bought one of those cheapo PCI cooling blowers, modified it and stuck it over the fan on my 6800. See pics...

It now sucks cold air from outside the case at roughly ground level (where the coolest air is in the room) directly over the GPU/RAM and then out in to mycase where it's sucked back outside again.

Looks to have made quite an improvement, my idle temp is 47degrees (don't know what it is on load) and I can overclock the core to 460 and mem to 1200 with no problems.

Am going to up my AGP voltage tonight and play around more as I'm sure I can get a bit extra out of it....

Don't know what you guy think of it!?....

Cinders.

hypertek
09-21-04, 02:32 PM
I thought those things blow inside air out?

saturnotaku
09-21-04, 03:09 PM
I had one of those fans and put it in under my 6800 Ultra, and it actually increased my card's idle temperatures. Moving around my PCI cards, putting as much space around the video card as possible was the biggest factor in lowering temps for me.

Am going to up my AGP voltage tonight and play around more as I'm sure I can get a bit extra out of it....

I've done this and it had absolutely zero impact on overclockability.

rek981
09-21-04, 03:18 PM
that looks like a great idea, how did you modify the pci slot fan to suck air into the case instead if blow it out?

Seems like a good alternitive to the NV Silencer and you don't have to hackup your Ultra?

Cinders
09-21-04, 05:21 PM
Hi Guys,

Sorry about the late reply...

I simple removed the fan inside so it acts as a duct...

The fan on the video card itself sucks in, so it's just draws cold(er) air from outside the case directly in to the fan on the card. (I sealed it to the video card making sure it was air tight)

If you put your finger near the hole at the back you can feel it sucking in the air, so it definately works and it's helped me cool my card as much as possible without adding new fans, water cooling etc.

I did try reversing the polarity of the fan to get it to suck in air, but the fan wouldn't spin, bah!...

Cinders.

Pandora's Box
09-21-04, 06:06 PM
very nice dude! i get 48C idle all stock.

rek981
09-21-04, 06:12 PM
How did you seal the pci slot cooler to the Ultra fan? I see electrical tape I think.

Also could you measure your load temps? (use rthdribl)

Do you know what your temps were before adding this mod?

Ross

kyleb
09-21-04, 06:53 PM
I've done this and it had absolutely zero impact on overclockability.

Exactly, agp voltage will help with an agp bus overclock but it will do nothing for overclocking the card itself.

Now, if you want to flash the bios to give the core more voltage; that could help.

Cinders
09-22-04, 04:13 AM
How did you seal the pci slot cooler to the Ultra fan? I see electrical tape I think.

Also could you measure your load temps? (use rthdribl)

Do you know what your temps were before adding this mod?

Ross

Hi Ross,

I sealed the pci slot cooler to the BFG card using a small amount of silicon sealant to make sure it was air tight.

I'm afraid I don't know the temps before the mod, but sure I can check the load temperatures using rthdribl. I looked at this program before, can anyone tell me how to set it up so I can measure load temps?...

Cinders.

noeX
09-22-04, 04:18 AM
"Looks to have made quite an improvement, my idle temp is 47degrees (don't know what it is on load) and I can overclock the core to 460 and mem to 1200 with no problems."

Hi Cinders

What was your max overclock before WITHOUT this modded pci cooler??

Cinders
09-22-04, 04:36 AM
Hi Cinders

What was your max overclock before WITHOUT this modded pci cooler??

It's the BFG model so it was over clocked to 425/1100 anyway, I didn't overclock it anymore before putting on the ducting, only afterwards when I saw it had lowered the idle temps and felt it was safe to do so.

I'm sure the idle temp where about 52degC before I put the ducting mod on.

If you think about it logically the modification will work because it's drawing air from outside the computer case on to the fan, which of course is going to be cooler than the air inside the case...

I'm thinking of taking it apart again this weekend, removing the heatsinks and applying artic silver 5 and seeing if it runs any cooler.... then again I don't know if I can be ar*ed.. I've been messing about inside the pc for far to long now, think it's time to stop all this benchmarking cr*p, be happy with the performance I've got and start playing GAMES!.... :lol2:

Cinders

noeX
09-22-04, 04:48 AM
Well then maybe you could achieve this speed before too, but only with higher temps.

Cinders
09-22-04, 05:02 AM
Well then maybe you could achieve this speed before too, but only with higher temps.

Yes that is possible, but I'd rather achieve this speed at lower temps, wouldn't you?...

I don't see what point you're trying to make?? :retard:

The point I'm making is that this duct simply allows cool air from outside the case to enter the cooler on the card directly resulting in lower temps. I'm simply sharing my idea with other people. :)

Cinders.

noeX
09-22-04, 05:37 AM
No para man, I'm just wondering about trying this.

My goal is better overclocking, that's why i asked it...

Cinders
09-22-04, 05:51 AM
No para man, I'm just wondering about trying this.

My goal is better overclocking, that's why i asked it...

It's definately worth a try, the PCI Blower I used cost about 5 from Maplin Electronics so it's very cheap to try and it's not hard to make either.

I've been reading lots of reviews on the NV5 Cooling solution and on the Ultra it doesn't offer any better cooling over the stock option, so I.M.O. its better to go with the stock option (maybe remove it and use Artic Silver 5 along side it) and try and get as much cool air to the fan as possible.

I think any cooling you might try after that would have to be water cooling or peltier...

Then again you have to ask yourself the question is all this worth it to squeeze a few extra FPS out of your card? I'm sure all the games you play on it will look amazing anyway and you probably wouldn't notice the difference in game play from your stock clock speeds to your overclocked speeds...

Cinders.

noeX
09-22-04, 06:13 AM
Yeah u are right about these things.

I wanted to get an NV Silencer 5, but i read so many disappointing posts and forums about it too... I think I'll stick with the stock cooler.

Right now I am at 436/1209, and i want 450. :D

Its pathetic, isn't it?

But still, I want it, and it keeps me going on.. you probably know what i mean. :ORDER:

Cinders
09-22-04, 06:28 AM
What card have you got?... You realise that some cards will reach a point where they can't go any faster due to the quality of the chips on board?...

Still, it's all good fun!

noeX
09-22-04, 06:30 AM
MSI NX6800 Ultra T2D256 - I don't think that this is cheap quality. :)

Scott@Bjorn3D
09-22-04, 06:33 AM
BFG told me they take the heatsinks off the Ultras from NVIDIA and put Artic Silver on then and then put them back together. Mine is like that, but they may have changed since then.

Cinders
09-22-04, 06:34 AM
MSI NX6800 Ultra T2D256 - I don't think that this is cheap quality. :)

I guess your last options are to remove the stock heatsink, clean it up using isopropyl and then apply Artic Silver 5.... then try my ducting modification.. :lol2:

noeX
09-22-04, 06:40 AM
Yeah, i'll try to clean it up.

What thermal paste is good besides AS5?

btw Future signature:

"MOBO, CPU, VGA, ETC, blabla.... with Cinder's Retro Ducting Mod (no purchase available)." :ORDER:

:D :D

|MaguS|
09-22-04, 06:52 AM
Cinder, How's your 3DMark03 Score? See any improvements in Doom 3 or FarCry?

Cinders
09-22-04, 08:32 AM
I'll do some benchmarks tonight and let you guys know. My aquamark is 71,000 which is ok I think!?!

noeX
09-22-04, 08:34 AM
yeah... mine is 71500

rek981
09-22-04, 10:28 AM
Cinders,

the best way i've found to measure load temps is using rthdribl (http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/). When you run it, the program opens as a window, drag the window to expand it which increases the resolution the program is running it, and since its a windowed program you can check the board temp on the control panel.

In response to o/cing. First, I had a XFX GT from newegg which o/c'ed great (at least Ultra speed), but it broke in like 4 days (not sure if it was the o/cing or not, I suspect it was not). I rma'd it, newegg was out of XFX board so I was able to try an EVGA GT instead. I expected it to be a great o/c'er after lurking the forums, it was a total dud and would only do 370/1050. I returned it to newegg (and paid the hefty restocking fee I might add) because I really wanted Ultra speeds garanteed. SO I got a PNY Ultra from compUSA instead. It will o/c to 450/1150 but I leave it at stock speeds (for now). So my GPU o/c's well, but I'm not getting the insane ram o/cs others are getting. My point? I dunno, it all luck I guess.

I have another question. I think I'm going to try Cinders mod when I get some free time and when I get the EVGA copper heatsink I ordered. What do you guys think of the Ultra's ram cooling solution? I know its got crappy thermal pads on it that I would replace w/ arctic silver 5. But I'm thinking maybe putting some individual copper ram sinks on it would be a better solution. I dunno, the stock ram cooling wouldn't be so bad with some AS5, but with those thermal pads, it probably makes the ram hotter than no cooling at all. What do you guys think?

Ross