PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Battlefront

Mr. Hunt
09-21-04, 12:32 PM
Anybody get it yet? Looks interesting and I want to try it but wouldn't mind seeing what other people think about it.

Clay
09-21-04, 01:22 PM
I was curious too, just started reading here (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/919277.asp) myself...

PaiN
09-21-04, 02:57 PM
I picked it up this afternoon.....I got about 20mins with the game :(...then my little one woke up. So I can't say much...other than it ran fine...and the battling was tense. I'll get some more play time in tonight.

MrSavoy
09-21-04, 03:35 PM
I will be picking it up on the way home from work in about 30 minutes. I will post my thoughts on the game later on tonight afer I've installed and played a bit.:)

lIqUID
09-21-04, 04:44 PM
I was also interested in this game until I heard negative feedback on it here. It might be different now that the game is released, but Ill wait and see what the popular opinion is before I buy.

Zeta
09-21-04, 06:53 PM
I just got done playing this game online for about an hour. I really cant decide at this point if I like it or not. It defenatley needs some patches. I remember how horrible BF:1942 was when it came out. The multiplayer browser is horrible as seems to be the norm these days (no favorites). The action actually seemed pretty fun however. You can actually be a droideka and roll up in a ball roll out to your location, unfold put up your shields and start blasting just like in the movie. You can pilot vehicles (which is akward). The graphics are nice, not great, but nice.

I dont feel like it was a waste of money yet. I think with some patching this could really be a great game. What ever happened to a game being polished out of the box. I dont think that exists anymore. I feel bad for the console owners. It is also quite fun to fly around and shoot down at people. They will also need to release a dedicated linux server (I have not heard of any plans for this) if they really want to appeal to hardcore online gamers. I think this game would be a GREAT lan party game. You really have to work with your team to be effective it seems.

On a scale of 1 - 10 at this point I would give it a 7.9.

subbo
09-21-04, 07:42 PM
Seems nice so far. Too bad they had to dumb it up for the consoles. The maps are pretty claustrophobic.

Some (huge) performance issues too with high shadows enabled. I'd also like to get rid of that horrid "soft focus" thats on screen all the time, it's like being drunk or stoned.

Tool99
09-21-04, 09:10 PM
(w/opics)

PaiN
09-21-04, 09:20 PM
After a few hours with it tonight...I can hoestly say I don't have Zeta's problem....I definately don't like it.....Controls outside of the basic FPS stink...MP hook up \ game browser needs lots of work. Game play is a rehash of BF1942(imo :(). I was also hoping for a good SP side but again its a BF rehash..basicly the same thing as an MP session with bots...Oh the fun :rolleyes:

I called EB, where I bought it, and they said NP to return it for WarHammer: DoW....I love my local EB :)

Clay
09-21-04, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, let's keep it coming. :)

@PaiN: I love my local EB too. I know they're not "mom & pop" level but they're not a big box like BB or CompUSA either...I somehow feel better about buying at EB. :)

karkrash81
09-21-04, 09:55 PM
I almost picked it up today while strolling through the mall (indy's worthless circle center... :lame: )...but i was wary of the reports that the AI was horrendous....I had such high hopes for this...i guess i'll wait one more week for evil genius...

superklye
09-21-04, 10:15 PM
After a few hours with it tonight...I can hoestly say I don't have Zeta's problem....I definately don't like it.....Controls outside of the basic FPS stink...MP hook up \ game browser needs lots of work. Game play is a rehash of BF1942(imo :(). I was also hoping for a good SP side but again its a BF rehash..basicly the same thing as an MP session with bots...Oh the fun :rolleyes:

I called EB, where I bought it, and they said NP to return it for WarHammer: DoW....I love my local EB :)

You can return opened PC games? That's pretty sweet. I thought most places would like kill you if you asked them that.

MrSavoy
09-22-04, 02:18 AM
Well I played for like 4 hours tonight and I have to say at first i didnt like it at all. But as time passed I started to enjoy it more and more. When you first start to play it feels akward and clunky. Heh thats the best I can describe it. I like precison movement and feeling in my fps's. However that clunky feeling never goes away completely you do get somewhat used to the feeling and I have to say I actually like the game now. I found a couple of better server to play on and 1 had like over 50 people on it. Some of the maps are way to small imo, some are perfect. The game is loaded with action and overall fun factor is there. However there are some issues.
The in game browser as mentioned here needs work and lots of it, cant always get in a game even though it says there open slots. The weapons need a lil more balance imo and could use a little more kick as well as splash radius on the rockets. In my time spent online playing so far the Imp's seem to usually win and win by alot lol.
The vehicles are akward as hell to fly/drive, in fact the control scheme for them sucks ass badly. Thats prolly my biggest gripe with the game so far.
As far as gfx, they are ok not great but ok. I think we here on this forum all seem to expect more from todays new games and quite frankly so do i. But thats what you get when you have a game that was basically made to run smooth on the consoles and also PC. I truly think if they had made this game PC only it would have truly rocked, although they prolly wouldnt have turned a profit. Such is life in todays gaming market.
I dont want anyone to get the idea that I dont like the game, because I do and with some patches I think this game will only get better.
So overall I would have to say its a fun game with sorta cool gfx alot of action and crapy controls for the vehicles.
I would give it a 7/10. :)
Hope this helps anyone deciding on buying or passing.

Leech
09-22-04, 06:13 AM
I was playing the Playstation 2 version last night (my younger brother bought it) and it was quite fun. Though we didn't have much time to play it, since I was playing around with the new Star Wars Trilogy's extra crap.... but I look forward to playing it some more.

Leech

deckard
09-22-04, 08:59 AM
If anyone figures out a way to turn off that 'soft focus' on everything please post. It's a very subjective thing and while some love it and find it very cinematic, others detest it. It really should be selectable but the obvious options 'Motion Blur' and 'Distortion' seem to have absolutely no effect at all.

subbo
09-22-04, 10:49 AM
Exactly deckard, when I play for a while and exit even my desktop looks blurry. Any optician would say it is NOT beneficial to blur your eyesight on purpose, as your eyes will try to compensate and the results are bad, like wearing the wrong pair of glasses.

I simply cannot play a game outside my TFT's native resolution (cause bilinear scaling is blurry) and this game blurs things on purpose at 1600x1200.

One of the worst examples is the motion blur of GTA3 games. I turned it off immediately. Played through both games.

Riptide
09-22-04, 11:38 AM
I think with some patching this could really be a great game. What ever happened to a game being polished out of the box.
Doom3 seemed pretty good out of the box.

Edge
09-22-04, 11:50 AM
Doom3 seemed pretty good out of the box.

Ahem...server browser ;)

AMC_Duke
09-22-04, 12:04 PM
If anyone figures out a way to turn off that 'soft focus' on everything please post. It's a very subjective thing and while some love it and find it very cinematic, others detest it. It really should be selectable but the obvious options 'Motion Blur' and 'Distortion' seem to have absolutely no effect at all.

I agree this soft focus sucks major ass !

Slybri
09-22-04, 12:10 PM
played for a while yesterday. The graphics are nice but the controls feel like a bad ps2 port. And yes, the AI sucks. saved my money for Warhammer DoW, which rocks.

Riptide
09-22-04, 12:19 PM
Ahem...server browser ;)
Well that is true but I don't even consider that game to be multiplayer. :)

The SP was perfect outta the box.

CaptNKILL
09-22-04, 12:41 PM
Well that is true but I don't even consider that game to be multiplayer. :)

The SP was perfect outta the box.
I agree, there were maybe 2 bugs I noticed throughout the entire game... the sound bug (surround sound on some machines caused static after a few minutes of play) and the flashlight bug (ONCE I had the flashlight disapear... simply going to the main menu fixed it).

If Doom 3 was anything, it was stable. I dont remember having any other problems with it.

subbo
09-22-04, 05:54 PM
Seems to me battlefront is one of the rare games that is pretty perfect out of the box techincally. One of the best examples for a "polished" shelf product. After all they expect you to use gamespy and not the internal browser. But I'd rather use ASE anyway just like I do for the Battlefield games.

You can really see the huge effort they put into SW battlefront but it could be so much better. Also the Battlefield ripoff features kinda bother me. They've copied it right down to the "deserters will be shot" line when leaving the map. And vehicle physics are kinda sucky, a little unmoveable r2d2 droid will stop your AT-AT moving forward.. that is so CoDUO.