PDA

View Full Version : 66.32 and UT 2004 BSOD then reboot

Bumrush
09-22-04, 08:11 AM
I can't seem to exit UT 2004 with the latest Nvidia drivers. Every other game seems to be working perfectly, however, as soon as I exit an UT 2004 multiplayer game, I get a general protection fault and my computer restarts. It doesn't matter if I play for 3 minutes or 3 hours. Is this is a know issue with this driver set?

wEEt
09-22-04, 08:13 AM
we had that problem already about a 100 times here. search for the answer (if there is one).

Bumrush
09-22-04, 08:15 AM
Sorry, I went through the entire 66.32 thread and didn't see anything about it..... Someone did mention something about keeping DEP disabled, do you know what that is???

rewt
09-22-04, 11:39 AM
Understanding Data Execution Prevention

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) helps prevent damage from viruses and other security threats that attack by running (executing) malicious code from memory locations that only Windows and other programs should use. This type of threat causes damage by taking over one or more memory locations in use by a program. Then it spreads and harms other programs, files, and even your e-mail contacts.

Unlike a firewall or antivirus program, DEP does not help prevent harmful programs from being installed on your computer. Instead, it monitors your programs to determine if they use system memory safely. To do this, DEP software works alone or with compatible microprocessors to mark some memory locations as "non-executable". If a program tries to run codeómalicious or notófrom a protected location, DEP closes the program and notifies you.

DEP can take advantage of software and hardware support. To use DEP, your computer must be running Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later. DEP software alone helps protect against certain types of malicious code attacks but to take full advantage of the protection that DEP can offer, your processor must support "execution protection". This is a hardware-based technology designed to mark memory locations as non-executable. If your processor does not support hardware-based DEP, it's a good idea to upgrade to a processor that offers execution protection features.

mikedep333
09-22-04, 12:45 PM
OK, I've had the same problem and I asked people a few times about whether or not this is in the 66.32's specifically. It has been in every leaked version in the 65 series or later. DEP is a feature in windows XP SP2 and new AMD CPU's to prevent buffer overflow attacks, effectively preventing any worms from spreading to your comp over a network and preventing spyware from getting installed unintentionally with Internet Explorer. There is a feature to disable it for specific apps, but I'm 90% sure from experience that you can't just do so for UT2004 and expect the bug to be fixed ,its most likely a problem between DEP and the driver. The only solution with these beta drivers is to disable it altogether, which I care too much about security to do. If you do wanna disable it though, its under system properties > advanced > performance.

saturnotaku
09-22-04, 02:06 PM
If you do wanna disable it though, its under system properties > advanced > performance.

This does not work. And neither does making an exception for the UT2004 executable. The only way to do it is the edit the boot.ini file. Instructions for doing this are in another thread in this forum. Again, use the search function, it was made a separate thread from the ones about specific driver version feedback.

mikedep333
09-22-04, 08:06 PM
This does not work. And neither does making an exception for the UT2004 executable. The only way to do it is the edit the boot.ini file. Instructions for doing this are in another thread in this forum. Again, use the search function, it was made a separate thread from the ones about specific driver version feedback.

My mistake, that's how you totally disable it. I still don't suggest it though if you care about security.

Bumrush
09-22-04, 11:32 PM
For those of you that can't find the original thread:

UT 2004 Amd 64 SP2 Fix (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36541&highlight=UT2004)

sgio2
09-23-04, 10:18 AM
Wow thanks for the link. I just reformatted and was experiencing that same problem and knew I saw a thread about it somewheres.

Another fix to this problem is to edit your UT2004.ini file and use OpenGL instead of DX. Its worked great for me , but I lost a few FPS + some IQ :( .

Anyways thanks for the tip. WIll give it a shot now.

saturnotaku
09-23-04, 11:06 AM
Another fix to this problem is to edit your UT2004.ini file and use OpenGL instead of DX. Its worked great for me , but I lost a few FPS + some IQ

I'm curious - have you tried the beta DX9 renderer to see if this causes problems? One of the first patches for UT2004 added a line to the .ini file referencing it. I remember trying it in the past with my Radeon 9800, and the quality was pretty good with minimal FPS loss. Perhaps this can be an alternate solution that won't degrade IQ like OpenGL can.

sgio2
09-23-04, 11:24 AM
I'm curious - have you tried the beta DX9 renderer to see if this causes problems? One of the first patches for UT2004 added a line to the .ini file referencing it. I remember trying it in the past with my Radeon 9800, and the quality was pretty good with minimal FPS loss. Perhaps this can be an alternate solution that won't degrade IQ like OpenGL can.

Yeah , I have tried the DX9 Renderer and its a no go for me. When I load UT2004 all I get is a C++ Runtime error and then exit. I used the trick in the above thread and it worked great :) . I think this was the first BSOD that I have ever gotten on my system , glad it could be eaisley fixed.

sabrewulf165
09-23-04, 06:16 PM
You have to install the first UT2k4 patch and THEN install the latest patch in order for the DX9 renderer to work. Only the first patch actually installs the necessary stuff for the DX9 engine. If you just install 2k4 and then install the most recent patch, the DX9 render won't work.

Also, concerning DEP... a lot of people say "don't disable it if you care about security". Disabling it doesn't make your security any worse than if you were running SP1/a. In fact, it's still better than SP1/a because there are a lot of other things in SP2 besides just the stuff that you can see.

mikedep333
09-24-04, 12:27 AM
Also, concerning DEP... a lot of people say "don't disable it if you care about security". Disabling it doesn't make your security any worse than if you were running SP1/a. In fact, it's still better than SP1/a because there are a lot of other things in SP2 besides just the stuff that you can see.[/QUOTE]

Do you even know what a buffer overflow vulnerability is? Have you ever heard of the blaster worm? Or all the vulnerabilities in IE and windows XP as seen here?
http://secunia.com/product/11/
http://secunia.com/product/16/
SP2 is not a magic security tool, if a program is compromised and you're running it as admin, it has almost total control of your computer.