PDA

View Full Version : What should my Motherboard settings be?

Vamp
09-22-04, 12:25 PM
I have a GF6800GT 256meg, in my Bios, what should I put for these options?

AGP Aperature - 128/256, it's on 128

Primary Graphics Slot (Or something like that) PCI/AGP (it's on PCI but the Bus in my detonator drivers say AGP8X)

AGP FastWrite Auto/Off (it's set to Auto)

I've heard that Faswrite being off can stop those random freezes apparent in some games, but can it noticebly drop framerate in games?

Should I just leave all those options as is?

Dazz
09-22-04, 12:33 PM
AGP 128 or 256MB it doesn't really matter

The video card is AGP 8x or PCI express only so i would say yours is AGP 8x

AGP fast writes off is best gives no extra peformance anyway.

Vamp
09-22-04, 12:35 PM
AGP 128 or 256MB it doesn't really matter

The video card is AGP 8x or PCI express only so i would say yours is AGP 8x

AGP fast writes off is best gives no extra peformance anyway.

So I should set to..

AGP Aperature: 256 (what difference do these make?)

Primary Slot to AGP

and Fastwrites off? I've heard mixed opinions about drops in performance without Fastwrite, it does say on the Nvidia site that the 6800GT supports Fastwrite

Dazz
09-22-04, 12:43 PM
All AGP 8x support fast writes but overclockers disable them, some people say it makes the computer slightly unstable due to the way it handles data. 256MB is fine and as for the Primary slot it means what if the computer detected 2 video cards AGP & PCI it would boot with PCI first then AGP.

Vamp
09-22-04, 12:49 PM
All AGP 8x support fast writes but overclockers disable them, some people say it makes the computer slightly unstable due to the way it handles data. 256MB is fine and as for the Primary slot it means what if the computer detected 2 video cards AGP & PCI it would boot with PCI first then AGP.

Should should I just change the primary slot to AGP?

I guess that the FPS lost with Fastwrite Disabled with stock speeds. would be made up with an OCed card

JRd1st
09-22-04, 02:33 PM
Just today, I was benching each possible setting of AGP aperture on my mb and I got the best marks at 64mb.

BugginOuT
09-22-04, 02:59 PM
I have a GF6800GT 256meg, in my Bios, what should I put for these options?

AGP Aperature - 128/256, it's on 128

Primary Graphics Slot (Or something like that) PCI/AGP (it's on PCI but the Bus in my detonator drivers say AGP8X)

AGP FastWrite Auto/Off (it's set to Auto)

I've heard that Faswrite being off can stop those random freezes apparent in some games, but can it noticebly drop framerate in games?

Should I just leave all those options as is?

Sounds like you have an Asus board...

Vamp
09-22-04, 03:03 PM
Sounds like you have an Asus board...

Correct K8NE-Deulux.

Is it known to give random-lockups with OCed cards with FastWrite on? Will I notice a difference with Fastwrite off, slower performance?

GamerGuyX
09-22-04, 03:13 PM
Correct K8NE-Deulux.

Is it known to give random-lockups with OCed cards with FastWrite on? Will I notice a difference with Fastwrite off, slower performance?

We already answered your question. So I guess its my turn. YES, TURN OFF FASTWRITES! You will NOT notice a difference (performance wise) with them off. FastWrites are EVIL!!! :bash:

Vamp
09-22-04, 03:31 PM
There's another option AGP Sideband address Auto/Disabled... What should that be set to?

Off topic, but besides stock speeds is there a difference between the Ultra and GT? Is an Overclocked GT the same as a standard Ultra?

Edit: Well, Fastwrites disabled doesn't stop the freeze in Max Payne 2, but I can live with it until Nvidia releases new drivers that hopefully fix this problem.

When the card is not overclocked, there is no freezing but there is still a split-second when occasionally opening doors or turning a corner for the first time. This isn't very frequent though, the same thing happens when my card is overclocked but I just get the freeze once when I start playing.

Is that mometary pause when opening doors/turning corners a known thing in Max Payne 2 or should I think about returning my card? Or is that too much of an extreme decision, those pauses are only in MP2 and not Doom 3 or Mafia (although Mafia does that have the initial freeze)

SigmaOrionis
09-22-04, 04:37 PM
Vamp,

I've been playing MP2 a lot lately and I also get a very slight(just enough to be noticeable) pause at certain areas or with some doors. I think it is just the way the game is loading new textures to the card. If I go back through the same door or around the same corner I wont get the pause a second time.

I wouldnt return your videocard because of this. I also dont think it is something that can be fixed with a driver release. I think it is just the way the game loads new areas.

My Bios settings are:

-Fastwrites OFF - was set to this by default.

-Aperature size - 128MB was set to this by default. Havent tried 256 if it aint broke dont fix it.

Vamp
09-22-04, 05:08 PM
Vamp,

I've been playing MP2 a lot lately and I also get a very slight(just enough to be noticeable) pause at certain areas or with some doors. I think it is just the way the game is loading new textures to the card. If I go back through the same door or around the same corner I wont get the pause a second time.

I wouldnt return your videocard because of this. I also dont think it is something that can be fixed with a driver release. I think it is just the way the game loads new areas.

My Bios settings are:

-Fastwrites OFF - was set to this by default.

-Aperature size - 128MB was set to this by default. Havent tried 256 if it aint broke dont fix it.

So I should just set Fastwrites to off? It didn't help the freezing though when I tried it, but when I did try it my 2D and 3D clocks weren't the same, I'll try it again with them synced and see if it makes a difference. Do you have a 6800GT?

Is aparature size a performance thing or would selecting 256 or 128 make no noticeable difference?

Audi_RS6
09-22-04, 05:22 PM
Here's something else for us to be going on about...PCI Latency ? ? How many clocks ? ?

BugginOuT
09-22-04, 06:06 PM
Correct K8NE-Deulux.

You have the same board as I do, the only time I noticed a 10 second pause is in Halo, any other games, no problem.

Here's something else for us to be going on about...PCI Latency ? ? How many clocks ? ?

I don't believe AGP cards has anything to do with PCI latency, only for PCI devices.

Vamp
09-22-04, 11:56 PM
Ok. later today I'm going to set fastwrites off and leave my aparature at 128meg and set my 2D and 3D clock the same, maybe that will solve the problem.

Games run absoplutely perfectly except for that 10 second pause!!!

and just to be absolutely sure, there's no noticeable difference betwen 128 and 256 meg aparature?

Lfctony
09-23-04, 12:26 AM
Vamp, disabling FW on the K8N in the bios will NOT disable FW. There's a problem it appears, as mine have to be turned off in Windows. Try using Rivatuner.

Vamp
09-23-04, 03:01 AM
Vamp, disabling FW on the K8N in the bios will NOT disable FW. There's a problem it appears, as mine have to be turned off in Windows. Try using Rivatuner.

Is RivaTuner overclocking software? if I use it will I have to disable Coolbits or something to that effect? Do I have to leave it running in background to work like Expertool or what? Is it relatively simple to use and set of Fastwrites and will I have to disable FW in bios as well?

BugginOuT
09-23-04, 08:51 AM

I concur.

I disable FW on the BIOS, but when I went into Display Properties on Windows, when I try to deselect FW and tried to click apply, Windows rechecks the setting.

I will try RivaTuner.....Thanx!