PDA

View Full Version : think i've broke my new 6800u

pscl227
09-22-04, 02:22 PM
well i was instaling the danger den nv-68 on my 6800 ultra, and i accidently knocked off one of the large silver capacitors (i think ita a capacitor any way!) by the molex connector, both the legs broke off it to, but i managed to bodge it back on, but ever since i have done this it hasnt been the same, their are noticble slow down in games, and the nalu/timebury demos look like they are running really slow...........so what options do i have? are these capacitors easily avalible? would it be worth my while getting a profesional to put a new one on?

Thanks for your help, paul

NeoLojik
09-22-04, 02:27 PM
Chances are that knocking that Capacitor off has stopped the molex connector supplying power to the card and its running in 'low power mode' all the time, which is reduced clockspeeds. I dont think you could RMA it as its a 'user error'. You could try finding a replacement and ask someone with some soldering skills to fix it on. the numbers on it should yeild something with a google search.

Sorry I couldnt be more help

zoomy942
09-22-04, 02:28 PM
wow, i;m sorry to hear about your lose. :( well, i'm not an electrical engineer (just MS exchange engineer), so i wouldnt know much about fixign it, but my guess would be that having someone good with capacitors and electrodes and all that might help..

:bugeyes: :sry: :sry:

again, sorry that your card broke.

pscl227
09-22-04, 02:30 PM
you are a nice bunch of guys here, other forums i have posted on they just laughed!

im not sure if it is stopping the power from the molex connector getting thru becasue when i unplug the molex connector that the capcitor is next to it still makes that loud been noise that they tend to make then you remove them

NeoLojik
09-22-04, 02:38 PM
Would you post the numbers from the top of the silver capacitor? Ive tried finding them on images on the net with no luck. If you can find it, I might be able to find a replacement and then you'd just need a friend who can solder.

pscl227
09-22-04, 02:39 PM
okay well on this capcitor thingy bob it says:

a 43v
16v

and it has a little tiny square above the a on the top line

does that mean anything to anyone?

pscl227
09-22-04, 02:41 PM
Would you post the numbers from the top of the silver capacitor? Ive tried finding them on images on the net with no luck. If you can find it, I might be able to find a replacement and then you'd just need a friend who can solder.

ooooooo it would be great if you could find me some, i am actully pretty "hot" at soldering my self (doing an electronic engineering course at uni)

NeoLojik
09-22-04, 02:41 PM
Thanks, unfortunately it looks like their 'Surface Mounted' and would require some great skill to replace. I'll see if I can find what part they are now and reply when I turn anything up

pscl227
09-22-04, 02:43 PM
i can do surface mounted, as long as they arent mega tricky with lodsa legs the hardest one i did was soldering 4 ram chips into my xbox........now that was hard/boring, however im sure i could get my tutor to do it for me

bmg
09-22-04, 02:45 PM
Can you post pictures? I think it can be fixed, although it might not look the greatest when it's done if the board itself was damaged. When the cap came off did it also pull off the pc traces on the board? If the board is ok then replacing the cap should be easy.

NeoLojik
09-22-04, 02:48 PM
The image is inverted to make the text easier to read.
http://www.neoinfo.co.uk/6800Cap.jpg

pscl227
09-22-04, 02:49 PM
yup give me two mins to get some pics

bmg
09-22-04, 02:50 PM
okay well on this capcitor thingy bob it says:

a 43v
16v

and it has a little tiny square above the a on the top line

does that mean anything to anyone?
330uf and 16 volts.

pscl227
09-22-04, 02:56 PM
here is a pic, just so you can check that their isnt any damage to the traces:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/pscl227/Picture.jpg

does it look okay to you guys?

NeoLojik
09-22-04, 03:09 PM
Looks like if you could find an adiquate replacement you shouldnt have any problem attaching it. Ive not found anything with those part numbers yet, I'll keep looking.

bmg
09-22-04, 03:10 PM
here is a pic, just so you can check that their isnt any damage to the traces:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/pscl227/Picture.jpg

does it look okay to you guys?
That should be easy to fix if you can get a replacement capacitor. We no longer use that type where I work, but I've got a dead 9800 pro that might have a similar cap on it. You can probably order a replacement from Digikey if no one here can come up with a replacement.

pscl227
09-22-04, 03:10 PM
aye ive found a few on google, but they are all on tv repair web site, so hopefully my local tv reapiar can get me one, and i suppose he could even solder it on if he wants! well thanks very much for your help guys its much appreciated...........hopefully my poor 2 week old 6800 u will be feeling better in a few weeks time, i will post an update when i get it repaired

NeoLojik
09-22-04, 03:14 PM
Glad I could be of help, I may have a low postcount but I help when I can ^.^

pscl227
09-22-04, 03:18 PM
hehe same amount of posts as me and i joined like 15 mins ago! :lol2: