PDA

View Full Version : Well I couldnt wait any longer and decided to get the NV5

Omega53
09-22-04, 06:28 PM
Hopefully with this I will be able to push my 6800GT farther. The thing can clock to 442 core right now but I had to back down to 425 cause of doom 3. Hopefully Ill be able to see around 450 Im hoping. How much better would this thing be over my stock GT cooler?

Greasy
09-22-04, 06:39 PM
I think you will be happy with this cooler.

Elvin Presler
09-22-04, 07:55 PM
Why do you guys overclock cards that are already choking on the CPU? It's pointless!

einstein_314
09-22-04, 08:08 PM
OK, that almost gave me a heart attack, as I read "NV5" as Graphics Card instead of a cooler. First thoughts were that either this guy has been living in Antarctica for the last 4 years, or he was doing some collector thing.

having to back it off to 425 seems like you wasted your money, as I get 425 stable in doom3 with the stock cooler on my GT.

Reliant
09-22-04, 09:12 PM
OK, that almost gave me a heart attack, as I read "NV5" as Graphics Card instead of a cooler. First thoughts were that either this guy has been living in Antarctica for the last 4 years, or he was doing some collector thing.

having to back it off to 425 seems like you wasted your money, as I get 425 stable in doom3 with the stock cooler on my GT.
Not all cores are the same.

Clevor
09-22-04, 10:20 PM
Why do you guys overclock cards that are already choking on the CPU? It's pointless!

Maybe you can shed more light on this. If you run all games at 1600x1200x32, 4xFSAA, 16xAniso, isn't the card doing all the work? I thought at 1024x768 or lower the CPU factors in?

Just got an Asus 6800 Ultra from Newegg (not Deluxe). Was lucky to spot the card in stock while browsing the site (price already went up $16). Looking good so far: auto-overclock sets the card at 455/1.16. I tested 1.2 on the ram and no artifacts (stock cooling). I have an NV5 but not sure it's worth prying off the factory sink. It's a pretty huge piece, with more metal on the ram than the NV5. It uses a thermal pad on the ram like what you see on DDR with spreaders. AS5 would really help out here.

I measured temps on the backside of the card behind the ram at 1.2 clock and it was only running 36 C. Anybody know if that reference heatsink on the Ultra is made of aluminum or copper? It looks silver but may have a tube-like structure underneath. I prefer all aluminum for better heat dissipation, except if a copper insert is used.

The build quality of this 6800 Ultra from Asus is impeccable. Not a crooked resistor or cap or sloppy solder joint on the board. There are two stickers on the card, one says Taiwan and the other China, so the board is partially made in Taiwan I guess, unlike the all-China cards you see now.

Omega53
09-22-04, 11:24 PM
Most stock coolers use aluminum. Only the ultra extreme uses copper I believe. As far as prying off your heatsink, it wouldnt make that much of a difference. It would lower you temps by around 3*C on the core and you ram would run cooler with AS5 instead of those crappy pads. If you are happy with it, then dont even bother messing with it. If the noise bothers you, then by all means install the NV5 as it will cool as good as or better than the stock cooler while being noticably quieter.

Pandora's Box
09-22-04, 11:25 PM
now what to do with the stupid heatsink that is supposedly coming in the mail. hmmm

Reliant
09-22-04, 11:44 PM
It worked really well on mine. Lowered idle over 10C and almost 15C under load even though I've got it clocked 20mhz higher then the stock cooler would allow.

Omega53
09-22-04, 11:54 PM
now what to do with the stupid heatsink that is supposedly coming in the mail. hmmm

sell it on ebay and make some money ;)

Or give it to someone else that wanted one :D

Pandora's Box
09-22-04, 11:59 PM
its only 10 bucks or so retail. maybe i could contact mikec and have nvnews give it away in a contest or something.

Omega53
09-23-04, 12:00 AM
its only 10 bucks or so retail. maybe i could contact mikec and have nvnews give it away in a contest or something.

That would be awesome. I hope I win :D
Then I could have a contest to give it away :)

Abba Zabba
09-23-04, 12:12 AM

Send it to me and I'll code a pretty demo for :D
j/k

Clevor
09-23-04, 12:19 AM
What I don't like about the later generation sinks from Arctic Cooling (both the Rev. 4.0 for the X800 and 5.0 for 6800), is they use a thick copper plate over both ram and GPO, so it heats everything up to the same temp. Then the aluminum fins don't seem to be substantial enough to draw away the heat. A beefy aluminum sink (OK over the ram), with copper insert for the GPU would be better.

For better cooling, I would remove the plastic cover and hot glue a 6000 rpm Delta 60 mm fan blowing on the fins (noisy though). It will blow on the copper plate to cool it too.

I am using the Rev. 3 VGA Silencer for my 9800 Pros and it works great. I can gain +23 mhz on the core with it, over the overclock I already get with stock cooling! It's a massive aluminum deal and it only cools the GPU. The sheer mass absorbs all the heat away from the GPU. I use separate sinks for the ram.

Dazz
09-23-04, 05:23 AM
Most stock coolers use aluminum. Only the ultra extreme uses copper I believe. As far as prying off your heatsink, it wouldnt make that much of a difference. It would lower you temps by around 3*C on the core and you ram would run cooler with AS5 instead of those crappy pads. If you are happy with it, then dont even bother messing with it. If the noise bothers you, then by all means install the NV5 as it will cool as good as or better than the stock cooler while being noticably quieter.
The ASUS V9999GE uses copper HS with heat pipe hence the 6800 can run from 325MHz to 450MHz. Also the MSI 6800 & 6800GT use copper too.

Clevor
09-24-04, 12:00 AM
After flogging my card last night, I found the max clock of my Asus 6800 Ultra: 459/1.18, stock cooling. It will run 3DMark2001, 3DMark2003, Aquamark, and CodeCreatures with no artifacts at 1.20 memory, but if you think your memory clock is good, the toughest test is the Far Cry demo. Run it at 1600x1200x32, 4xFSAA, and 16xAniso. You will see 3-6 white flashing dots on the black area of the machine gun, particularly on the second run with the card nice and toasty. So I had to back off to 1.18.