PDA

View Full Version : Help with RivaTuner...

Vamp
09-23-04, 05:47 AM
I have Coolbits and I just got Riva Tuner to combat the random freeze fast-write problem.

Some questions.

1. Will Coolbits conflict with RT? I've OCed my 6800GT to 400/1100 with Coolbits and I'm thinking whether I should uninstall Coolbits and just OC with RT.

2. When I goto Driver Settings (Forceware detected) and goto System settings the OC info is 400 on the core and 1100 on the memory, perfect. There is a tick on Driver Level hardware Overclocking and my 2D Clock is the same as my 3D Clock while my Low-power 3D Clock is 350mhz. Is this ok?

There is a tick on Apply Overclocking on Windows Startup.

In Compatibility everything is greyed out except for enable motherboard chipset compatibility mode which is unticked. Is this ok?

Everything in AGP is greyed out, including Fastwrites, could this be because it's set to Auto in the Bios?

3. Now in the Target Adapter (6800GT) customization Low level system settings my OC is at 399 for Core and 1104 for Memory, why is this different from my Forceware settings (It says this as well for Hardware Monitoring)? What is my actual clock speed?

4. The apply OC setttings when windows starts option is greyed out, in AGP settings my transfer rate is 8X, Sideband Addressing is greyed out to Auto, and Fastwrite is set to Off (not greyed out, options are selectable) I set to off when it was previously on On.

Apply AGP settings at windows startup is checked.

Is all of this Ok? are there any problems whatsoever? I'm worried about not being able to select AGP settings in the forceware customization and the samll difference in clock speeds between Forceware and Adapter customization. I never touched anything in Power User, is there anything in there I should tweak?

5. Does Rivatuner need to be running in background for it to work? Do I need to start it up when Windows Starts so it's in my systray and select the "minimize to tray on close" option. Will it not work if it's not running in the Systray? I like to have the least amount of background processess as possible.
Is it compatible with Coolbits, do I need to do my OCing in CBs or can I use RT?
What's the difference between Low-Level and normal tweaks?

6. Do I need to set Fastwrite to Off in my bios because it's still on Auto?

The good news is that Postal 2 and Max Payne 2 don't give me the pausing problems anymore and performance seems slightly better, but this would be a small consolation if I knew that my card clock was slightly slower than 400/1100 because of RT or if RT and Coolbits would be conflicting and causing problems.

Can anyone give me advice with this?

Thanks

saturnotaku
09-23-04, 08:40 AM
Anything set in your BIOS will take precedence over software. If you can disable FW in your BIOS, do it and everything should be A-OK.

Vamp
09-23-04, 10:05 AM
Alot of people have commented on how disabling FW in bios doesn't have any effect on their card and they still get the random lockup.
I've disabled it in RivaTuner and that has seemed to help with the lockups, but should I disable it in bios as well, or just leave it as is?

Can anyone please help with my other questions, Thanks in advance.

Cota
09-23-04, 10:23 AM
first RTFM!!! (read the friendly manual)

if you still have doubts go to rivatuner forum in guru3d.com

Vamp
09-23-04, 10:43 AM
Done all of that, no help.

Just a summary.

1. Does RivaTuner conflict with Coolbits?

2. Why am I getting two slightly different clock readings in Forceware System Tweaks and Adapter Low-Level System Tweaks? What is low-level?

3. Does RivaTuner need to run in background/be on my Systray to run?

4. Are the right settings greyed out in different customizations?

5. Do I need to disable FW in Bios if it's disabled in RivaTuner?

saturnotaku
09-23-04, 10:55 AM
Done all of that, no help.

Just a summary.

1. Does RivaTuner conflict with Coolbits?

No.

2. Why am I getting two slightly different clock readings in Forceware System Tweaks and Adapter Low-Level System Tweaks? What is low-level?

Low level is the frequency when the card is first powered on until the drivers load in Windows (during POST, boot, while in safe mode, etc). Do not mess with low level overclocking on the 6800. Let the drivers handle it.

3. Does RivaTuner need to run in background/be on my Systray to run?

I prefer to do it that way, but it's not required.

5. Are the right settings greyed out in different customizations?

From your first post, they look fine to me.

4. Do I need to disable FW in Bios if it's disabled in RivaTuner?

No, but if you don't want to change it every time you reinstall your video drivers, you should leave it off in your BIOS. Set it and forget it.

Vamp
09-23-04, 11:23 AM
Ok! Great! So I don't have to worry about low-level clock? the clock that I play in will always be 400/1100 and not 399/1104? Is there a reason why I can select AGP settings in the Low-Level Tweak customization and not in the Forceware customization AGP section?

Before I disabled FW with RivaTuner and just disabled it in Bios, I was still getting those 10 second pauses.

Now I have my 2D and 3D clocks at the same speed, FW off in Bios and RT and have my AGP Aperture set to 64MB and there mayb be a slight improvment in performance + I'm not getting those godforsaken freezes!

I just wanted to be positive that my RivaTuner was correctly setup. How do I enable tweaking the Low-Level Hardware Clocking option instead of it being always greyed out? Is there a difference between the Low-Power 3D Clock (which has it's core clock 50mhz than my 2D and Performance 3D) and Low-Level clocking? Also, why is the Low-Level clocl (399/1104) visible in my Hardware Monitor if it's only used when powering up drivers?

saturnotaku
09-23-04, 11:36 AM
I just wanted to be positive that my RivaTuner was correctly setup. How do I enable tweaking the Low-Level Hardware Clocking option instead of it being always greyed out? Is there a difference between the Low-Power 3D Clock (which has it's core clock 50mhz than my 2D and Performance 3D) and Low-Level clocking? Also, why is the Low-Level clocl (399/1104) visible in my Hardware Monitor if it's only used when powering up drivers?

You're confused here. The low level overclocking is completely separate from low power frequencies. Low level is the POST/boot/safe mode setting. Low power is when the card overheats and throttles back on speed. If you're not experiencing problems any more, do not mess with either of these settings.

Vamp
09-23-04, 04:33 PM
Ok, just two more questions and then I'm covered!

Why do I get 399/1104 in my Hardware Monitor when that is the Low-Level clock

Can I just get rid of Coolbits now and use Rivatuner for all my overclocking? Will OCing in one tool change the clock in the other automatically?

Cota
09-23-04, 10:11 PM
First Unwinder does not recommend using low level overclocking with the nv3x and above.

The reason why the readings are different is because low level oc reads directly from the card instead of the driver.

you don't really need to get rid of coolbits, as rivatuner actually activates coolbits when overclocking, so when you overclock in rivatuner its also overclocked in coolbits.

Vamp
09-24-04, 04:58 AM
First Unwinder does not recommend using low level overclocking with the nv3x and above.

So that's why it's greyed out?

Thanks alot guys, sorry 'bout all the questions but I'm the type of guy who justs wants to know everything about something no matter how trivial!

EciDemon
09-24-04, 05:12 AM
Itīs greyed out so you can not use it.
Ive a feeling you can enable it under the power user settings

EciDemon
09-24-04, 05:53 AM
Did some checking, the low lever OC is dissabled on FX hardware so it can not interfer with Fx family dynamic driver level clock frequency adjustment

So just leave it at that.