PDA

View Full Version : got my 6800u fixed

pscl227
09-23-04, 09:24 AM
well took my 6800 round to my tv repair man (you may remember last ngiht i knocked a capacitor off of it and posted a thread about it) he fixed it while i waited and tested all the traces to make sure they wernt damaged and everything is a-ok..........ive even picked up an extra 12 points in 3dmark03 :lol2: so a big up to all you tv repair guys out their!!

MUYA
09-23-04, 09:26 AM
nice going! enjoy!! :D

Buck Armstrong
09-23-04, 10:21 AM
12 points?! I think I'll knock a capacitor off my GT tonight... :)

Saintster
09-23-04, 10:32 AM
Right on, I'm glad everything worked out for you,now enjoy your card!

Lfctony
09-23-04, 11:33 AM
Glad for you man, I hope you are happy, I know I'd be ecstatic. :)

Slyder
09-23-04, 12:06 PM
Good news. Glad to hear its working m8.

Happy gaming. ;)

Wavern
09-23-04, 08:17 PM
Hmm, maybe this is the start of a new trend of modding graphics cards. Do you have part #s for the capicitors you replaced? Are there bright LEDs involved??

:lol2:

Omega53
09-23-04, 08:38 PM
Any electrical engineer will be able to fix anything like that. Thats why im going electrical engineering in the navy :D

john19055
09-23-04, 08:40 PM
That good to hear,Glad you got it fixed.

pscl227
09-24-04, 08:02 AM
well if anyone is interested he replaced it with a 470uf 16v cap, compared with the 330uf 16v cap that was already on thier

Scott@Bjorn3D
09-24-04, 12:40 PM
Yup it is fun being able to do board level repairs. Since I am an old computer tech I still do alot of my old board level stuff. Guess old ComputerLand taught me something usefull after all.

F.Y.I. ComputerLand used to be the RadioShack/BestBuy for you kids out there. Not sure any of you remember being able to buy the original IBM PC and had to run it off a tape drive since the 120K Floppy was not out yet. Oh and 16K of RAM was more memory than would ever be needed!! HA HA the good old days.

Clay
09-24-04, 12:52 PM
Yup it is fun being able to do board level repairs.It is fun (although grossly voiding product warranties in doing so). The good thing nowadays is that it's a rare occassion to need to do these kinds of repairs as the manufacturing processes and overall quality is so much better than the old days.

F.Y.I. ComputerLand used to be the RadioShack/BestBuy for you kids out there. Not sure any of you remember being able to buy the original IBM PC and had to run it off a tape drive since the 120K Floppy was not out yet. Oh and 16K of RAM was more memory than would ever be needed!! HA HA the good old days.Don't forget about the TI-99/4A and that whole bunch, a cassette player was mandatory for any involved game like Adventure. The 4A's specs were smokin'!

RAM: 16K
CPU: TMS-9900, 16 bit (running at 3MHZ)
Graphic Resolution: 256x192

Scott@Bjorn3D
09-24-04, 01:25 PM
Clay,

I did not know you are such and old timer. Glad to see there is still a few of us around!!

Eltigre88
09-25-04, 04:12 PM
commodore 64 baby!

rthom
10-24-04, 11:05 PM
Well... I just had the exact same problem as you did! I was transporting my computer over to my brothers house by my car to do some work on it and when I got there I plugged it in and ... well.... the video card failed to start properly. No, I didn't have any issues in transportation, just a normal car ride. I cracked open the case only to find a loose capacitor rolling around on the bottom!!

It took me a few minutes but I traced it back to the video card. Damm I'm pissed beyond belief.... I pay 500 bucks for a video card and a capacitor falls off while I'm transporting my pc to my brother's house? WTF? That tells me that there are some serious issues with this capacitor.

I'm going to contact evga for an rma for this one as I am certain this problem is in the design of the product. My 500 dollar video card should survive an uneventful 10 mile car ride.

Wish me luck!

bkswaney
10-25-04, 01:24 AM
Glad to hear u got it fixed. :)
Enjoy that beast. :D

mustrum
10-25-04, 03:44 AM
Well... I just had the exact same problem as you did! I was transporting my computer over to my brothers house by my car to do some work on it and when I got there I plugged it in and ... well.... the video card failed to start properly. No, I didn't have any issues in transportation, just a normal car ride. I cracked open the case only to find a loose capacitor rolling around on the bottom!!

It took me a few minutes but I traced it back to the video card. Damm I'm pissed beyond belief.... I pay 500 bucks for a video card and a capacitor falls off while I'm transporting my pc to my brother's house? WTF? That tells me that there are some serious issues with this capacitor.

I'm going to contact evga for an rma for this one as I am certain this problem is in the design of the product. My 500 dollar video card should survive an uneventful 10 mile car ride.

Wish me luck!
I'd RMA it too for sure! They screwed something up since a capacitor shouldn't just fall off like that.
It scares me since there's so much incidents like this one. Actual high tech graphics card seem to be poor quality wich is a shame.

Sovereignxp
10-25-04, 10:25 PM
Sounds like it was a crappy solder job. :lame:

That sux.

leatherface
10-25-04, 10:43 PM
nice to hear that.... definteley something worth fixing. enjoy!