PDA

View Full Version : Did FW really solve youre freezing problem? [Read first!]

Schumi4ever
09-23-04, 01:32 PM
Im not going to make an entire story about this, so Ill just keep it short.

I want to know whether disabling fw really solved your freezing problem. For me, it only allows me to oc (some 20mhz) further, after that I got freezing again.

So those who think disabling fw (and only that!) solved their problem, please post here what your previous max oc was, what your new one is, and whether you then get stopped because of artefacts or because of freezing.

Also post what card and mobo you have ;)

I have the xfx geforce 6800gt and the msi k8n neo platinum mobo. With fw my max oc is 360, without 380. After that I get the freezing again.

saturnotaku
09-23-04, 01:36 PM
I don't understand...were you getting freezing at default speeds with FW enabled? Did you get freezing after disabling FW and overclocking?

TacT
09-23-04, 03:57 PM
Thankfully never experienced the problem to begin with. The speed difference between having fastwrites on (provided your system has no issues with it) and getting the extra mhz oc with it turned off didn't make enough difference in speed to warrant turning it off for a higher overclock.

I've always tested with fastwrites on and off and have always benefited from having it turned on wherever possible. I'm a bit confused as to what you're asking also..

Elvin Presler
09-23-04, 04:24 PM
Freezing is caused by overclocking. Duh!

grimreefer
09-23-04, 04:27 PM
yea..... its a sign of u going too far

Schumi4ever
09-23-04, 04:30 PM

Please know what youre talking about before you talk about it :rolleyes:

This freezing problems to a lot of cards which arent oc, and fyi, I get this freezing problem only in d3d, not in opengl. There I can run 425/1200 easy. Tell me again freezing is caused by ocerclocking :rolleyes:

radial
09-23-04, 04:32 PM
Fw was the cause of annoying 2-3 second lockups for my part. Disabling Fw solved all my problems, and everything is just fine and dandy now.

francisD
09-23-04, 04:36 PM
I am getting erratic jumps even when playing farcry at 640x480, it feels like my character has parkinson.

saturnotaku
09-23-04, 04:42 PM
Tell me again freezing is caused by ocerclocking :rolleyes:

Freezing can be caused by overclocking your card's core too high. Have you tried to running your card at stock speeds to see if you have problems?

Vamp
09-23-04, 05:40 PM
Disabling Fast-Writes in RivaTuner defintely solved the problem, but only in RT, not doing a straight disable in Bios.

I havn't tried OCing even further because my GT is already at 400/1110 and it's not a Golden Sample.

I just want to be able to know I basically have a Geforce Ultra... Status thing :)

But yes, disabling fast writes have abolished the freezing and may have increased performance a teensy bit.

Schumi4ever
09-23-04, 06:04 PM
The reason for this thread is that many people have freezing problems at stock speeds, and some only when oc (for example their gt to 400/1100). Then they disable fw and the problem is gone. Many people then think disabling fw actually solved their problem, because they dont bother oc when they disabled fast writes.

But thats exaclty what I want to know, wether it really solved your problem (meaning that when you oc even more, youll get artifacting instead of freezing), or that the freezing will come back again.

So I dont need to hear that fw fixed your problem if you didnt oc even further, I want the experiences from those who did oc further.

Schumi4ever
09-23-04, 06:07 PM
Freezing can be caused by overclocking your card's core too high. Have you tried to running your card at stock speeds to see if you have problems?

Please read my posts more carefull.

How come in d3d I get freezing at +-380, whilst in opengl (cod, mohaa, doom3!) I can easily hit 425 without any problem at all, no heat problems either.

So its obvious 380 isnt the max of my core :rolleyes: