PDA

View Full Version : Is Rome Total War openGL?

avesta
09-23-04, 07:05 PM
Is R:TW openGL or Direct3D?

anyone know?

Gaco
09-23-04, 07:49 PM
I don't know, but I would 95% think its D3D..

zoomy942
09-23-04, 10:52 PM
i thinks its D3D cause it can be SM3.0 enabled.

Subtestube
09-24-04, 02:43 AM
You can use SM3.0 stuff in OpenGL... just by enabling the FP40 & VP40 Profiles (surely)... at least that would be my understanding of it. I can't think why SM 3.0 WOULDN'T work with OpenGL... after all, it's just a feature set expansion.

To be fair, I've not actually tried that yet - all the shader stuff I'm doing at the moment only needs the FP & VP30 profiles, but I can't see why the new profiles *wouldn't* work.

EDIT: This is no longer just a suspicion. I just loaded up the NVSDK, and a good proportion of the "GeForce 6 only" demos (i.e., SM 3.0 required) are OpenGL based.

As to the original question, couldn't say whether R:TW will be DX or OpenGL, but I'd guess strongly at DX.

zoomy942
09-24-04, 07:16 AM
You can use SM3.0 stuff in OpenGL... just by enabling the FP40 & VP40 Profiles (surely)... at least that would be my understanding of it. I can't think why SM 3.0 WOULDN'T work with OpenGL... after all, it's just a feature set expansion.

To be fair, I've not actually tried that yet - all the shader stuff I'm doing at the moment only needs the FP & VP30 profiles, but I can't see why the new profiles *wouldn't* work.

EDIT: This is no longer just a suspicion. I just loaded up the NVSDK, and a good proportion of the "GeForce 6 only" demos (i.e., SM 3.0 required) are OpenGL based.

As to the original question, couldn't say whether R:TW will be DX or OpenGL, but I'd guess strongly at DX.

sm3.0 in opengl? i didnt know that! thanks... i learn something new everyday. :)

Buck Armstrong
09-24-04, 11:20 AM
Since the 2 previous titles (Shogun, Medieval) have been D3D, I'd guess Rome will be too.

avesta
09-24-04, 03:30 PM
I dont know. I haven't gotten a concrete answer from anyone yet.

nVidi0t
09-24-04, 03:32 PM
It uses Direct X.

nVestor
09-24-04, 04:00 PM
System Requirements:

English version of Microsoft Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP; Pentium III 1.0 GHz or Athlon 1.0 GHz processor or higher; 256MB RAM; 8x Speed CD-ROM drive; 2.9 GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 500MB for Windows swap file); 100% DirectX 9.0b-compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers; 100% Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP-compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers; 1024x768 monitor resolution; 3D hardware accelerator card required -- 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 64MB hardware accelerated video card and the latest drivers.

Multiplayer Requirements: Internet connection (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported; Internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers; LAN play requires network interface card and latest drivers
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/235704.asp

Mesce
09-25-04, 06:52 AM
That doesn't mean anything. Doom3 is 100% direct x 9.0c compatible, even opengl games use directX

Skrot
09-25-04, 07:49 AM
Doom3 is 100% direct x 9.0c compatibleWhat does that actually mean?

MUYA
09-25-04, 08:35 AM
not much. I think what Mesce means is that the driver intermediates the OpenGL API calls which hooks into DX API for some calls/ routines etc? not sure....but OpenGL itself is different to the way it written for..in C++ or whatever. ...maybe i am wrong?

Subtestube
09-25-04, 08:46 AM
not much. I think what Mesce means is that the driver intermediates the OpenGL API calls which hooks into DX API for some calls/ routines etc? not sure....but OpenGL itself is different to the way it written for..in C++ or whatever. ...maybe i am wrong?

I'm not sure what you mean here...? I mean OpenGL does all the rendering in D3 to my knowledge, and GL doesn't need DirectX at all to do... well, anything in terms of actual screen rendering. At the same time, there's no good reason the D3 engine couldn't use DirectX for Sound, interaction... any of that sort of stuff. C++ Is just the programming language it's written in and has nothing (directly at least) to do with the choice between OpenGL and DirectX. DirectX is a superset of various different sub-APIs... DirectDraw and Direct3D are only two of them. So.. I guess it's possible that R:TW could be compliant with DX 9.0b, and still use OpenGL. Still, I highly doubt it does... DX just seems far more likely. In real terms, very very few current games use anything other than DirectX. One way to know is if they plan to release for Linux/MacOS. If they do, they're almost certainly not using DirectX for their rendering as it'd require most of that code to be totally re-written. Note, that this, again, is not even remotely conclusive. It's all guesswork, at best (for the moment). To be totally honest, whether it uses OpenGL or DirectX is pretty irrelevant from an end user standpoint. Least, if you have a standard PC running windows it is.

nVestor
09-25-04, 01:13 PM
That doesn't mean anything. Doom3 is 100% direct x 9.0c compatible, even opengl games use directX

For Direct sound and maybe Direct Draw, which I think is for the cut scene movies, though it is an OpenGL game. I think what they are saying indirectly by suggesting a DX9b card is if it requires DX9b, the card is obviously newer and should run OpenGL just fine.

I also think since Direct X is synonymous with Microsoft, so it is easier, from a marketing stand point, to suggest a Direct X 9b card is more successful than recommending a OpenGL 1.5 card.

So you are correct Mesce, it is kinda worthless anymore. I guess the next obivous solution would be to look for a Linux or Mac port. Doom 3 is suppose to do both, that should suggest OpenGL.

Then there is the obvious, dumb down all your graphics settings in the control panel for your card on DX, and set them as high as you can in OpenGL side. If you gain performance dramatically, it must be DX. If it drops lower than you were at, it must be OpenGL. :)

Ofcourse, I would imagine the read me file in the demo/game would have mention something more too. If not, that is pretty lame. :(

MUYA
09-25-04, 05:34 PM
I'm not sure what you mean here...? I mean OpenGL does all the rendering in D3 to my knowledge, and GL doesn't need DirectX at all to do... well, anything in terms of actual screen rendering. At the same time, there's no good reason the D3 engine couldn't use DirectX for Sound, interaction... any of that sort of stuff. C++ Is just the programming language it's written in and has nothing (directly at least) to do with the choice between OpenGL and DirectX. DirectX is a superset of various different sub-APIs... DirectDraw and Direct3D are only two of them. So.. I guess it's possible that R:TW could be compliant with DX 9.0b, and still use OpenGL. Still, I highly doubt it does... DX just seems far more likely. In real terms, very very few current games use anything other than DirectX. One way to know is if they plan to release for Linux/MacOS. If they do, they're almost certainly not using DirectX for their rendering as it'd require most of that code to be totally re-written. Note, that this, again, is not even remotely conclusive. It's all guesswork, at best (for the moment). To be totally honest, whether it uses OpenGL or DirectX is pretty irrelevant from an end user standpoint. Least, if you have a standard PC running windows it is.

I am not so knowledgeable and was guessing well, I remember when Riva 128s came out and then those had beta openGL support and remember that some online articles and published refered to OpenGL having some hooks into DX. well thats it.....I am no expert and was not giving a defining explanation..hence..I could be wrong part ;)