PDA

View Full Version : Should FPS always be stable?

Vamp
09-27-04, 03:56 PM
It seems that some days I get 80.1 FPS on the Doom 3 Timedemo 1 and other days I only get 77.6, is this a normal occurence? I've gone to the extent of doing a system restore to the day when I was getting 80fps but I still only seem to be getting 77, this has happened before and it seems that progressivly over a day or two the frames return... Can new drivers sound, display or chipset (I did change from 61.36 to 61.77) cause a loss in FPS? The game is still very playable, don't get me wrong, I can't even notice a difference but just the fact that those 2 and a half frames have just disappeared is quite weird, especially seeing as system restore never brought them back.

I'll shut down my PC tonight like I do everynight and see if maybe all it takes is a rest to cool-down that can return those 3 frames.

EciDemon
09-27-04, 04:07 PM
Yeah, different drivers can affect performance, ecpecially nvidia gfx drivers. But they usually dont vary that much. Fsaa and AF quallity usually differ a little bit too (the extra speed or loss must come from somewere right).

Every now and then we do get a big jump in performance, like nvidia 4x.xx to 5x.xx jump, it made a huge difference in Ps2.0 applications.

3 fps is not much, Try to find drivers you think are stable overall or perhaps offers better OC.

Im using 65.76 for my PoV 6800 and they seem to work great I think

aaahhh52
09-27-04, 04:07 PM
It seems that some days I get 80.1 FPS on the Doom 3 Timedemo 1 and other days I only get 77.6, is this a normal occurence? I've gone to the extent of doing a system restore to the day when I was getting 80fps but I still only seem to be getting 77, this has happened before and it seems that progressivly over a day or two the frames return... Can new drivers sound, display or chipset (I did change from 61.36 to 61.77) cause a loss in FPS? The game is still very playable, don't get me wrong, I can't even notice a difference but just the fact that those 2 and a half frames have just disappeared is quite weird, especially seeing as system restore never brought them back.

I'll shut down my PC tonight like I do everynight and see if maybe all it takes is a rest to cool-down that can return those 3 frames.:wtf:

superklye
09-27-04, 04:54 PM
:wtf:

i agree

GamerGuyX
09-27-04, 05:09 PM
This guy VAMP I swear. Whats he gonna tell us next? "I went into options 5 times, said 8 hail marie's, spun twice in my chair and found a jaggy in the upper right corner of the screen. Can someone tell me how to fix this. It must be a bug". :retard:

Vamp
09-28-04, 05:56 AM
It's the obessive compulsive disorder, it happens with everything I do. I can't enjoy this PC unless I know what changes that new driver update will do, then I want to know why DriversHQ still says I should update that specific driver, then I want to know why when I went to Update Driver in Device Manager it never asked me to reboot, then if it doesn't make any changes I want to know if I installed it right, then when I find out how to install it, I uninstall it and reinstall it again,then I delete the setup file for the drivers and goto Update Driver and wonder why it's still able to install something if there's no setup file on my PC, then I want to know why I've lost a few frames in a game and if it has something to do with the actual driver, then I'll uninstall those drivers and revert back to the first ones that came with my PC, then when I've done that and the frames are still missing I'll do a system restore back to when I still had those 2 frames, than I'll want to know everything about system restore. I know that those 2 frames are not going to make any difference in games and I would never have even gotten into this whole FPS thing if I never knew about Doom 3's TimeDemo Demo1... It's just the fact that my PC Is performing a % less than it was and I want to know why and stop it!

It's a vicious cycle and frankly Google doesn't help, answers are much more helpful when they're directed at you and your exact question.

Cheimison
09-28-04, 06:09 AM
It seems that some days I get 80.1 FPS on the Doom 3 Timedemo 1 and other days I only get 77.6, is this a normal occurence?
Heating, system background processes you don't know about and all sorts of other crap can affect it. As long as it's consistently in the 50+ fps range there's not really any problem.

Vamp
09-28-04, 08:49 AM
I'm ruling it out as a temp issue, I installed older drivers, didn't help, I did a system restore back to when I was getting 80FPS, didn't work either, used Tuneup, defragged, adware, spybotand CleanMyPC to optimize my PC, closed everything in System Processess except for stuff that couldn't be closed... Never worked either. last time this happened, the frames returned so I'm guessing it has to do with the heat.

Vamp
09-28-04, 10:39 AM
Seem to have sorted it out by downloading the 61.36 drivers... 80.4 FPS in D3 baby!