PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell moving too fast?

_leech_
09-28-04, 12:12 AM
I'm having this really weird problem with Splinter Cell. It seems that at times it moves way to fast, kind of like the effect you would get when you play a really old game on a really new PC. It doesn't matter what resolution i run it at (although the game's speed does go back to normal when there's general slowdown) and vsync doesn't seem to have an effect either...

Little help?

XP_GUN
09-28-04, 12:15 AM
computers too new, its time to downgrade for you jk... Did you download the lates pach for the game?

_leech_
09-28-04, 12:16 AM
computers too new, its time to downgrade for you jk... Did you download the lates pach for the game?

Yup, i have.

XP_GUN
09-28-04, 12:28 AM
hu this is really odd nothing around google that you have discribed, maby you can try reinstalling the game without the update?

_leech_
09-28-04, 12:30 AM
hu this is really odd nothing around google that you have discribed, maby you can try reinstalling the game without the update?

Good idea, i'll give it a shot.

_leech_
09-28-04, 12:43 AM
Well i've re-installed it and it still has the same behavior. I'm using the 66.32 drivers, btw.

XP_GUN
09-28-04, 01:02 AM
I was looking around some and saw that one person had complaned about the issue that you have with it speeding up but that was it. Might need to try using a differnet driver but I dont know if that has to do anything with the problem maby some one else knows whats up, also try to get all the old Splinter Cell files out like the settings and stuff and install it into a different folder and copy the saved games into it.

Ill do some more reseach tomorrow in the mean time you can seach around google for it....

good night... :)

Sazar
09-28-04, 01:05 AM
_leech_

I presume you are running your system with cool n quiet enabled...

prior to playing splinter cell... go into your power profiles and change it from minimal power usage to desktop or whatever it is and then play...

that way the game will not pick up the cpu clock as being 800mhz and will play normally...

you will notice the same behavious exhibited in games like America's Army and so on... so forth...

once you have played the game just revert to your original power profile and yer fine :)

if yer not running cool n quiet than at least it can be eliminated from the list of possible causes :)

_leech_
09-28-04, 01:09 AM
_leech_

I presume you are running your system with cool n quiet enabled...

prior to playing splinter cell... go into your power profiles and change it from minimal power usage to desktop or whatever it is and then play...

that way the game will not pick up the cpu clock as being 800mhz and will play normally...

you will notice the same behavious exhibited in games like America's Army and so on... so forth...

once you have played the game just revert to your original power profile and yer fine :)

if yer not running cool n quiet than at least it can be eliminated from the list of possible causes :)

Actually i am running Cool n' Quiet. I'll try out your suggestion, though it would totally suck to have to do this every time i wanted to play SC...

Sazar
09-28-04, 01:11 AM
I unfortunately had to do it...

its a very simple process... I even made a shortcut to directly open power profiles in order to change it :)

_leech_
09-28-04, 01:23 AM
Yup, that's what was causing it, thanks a lot :)

Now if there was only a way to make the game look better ;)

Sazar
09-28-04, 01:50 AM
good to know... it sounded like it was what i experienced except you said it stablisied after some time :confused:

that threw me off a little :)

anyways if you want to ease things up simply make a powerprofile shortcut on your dtop or on your quick launch bar or whatever you use... will make it easy to just go directly to it before starting SC...

off the top of my head I remember the same problem occured with america's army and splinter cell : pandora tomorrow... I don't know if it occurs in any other game...

doom3, far cry, ut2k4 and other games seem to perform fine with CnQ active... I think its just the manner in which the game collects the cpu clock speed while loading up...

kyleb
09-28-04, 11:04 AM
Now if there was only a way to make the game look better ;)

Well you should turn on projector shadows as half the shadows are missing with geforce6s and special "Nvidia" shadow mode.

_leech_
09-28-04, 12:40 PM
Well you should turn on projector shadows as half the shadows are missing with geforce6s and special "Nvidia" shadow mode.

Do tell.

kyleb
09-28-04, 01:09 PM
In your splinter cell/system folder is the SplinterCell.ini which has a line:

; ForceShadowMode flag : 0==projector, 1==buffer, unspecified==auto-detect
and under that you need to make the next line read:

ForceShadowMode=0

Make sure the ";" isn't there in the line you change as that comments it out. Nvidia had cool buffer shadows in splinter cell but they took the functionalty out somewhere back in the 5x.xx series drivers.

CaptNKILL
09-28-04, 01:32 PM
That Cool n Quiet program sounds like a bunch of crap... ive seen a few people around here complaining about odd speed issues in games, all of them are related to that program. Anything thats trying to change your systems clock speed on the fly cant possibly be good for games (as far as I know, games use the system clock for timing). If heat is that much of an issue, sell your high-end mobo\CPU and buy a cheaper and cooler setup. :p

Sazar
09-29-04, 11:44 AM
cool n quiet is a nice solution... you don't notice any lag in games or apps based on the way it works because there are upto 30 changes in clock per second based on needs...

generally my system runs @ 800mhz constantly unless there is a heavy duty app running or I am multi-tasking significantly and the cpu usage threshold crosses a certain point...

the issues in games is not a CnQ problem... it is a problem with the way the games gather their data when loading and run as a consequence... at least IMO...

the usage of CNQ is less about heat in my case than it is about power consumption... I have consuming 1/3rd the power I do using my cpu @ full speed...