PDA

View Full Version : are you getting an sli setting (yes or no)


retsam
09-28-04, 03:16 AM
well i was just wondering. how many people here is gonna get an sli setup when its availible. im gonna get one maybe a month or so after nf4 and nv45 is finally released.


retsam

jAkUp
09-28-04, 03:18 AM
Probably... :)

retsam
09-28-04, 03:22 AM
wow that was fast

jolle
09-28-04, 04:24 AM
Voted no, at this time..

But, next mobo i get, ill prolly want SLI cabable..
Which will enable me to upgrade with another videocard when my first one starts getting old..

Would like to see SLI being reviewed tho, how fast it is, if there is any issues, bugs or problems with it..
Seems to complicated a thing to just work flawlessly in its first iteration, but we will se..

Gator
09-28-04, 07:50 AM
Because I fit into the category of midrange consumer, meaning I donot spend more than $200 or so on a video card, I answer no. An SLI configuration will always be beyond my means, and furthermore as I'm locked at 1024x768 with my LCD's anyway it's kind of pointless for me to get such a powerful video card setup. It's the same reason I'm still using an FX5900XT, because at 1024x768 with no AA/AF I get nearly identical performance that a 6800 would provide me.

jolle
09-28-04, 08:38 AM
Because I fit into the category of midrange consumer, meaning I donot spend more than $200 or so on a video card, I answer no. An SLI configuration will always be beyond my means,

Ive always looked upon SLI as the poor mans way to performance..
Ofcource provided you already bought a SLI mobo during a upgrade, you would prolly buy a midend card like 6600GT or something, then a few months later or whatever, you might want to invest in ANOTHER 6600GT for "a not too large sum of money" instead of buying a higher end card for alot more money and tossing the 6600GT away..

Going full out and buying SLI mobo, 2 highend PCI-E videocards all at once is ofcource what some will spoil themselves with, but it think nVidia has the low/mid end as a target here, since I think that is where they make the most money (ex the GF4MX must have been a golden cow for em)
Buying a low/mid end card, then upgrading with another, somewhat cheapish provided you already have a capable mobo, which might be "standard" more or less in a few months..

nVestor
09-28-04, 09:07 AM
I voted yes, no matter what :nanahump:

My reasoning is the probability for bugs is already known. The way I figure, by the time some/most are worked out, I will be able to grab myself another PCI-E card at that time. Till then, I will still be able to use the nForce 4 chipset and a single PCI-E card perfectly fine. :)

If bugs are limited, then I would be able to jump on twin PCI-E cards right away. Unlikely, though planned for just incase. :D

So ya, we already know bugs are imminent. However I think nVidia has one hell of a driver team and that they will have these things sorted out in a fairly short amount of time. It's not like this is the only chipset they are doing it for, they gotta get it going right on the workstation chipsets as well for Quadro FX 4400, 3400, and 1400 users. :)

Mr.Clawz950
09-28-04, 12:13 PM
Possibly. I really want to see the performance from everyone else before I decide to invest in SLI and another card.

Sazar
09-28-04, 12:25 PM
I've got the wait and see approach going :)

likely I will though... or a similar tech :cool:

saturnotaku
09-28-04, 12:55 PM
I'm sure I'll get one eventually, but it probably wouldn't be until mid-2006 at the earliest.

SH64
09-28-04, 01:10 PM
maybe - depends on hardware compatibilty .

circuitbreaker8
09-28-04, 03:26 PM
I'll wait for it to mature a little.

borntosoul
09-28-04, 06:00 PM
we'll have to see how much they are going to charge us for those sli motherboards. if its going to cost US$70 more than i might not bother.

stncttr908
09-28-04, 06:47 PM
Well, I'm hoping to go nForce4 and NVIDIA next time around, so depending on the performance gains, probably.