PDA

View Full Version : Rome Total War

Pages : [1] 2

YOGIx213
09-28-04, 03:29 AM
Just bought it today at Fry's ....

http://img55.exs.cx/img55/5125/RTW.jpg

I've played Shogun and Medievel TW and so far so good. I thought it would just be the same old as the other two but there is anew interface and the battle scenes are great. You can zoom all the way in and see some of the carnage. It's really fun when you charge your cavalry in and see the bodies flying. Very Gladiator and Braveheart-like in feel.

Also, I have all settings fully maxed out and the game runs flawlessly on my 6800 Ultra. I heard from someone that it might tax the card but so far I haven't had any problems.

The screenshot I inserted doesn't do the battle scenes any justice. It was kind of hard for me to pick a good point to press print screen because there was so much going on from differnt parts of the batlle.

I haven't been too far in the game but I'm already hooked. Anyone else out there playing this? :)

Sazar
09-28-04, 03:40 AM
nice :)

i will hopefully be able to play this game sometime next week... I started orientation for my new job and have been busy :)

wrt screencaps, consider dling and running FRAPS... I believe mike has a sticky on it in one of the threads here... you can take multiple screen caps and they are all stored in the fraps folder or wherever you specify... makes life a lot easier...

YOGIx213
09-28-04, 03:44 AM
Yeah, I'll check that thread out. It would have been nice to take multiple screenshots and then pick and choose because while I was trying to get the right shot while using just the print screen button, I would miss the good parts (lol).

nVidi0t
09-28-04, 02:37 PM
I've been playing it every spare second I have had since I bought it.

Best Strategy of all time. Period.

vampireuk
09-28-04, 02:52 PM
I must get this game, I have all the total war titles :D

Ninjaman09
09-28-04, 03:27 PM
I loved the demo, I've been waiting for the cheese to get this one. Arg, I hate being responsible with my money.

Mr.Clawz950
09-28-04, 04:51 PM
Definately the best RTS game I've ever played. I've spent my entire weekend playing the game almost non-stop. Very fun.

anzak
09-28-04, 05:03 PM
I did not enjoy the demo that well so I've decided to skip it. Im a AoE and AoM fan my self. Anyway the graphics are absolutely stunning on two monitors, if you have a second (quality) monitor just sitting around hook it up and give it a go.

aaahhh52
09-28-04, 05:16 PM
the demo is not a good representation, i was playin a few MP battles last night, so much strategy invloved its great

Vash
09-29-04, 10:17 PM
I've been planning on posting this here all week, but haven't had time to get on the PC after work. Enjoy! (Subject is a bit regional)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Vash_TS/Rome-TotalWar.jpg

Clay
09-29-04, 10:26 PM
I've been planning on posting this here all week, but haven't had time to get on the PC after work. Enjoy! (Subject is a bit regional)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Vash_TS/Rome-TotalWar.jpg
^^ rack him :D

Rome isn't all that regional. He's been on here in Indy for as long as I can remember. :cool:

Vash
09-30-04, 12:00 PM
*shrug* I don't listen to the guy, so I've got no idea exactly how big he is. Thought he was regional, but oh well. :D

Clay
09-30-04, 12:06 PM
*shrug* I don't listen to the guy, so I've got no idea exactly how big he is. Thought he was regional, but oh well. :D
You're not missing much. :D I listen to sports radio quite a bit this time of year so I catch him quite a bit. He's a really good guy but his "act" gets kinda tired. He does have some excellent guests though and he is a good interviewer. He even has a show on ESPN "Rome is Burning"...yeah, as radio guys go he's one of the biggest around.

YOGIx213
09-30-04, 01:45 PM
Yeah, Jim Rome has a good show at times, but also at times you can get really annoyed by it. Especially his "clones". I always change the station when I hear callers call in and rant and rave like Rome does. His interviews though are pretty good, as Clay said, he gets some pretty good guests.

saturnotaku
09-30-04, 01:56 PM
I wish I had a vast enough repository of sports knowledge to have my own talk radio show. :(

Zetto
09-30-04, 05:37 PM
Thread has been officially hijacked by Rome's aficionados :D

YOGIx213
09-30-04, 05:45 PM
Thread has been officially hijacked by Rome's aficionados :D

I knew this might happen when I posted, but I was having so much fun with the game, I had to let it be known how great this game really is. :)

Zetto
10-01-04, 02:41 PM
RTW is awesome, but it has too many bugs.... Feels a little rushed :(

aaahhh52
10-01-04, 03:13 PM
wasnt the water supposed to reflect or something? i thought i read that somewhere maybe not *shrug*

YOGIx213
10-01-04, 05:30 PM
There are some bugs that need to be fixed but over all, I think it was good enough for release. I'm having a blast. I haven't felt this excited about a game in a while. There are some stuttering issues when you control an army of over 1000 men but I kind of expected that. I am going to try the Rivatuner D3D tweak (mentioned in the Nvidia Card forum) to see if that might make a difference.

Subtestube
10-16-04, 12:47 AM
Hi hi! Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I have this game, and have a question or two for people with 6800 Non-Ultras who also have it. Due to my reasonably bad CPU, I can't tell whether the slow down I'm getting in really big battles is GPU or CPU. I guess I could run extensive tests, but it's faster to find out what settings you guys with better CPUs run the game at without experiencing GPU limitation. Basically I want to know how high I can go in terms of visual settings with this game, without any slowdown I experience being caused by the GPU.

Cheers.

YOGIx213
10-16-04, 04:16 AM
Well, I get the slow down too with my 6800 Ultra but that's with all in-game settings maxed and 4xAA 8xAF if the battle is humongous. If I dropped the in game settings to medium, the large battles run smoothly. There's not much of a difference in picture quality from high to medium (not any I can see) though so I would go with medium. The game isn't very graphics intensive (meaning not as detailed as a Doom 3 or HL2 game) so the difference is minuscule, it just really taxes the gpu and cpu due to the large amount of men in the battle (these battles get freakin crazy at times) and the ability to zoom in on the battle. I love this game.

Nothing like hearing thousands of men screaming while they charge head first into each other. Or seeing your cavalry charge the enemy and see their bodies fly in the air.

Subtestube
10-16-04, 09:38 AM
Mmmm.. I dig it too... I guess tomorrow I'll try downing the settings to medium and seeing how the battles fair with upwards of 4000 men (which is when my computer "has a cry" at present.)

DaveW
10-16-04, 10:04 AM
Hi, Turn off high quality shadows, they always kill performance in ANY game. You might also try setting the special effects detail down a little. I think this adjusts the number of particles in the smoke, which is another performance killer.

YOGIx213
10-16-04, 06:23 PM
Well. I can't even play the damn game. After I applied their patch, when I start up, the start menu gets all corrupted and I have to exit. Anyone else have that problem? It only happened to me after the patch. I'm going to reinstall it without the patch and just wait for a newer one.