PDA

View Full Version : The games you love to hate

Pages : [1] 2

saturnotaku
09-28-04, 04:15 PM
I had some free time last weekend so I decided to revisit Ninja Gaiden on my Xbox. That's what prompted this thread. I want to know what games you all love to hate - ones that have caused you to want to break your keyboards/controllers in frustration, yet at the same time you were incredibly compelled to finish the game.

Ninja Gaiden is by far number 1 on my list. I absolutely abhor this game, but I still want to play because I feel an incredible sense of reward upon completing a level/mission. The fixed camera issues from the first hurricane pack should help alleviate some of the frustration, and I can't wait to get that downloaded.

Far Cry is another game that's on this list. The outstanding graphics and incredible sense of immersion overshadowed the vast amounts of frustration that came from playing, especially in the later levels. Sure, the ending sucked donkey bong, but the game was still worth every last red cent.

So how about you?

Riptide
09-28-04, 05:12 PM
I know I'm wierd like this but Jedi Outcast was a game like that for me. There were some areas that had puzzles for which I swear I could not figure it out. But the game was good enough that after raising the white flag and opening up the walkthrough I continued on anyway. I didn't beat Desann with the help of the guide at least. :)

GamerGuyX
09-28-04, 06:15 PM
Speaking of games that have pissed us off. What exactly have you guys done when getting mad? Me? I once head-butted my monitor before. :rolleyes: I also once threw a controller on my bed only to have it bounce back up and hit me in the face. (omg) Oh, and I once punched a hole through my door...

But that was a long time ago... :angel2:

Seoulstriker
09-28-04, 06:26 PM
Half Life sucks s***.

CaptNKILL
09-28-04, 06:28 PM
Speaking of games that have pissed us off. What exactly have you guys done when getting mad? I once head-butted my monitor before. :rolleyes: I also once threw a controller on my bed only to have it bounce back up and hit me in the face. (omg) Oh, and I once punched a hole through my door...

But that was a long time ago... :angel2:
I remember when i was little Nintendo games pissed me off really bad, so Id stomp on the ground. Remember the old nintendos? Ya... Id stomp and the game would pop up inside the system and itd crash. Those systems were such a horrible design :argh:

Vash
09-28-04, 07:12 PM
Ninja Gaiden's more love than hate for me... but you know, all it takes is a bad afternoon and that changes pretty quick. Halo on Legendary is definitely the same kinda thing.

I'd also like to add: Tetris, Bejeweled, Far Cry and NFS: Hot Persuit 2 to the list.

karkrash81
09-28-04, 07:41 PM
Far cry for sure...i did give up at the last boss though...

X wing alliance comes to mind...that was a hard game

generally i try to avoid games that frustrate me...after reading quite a few reviews i can usually get the gist of a game... i hate first person shooters with maze like maps where you get lost and can't find your friggin' way out... that's just plain bad game design...fortunately most shooters are not like that now

and tetris is worse than drugs for me... i don't play it because if i do, i'll be unable to do anything else for hours...

aAv7
09-28-04, 08:26 PM
I agree...Tetris is video game crack.

LiquidX
09-28-04, 08:37 PM
Another vote for Ninja Gaiden. I really hate the game even though I should love it and I sometimes put it down for weeks but there is like a urge in me to finish it and be rid of it. I really cant play it for long and hope if there is a sequal its nothing like it.

karkrash81
09-28-04, 09:27 PM
now i have that damn tetris music stuck in my head!

Edge
09-28-04, 10:07 PM
Heh, I actually thought the difficulty in Ninja Gaiden was about right. There were a few very tough fights (like the first battle against Alma, and that damn Dragon who was very fun but they put the save point wayyyyy on the other side of the level from him), but overall it was nice to play a game that I really felt like I was being challenged. I though Farcry was alright, but the difficulty in that game was just plain unbalanced. First off the checkpoints sucked 90% of the time (it's like they took the save location from the Dragon fight in Ninja Gaiden and decided to make EVERY major checkpoint like that), and secondly some "fights" consisted of waiting about 5 minutes for the marines and mutants to stop killing eachother before rushing in and killing the survivors. Now I like games that have 2 opposing sides fighting eachother, but it's only fun when you can see which side is winning and help out the losing side by picking off a few of the stronger guys for them, like Halo did in later levels. Breakdown is one game that I thoroughly enjoyed, however some of the checkpoints and fights were quite annoying. Combat against multiple people is fairly managable once you figure out how to do it, but some of those enemies were just so damn annoying when they gang up on you (including one very hard part at the end of the game where you fight like 5 waves of enemies in a row).

BTW, check out the Hurricane Pack volume 2, it makes Ninja Gaiden like twice as hard :D

mrrolf
09-28-04, 10:26 PM
I used to spit at the TV.
Not a good idea when playing at a friends house.

NightFire
09-28-04, 10:47 PM
Most of the Megaman games come onto my list. The later levels are incredibly hard, yet I'm drawn to try to finish them.

GamingLord, that's hilarious! I never get too violent, except for that one time when I chucked my SNES out the window. Luckily it survived the crash...

GamerGuyX
09-28-04, 10:57 PM
GamingLord, that's hilarious! I never get too violent, except for that one time when I chucked my SNES out the window. Luckily it survived the crash...

I'm glad my misery amuses you... :D

NightFire
09-28-04, 10:59 PM
But of course! :p

theultimo
09-28-04, 11:02 PM
The NWC semi-finals. Almost made it to SMB3, and missed it by 5,000 points.........(1990)

Mr. Hunt
09-29-04, 12:16 AM
I LOVED Ninja Gaiden for its difficulty... I hate when companies make games that are ridiculously easy. Ninja Gaiden was hard but not TOO hard. I also heard a lot of complaints about Devil May Cry but it never gave me any trouble. I wish more games were actually difficult.

SH64
09-29-04, 02:26 AM
Those would be WC & C'nC . i usually dont like RTS games , but those are so great that i cant ignore or leave without finishing them .

NAZCA M12
09-29-04, 03:56 AM
Mafia. The difficulty of the game in general made me furious, i saw the infamous race more like a bonus really. VC as well, in the remote controlled helicopter mission (a crucial mission since it gives you access to the rest of the city). Broke two Dual shocks on that one. Still i returned to these games shortly after finishing them. Broadly speaking, i always have a spare keyboard when gaming on my PC. :D

saturnotaku
09-29-04, 10:59 AM
Another one that comes to mind - NFL Blitz. Did anyone play that on the PC? Wow, the computer was so incredibly cheap it wasn't even funny. There were some situations where when you were on defense, you simply could not stop the AI under any circumstance.

Vash will remember well the following bits - spins, spins, sprouts wings, flies away! :D

Vash
09-29-04, 12:12 PM
Another one that comes to mind - NFL Blitz. Did anyone play that on the PC? Wow, the computer was so incredibly cheap it wasn't even funny. There were some situations where when you were on defense, you simply could not stop the AI under any circumstance.

Vash will remember well the following bits - spins, spins, sprouts wings, flies away! :D

:rofl :rofl :rofl

I completely forgot about NFL Blitz! We had much more fun with that game than we should've. You should also include that retarded arcade style zombie shoot-'em-up you and John always played.

Oh yes, and any home version of DDR: fun game to play in the arcade. Not so much fun when playing on a vinyl pad on top of carpet, wearing socks...

jnd3
09-29-04, 12:26 PM
I love to hate Homeworld 2. I *loved* Homeworld, but I find the difficulty in the sequel to be outright insane. I want to like this game, which is probably why I've started it (but never finished it) on five or six different occasions.

jbirney
09-29-04, 12:52 PM
I know I'm wierd like this but Jedi Outcast was a game like that for me. There were some areas that had puzzles for which I swear I could not figure it out. But the game was good enough that after raising the white flag and opening up the walkthrough I continued on anyway. I didn't beat Desann with the help of the guide at least. :)

OMG And I thought I was the only one that felt this way.... Could not have said it better myself. Thanks!!

saturnotaku
09-29-04, 01:47 PM
You should also include that retarded arcade style zombie shoot-'em-up you and John always played.

House of the Dead? That game was fantastic. :lol:

zoomy942
09-29-04, 01:52 PM
i would have to say Doom 3. never have i looked forward to a game before but man what a letdown. but i cant stop playing cause of Ultra shadow II and how cool the game looks. House of the dea was AWESOME! Alone in the Dark: The new nightmare created hate but i kept playing it. the original super mario bros. on NES was one of those love-hate games too.