PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2's Multiplayer Mode Is...

Pages : [1] 2

AthlonXP1800
09-29-04, 05:54 AM
Counter-Strike: Source (http://pc.ign.com/articles/552/552122p1.html?fromint=1) :wtf: :fu: :mad:

If that is true, then Half Life 2 will have no multiplayer like the original game multiplayer I loved and played often, the CTF and deathmatch games in Half Life and Opposing Force are much more fun than in Counter-Strike being very boring game.

When I will hear more official details about the multiplayer mode in Half Life 2 based on ign.com are confirmed, then I will consider cancelling my pre-order. The reason I pre-order it because I wanted to have the game CD-Key to play multiplayer games on Half Life 2 like the original Half Life multiplayer, not Counter-Strike: Source. :rolleyes:

If Half Life 2 multiplayer killed, who do we blame? Gabe, the half truth teller or game sponser ATI or both? :|

demonized
09-29-04, 06:16 AM
so you pre-ordered it just to be able to play online? arent you interested in the single player experience? im sure most people who pre-ordered are excited on just playing the game and not so they could start fragging people online.

AthlonXP1800
09-29-04, 06:34 AM
Of course I will play single player but it will last around 60 hours, with original multiplayer, it lhave 1 hour fun every day on deathmatch or CTF with so many different maps to explore. No Half Life 2 multiplayer is a no go! I think Half Life 2 will not sell as good as original Half Life, the real reason Half Life is still the most successful and still selling today because it have multiplayer and mods that have much fun maps to fragging.

Gaco
09-29-04, 09:50 AM
I dont believe it that they will not include it, at least soon after release, but I guess we'll wait and see...

Btw, read the intervew with Chuck Osborn from PC Gamer on www.halflife2.net

Here's some lines from the interview:

"Icarus: Was Half-Life 2 what you expected?
Chuck Osborn: More

Icarus: Was it worth the wait?
Chuck Osborn: Absolutely

Icarus: How long is the review?
Chuck Osborn: Nine pages, plus we have a four page story telling you what you need to know about running Half-Life 2 on your system.

Icarus: Anything you want to say the users before I go?
Chuck Osborn: I'm just glad I don't have to keep my playing Half-Life 2 a secret anymore! It was killing me. Trust me...you won't be disappointed."

Its gonna be great :D

Edge
09-29-04, 10:18 AM
Umm, the original multiplayer in Half-life sucked. Just basic deathmatch with Half-life weapons, it was no better than Quake in it's execution (though some of the levels were pretty fun). CTF, Assault, and all those other cool game modes were only added in TFC and later an addon in Opposing Force allowed you to play CTF in that. Otherwise there wasn't much interesting about the multiplayer, but 90% of your time is going to be spent playing mods anyway. The only thing that might slightly worry me is that there probably won't be as many Deathmatch modifiers since deathmatch isn't actually built into the game, but making a mod for just straight up HL2 deathmatch is probably going to be extremely easy (make map, add spawn locations for weapons, and voila). In fact, it wouldn't suprise me if Valve themselves come out with a "Deathmatch Classic" mod for HL2 that will add basic deathmatch to the game (much like the Quake modifier they released for the original Half-life).

And BTW, why are you complaining about HL2 "not having multiplayer"? Last I checked, Counter-Strike IS multiplayer.

jAkUp
09-29-04, 10:29 AM
I like Source :) One of my favorite multiplayer games... its the community that sucks. Hopefully all the 9 year olds can't play on their geforce2mx's

|JuiceZ|
09-29-04, 11:17 AM
One of my favorite multiplayer games... its the community that sucks. Hopefully all the 9 year olds can't play on their geforce2mx's

Exactly. I actually enjoy playing CS but only on source. The community is has entirely too many immature, annoying, kiddes though that keeps me a way a majority of the time.

aAv7
09-29-04, 11:36 AM
I just want to play HL2...I could careless about HL1 source, CS Source, online modes, etc. Just give me the main course! =)

Mr. Hunt
09-29-04, 12:38 PM
Well... this is the worst thing ever. I thought they were saying there was going to be some revolutionary multiplayer... now we get a crappy counter strike with the same crappy graphics and a few new things.

I was hoping for some good multiplayer... but now I know it will suck.

BioHazZarD
09-29-04, 12:58 PM
Im buying this game for SP only, i never thought mp will be something nice anyway.

jbirney
09-29-04, 01:59 PM
Well... this is the worst thing ever. I thought they were saying there was going to be some revolutionary multiplayer... now we get a crappy counter strike with the same crappy graphics and a few new things.

I comptely understand that you (and AthlonXP1800) feel this way. However about 65,000 people disagree with you at every moment as if you ever the gamespy stats or other you will see that after 3 years CS is STILL the number one game played on-line.

Look at the facts, while HL was a great game, its Counter Strike that has keep the game alive for the last few years.

Besides I think that valve will add on standard DM a bit later...well according to rumor that is...

superklye
09-29-04, 02:13 PM
Im buying this game for SP only, i never thought mp will be something nice anyway.

same here.

stncttr908
09-29-04, 02:38 PM
I dont believe it that they will not include it, at lea$t $oon after relea$e, but I gue$$ we'll wait and $ee...

Btw, read the intervew with Chuck O$born from PC Gamer on www.halflife2.net

Here'$ $ome line$ from the interview:

"Icaru$: Wa$ Half-Life 2 what you expected?
Chuck O$born: More

Icaru$: Wa$ it worth the wait?
Chuck O$born: Ab$olutely

Icaru$: How long i$ the review?
Chuck O$born: Nine page$, plu$ we have a four page $tory telling you what you need to know about running Half-Life 2 on your $y$tem.

Icaru$: Anything you want to $ay the u$er$ before I go?
Chuck O$born: I'm ju$t glad I don't have to keep my playing Half-Life 2 a $ecret anymore! It wa$ killing me. Tru$t me...you won't be di$appointed."

It$ gonna be great :DJust kidding, I'm sure it will rule. :)

Edge
09-29-04, 02:41 PM
Actually, has there EVER been a FPS that's released with a decent multiplayer mode? Lets review the multiplayer modes for these games...

Quake 1: basic deathmatch, pretty much like Doom except without the coop.
Quake 2: same as Quake 1.
Quake 3: a glorified deathmatch mode and very basic CTF? It took them how many years to make this multiplayer-oriented game?
Unreal 1: same as Quake 1, though did this one have coop out of the box or not?
Unreal Tournament: Wow, this one actually brought some new stuff to the table! This counts as a win (though single-player was crap).
Half-life: basic deathmatch, though the levels were decent.
Halo: Multiplayer is fun (especially with vehicles), but the low player limit and lack of coop in the PC version kinda hurts. And the netcode and performance in the release version was disapointing.
Doom 3: same as Quake 1...but with shadows and a broken server browser.
Farcry: Ugh, netcode that makes Quake 1 look good (and it even requires broadband!).
Unreal 2: very fun multiplayer mode with some interesting features...too bad the game was single-player only for a full year.

Thank god for mods, I don't think any of these games really would've taken off online were it not for the addons that were released later on. And you just KNOW there's going to be like a dozen HL2 mods released within a month of when it comes out. Personally I'm hoping for a NS-like mod for HL2, that alone would make it worth the purchase price for me.

Seoulstriker
09-29-04, 02:42 PM
Actually, has there EVER been a FPS that's released with a decent multiplayer mode? Lets review the multiplayer modes for these games...

Quake 1: basic deathmatch, pretty much like Doom except without the coop.
Quake 2: same as Quake 1.
Quake 3: a glorified deathmatch mode and very basic CTF? It took them how many years to make this multiplayer-oriented game?

Thank god for mods, I don't think any of these games really would've taken off online were it not for the addons that were released later on. And you just KNOW there's going to be like a dozen HL2 mods released within a month of when it comes out. Personally I'm hoping for a NS-like mod for HL2, that alone would make it worth the purchase price for me.

Quake 1 and Quake 2 both had COOP and team deathmatch.

Edge
09-29-04, 02:44 PM
Did they? That's cool...wonder why we never played that at LANs so many years ago, was coop in the release version or was that added later in a patch? Oh, and I don't consider team deathmatch to be anything special, I mean, it's still just deathmatch (but with differently colored characters :) )

Zeta
09-29-04, 03:36 PM
(welcome) Actually were is the welcome to last year? This is very old news.

AthlonXP1800
09-29-04, 10:06 PM
I dont believe it that they will not include it, at least soon after release, but I guess we'll wait and see...

Btw, read the intervew with Chuck Osborn from PC Gamer on www.halflife2.net

Here's some lines from the interview:

"Icarus: Was Half-Life 2 what you expected?
Chuck Osborn: More

Icarus: Was it worth the wait?
Chuck Osborn: Absolutely

Icarus: How long is the review?
Chuck Osborn: Nine pages, plus we have a four page story telling you what you need to know about running Half-Life 2 on your system.

Icarus: Anything you want to say the users before I go?
Chuck Osborn: I'm just glad I don't have to keep my playing Half-Life 2 a secret anymore! It was killing me. Trust me...you won't be disappointed."

Its gonna be great :D

Hmmm no wonder you didnt added 2 important questions in the interview...

Icarus: Does it have multiplayer, if so what are they?
Chuck Osborn: Counter-Strike Source is the multiplayer.

Icarus: Only CS:S, no Deathmatch?
Chuck Osborn: Only CS:S

AthlonXP1800
09-29-04, 10:20 PM
And BTW, why are you complaining about HL2 "not having multiplayer"? Last I checked, Counter-Strike IS multiplayer.

Cos Half Life 2 is not Counter-Strike, it different multiplayer game. I find Counter-Strike like a racing game, everytime I tried it, at start, I running with pistol to find terrorists and find nobody, they are somewhere, 30 secs later the bomb was planted and detonated, all of a suddenly I am back to the start and doing all over again for nothing, what a very boring and not fun game to play. :rolleyes: I prefered C&C: Renegade over Counter-Strike because it fun game.

WeReWoLf
09-29-04, 11:22 PM
Counterstrike has never interested me because of the fact that you a: have to buy your weapons everytime, b: have a minimal amount of opposition to kill, c: DAMN THAT BUNNYHOPPING!!!

Hajile
09-30-04, 05:15 PM
I don't see the problem. I'm sure someone will develop a multiplayer HL2 eventually.

It's more economical if the developers were to think this way:

"What bother with the multiplayer which 99% will probably complain about, when we already have a mod community that will make one for us for FREE!"

Mr. Hunt
09-30-04, 10:07 PM
Just because it is popular doesn't mean anything. Titanic may have made over 1 billion dollars doesn't make it the best movie ever (or good at all for that matter :\).

I was hoping for some regular HL style deathmatch with some cool stuff with the gravity gun. Now I get CS which I can already play for free with some water and reflections that look way out of place with the low poly/low detail environments.

GlowStick
09-30-04, 10:12 PM
quake 2 CTF was the most fun i ever had in a FPS.

de><ta
09-30-04, 10:15 PM
Thinking outside of the shell here....

If HL2 extensively supports mods (ie. the Modding community), then surely if there is a significant need for it some one will make a HL2 multiplayer mod.

/goes back to programming the PAL chip (mag)

Nv40
10-01-04, 05:21 AM

i was thinking in the same line... the way i understood this ,CS source is a copy/paste of the original game with better graphics and maybe a few more things . and while the action is intense , never liked the buy weapon thing in a counter terrorist game. i was mostly interested in Hl2 Mp capabilities (since already was spoiled by the singleplayer beta) wich a mp was looking more promising than the original mp in Hl1. thanks to the physics engine and the Gravity gun. MP capabilities that just recently discovered doesnt exist. :lame:

means that we will need to depend from the MOd community to finish the game where they left it . just like with Doom3.:( its incredible that a game took soo much time ~6 years and it doesnt even ship with its own Mp . :retard:

I don't see the problem. I'm sure someone will develop a multiplayer HL2 eventually.

It's more economical if the developers were to think this way:

"What bother with the multiplayer which 99% will probably complain about, when we already have a mod community that will make one for us for FREE!"

because Counterstrike plays completely diferent than Hl. its not HL ,but a mod conversion of a counterterrorist game. so the same concept will be in Hl2. but yes , someone will do a mod for it ,but it will be better if the main developers already inlude it in their game. their skills and resources are greater.