PDA

View Full Version : HL2 review, 96% in PCG UK

Pages : [1] 2 3

DMA
09-30-04, 09:06 AM
No scans and no new info (yet) though, just the score. :o
halflife2.net (http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40173&page=1&pp=15)

Hopefully more to follow later today. :)

vampireuk
09-30-04, 10:07 AM
96%

Wonder how much they paid for that score :p

Ninjaman09
09-30-04, 11:17 AM
They gave Doom 3 a 94% and you guys all hated it.

Fatman
09-30-04, 11:33 AM
Problem with doom was that on the surface its great, and it's not a horrible game. But once you sink your teeth into it, play it through once... it's done. Yet another dust magnet.

zoomy942
09-30-04, 11:36 AM
i sure hope the 94% isnt how doom 3 was. i would like a game that really is a 96%.

Ninjaman09
09-30-04, 11:41 AM
Oh I'm not here to argue Doom 3's merits. PC Gamer is notorious for writing gushing reviews, especially for big titles like this. Then again, I usually agree with them, but in my experience with most people there's quite a lot of room for debate (Warcraft III for example, which I love, but almost all my friends hate - mostly because they suck at it).

karkrash81
09-30-04, 12:02 PM
i for one, thought doom 3 was excellent all around...

i'm sure half life 2 will be excellent as well..

i like em both...

Vash
09-30-04, 12:15 PM
The question in my mind isn't if it'll be worth the $50 - it will almost certainly be worth that. Doom 3 was worth the money, IMO, and the mods that will eventually happen for it will also be worth it. The question is whether or not Half-Life 2 is going to be the second coming of Half-Life, which is arguably one of the games that I have spent the most time playing over the years.

BioHazZarD
09-30-04, 12:24 PM
HL2 will be boring too once you beat it.

nin_fragile14
09-30-04, 12:43 PM
They gave Quake 3 a 75% when it came out. I think their opinions are still valid.

Vash
09-30-04, 01:02 PM
HL2 will be boring too once you beat it.

Eh, maybe. Did you think Half-Life was boring once you beat it?

jbirney
09-30-04, 01:29 PM
I think for big games like D3/HL the base score is 9 and the real score is the ones digit :) (a user on B3D said that...and I liked it)

jAkUp
09-30-04, 02:19 PM
Half-Life 2

Release date - Nov. 23 (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56770)

New Screenshots-
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/data/screenshot/screenshot_archive_aid.php?id=109992

Reviews-
PC Gamer US
98%

Doom 3 got - 94%
FarCry got - 95%
Half-Life 1 got - 96%

*** Removed per PC Gamer's request *** -Clay

PC Gamer UK
96%

Doom 3 got - 90%
FarCry got - 91%
Half-Life 1 got - 96%

*** Removed per PC Gamer's request *** -Clay

PC Zone
97%

Play it, enjoy it, savour it. Games may never get this good again.
Doom 3 got - 90%
Fact- PC Zone's highest score ever, tied with Quake 2.

PC Format
96%

Click for review text (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=439246&postcount=45)

PCGAMEPLAY NL
90%

Doom 3 got - 86%
FarCry got - 93%
Half-Life 1 got - 95%

They first start lamenting the fact that HL2 does not have a "proper" HL2 MP deathmach. They would have liked to play MP games within the HL2 world...

That is the "bad" part about the game.

So what's good, you ask?

Well everything else really. Read on.

(start of minor spoiler)

It seems that Gordon is working for G-man, but is teaming up with the Allience. Dr Breem seems to be a former collegue of Gordon from Black Mesa. He has teamed up with Xen aliens and is now controlling the world in nazi-fashion.

(end of minor spoiler)

HL2 is THE next gen FPShooter. Believe the hype! The BINK videos have functioned as a distracting mechanism, since the actual game seems to, on occasions, differ from the content showed in the BINKS.

The strongest attribute of the game seems to be the ingenious use of technology (Source) within the leveldesign. They praise VALVE for its genious. The puzzles are very intelligently devised. BUT,
it seems that no matter how big the levels are, and there a 15 of them in the game, they are all fairly linear in nature. There is a start and there is an end. The gameplay is not as openended as, say, FAR CRY.

City 17 = total war

Ravenholm = gore fest, fear and tension (reminiscing DOOM 3 in ambience)

The hovercraft level is extremely impressive and fun and warrants a separate game!

There are headcrabs, headhunters (venom has a paralysing effect?), zombiedogs (which are fast mofos), zombies (which are very impertinent it seems).

And then there are the combine. They will try to intelligently ambush by surrounding you, always taking cover when possible, they will flush you out when necessary (a la HL 1). The enemy AI is thus great. And opposing the combine is the Alliance with which you do battle, against the combine. You can "summon" up to 4 allies (with "v") , that will follow and do battle along with you (You can summon the because Gordon seems to have a Messianic reputation among the Allies). Sometimes they tend to get in your line of fire, temporarily obstructing your offence, but they seem to be able to reposition themselves once this occurs, thank Valve (so no Daikatana flaws here). They will also run for cover if overwhelm (sometimes they will even run away, which is considered to be another downer by PC GAMEPLAY).

Many impressive enemies (awe inspiring) like tanks, gunships, dropships(!) and of course the Striders...(which ARE destructible!). All guns from HL1 seem to have returned, plus the pheropods and the GRAVITY GUN: a pulse rifle with a "thermal grenade" as secondary fire! You can now use (tripod)turrets for your own purposes too...

All gunfights are intense. And playing on HARD is a real challenge.They finished the game in 19 hours on NORMAL. But they didn't want it to end so they will play it again. There is definitely a replay value! They want HL3!!!!

Gameplay 55/60
Graphics 18/20
Sound 17/20

SCORE 90%

P.S.: There is no mention whatsoever of Half-life: Source, which is a pity really.

A few observations of my own:

(start of potential spoilers)

-D.O.G is able to pick up cars and has an anthropomorphic anatomy (and is big)!

-Sometime down the line Both Eli and Alyx seem to get kidnapped by Dr. Breem.

S.I.N
09-30-04, 03:13 PM
They also released benchmarks with a promise of a demo and no damn game a year to this date. They need to release the bloody game which was due "summer".

DMA
09-30-04, 03:28 PM
Nice, jAkUp saves the day. :bounce:
I haven't had the time to look through that monster thread for a while. :)

GlowStick
09-30-04, 03:38 PM
Cant wait for the release, i have all preloads : )

Edge
09-30-04, 03:42 PM
Hmm, so it sounds like the generic corridors and screwy ending are the main bad things about the game? I can live with that, since what I've played...I mean...seen...seemed to mainly take place in outdoor and large environments.

SlamDunk
09-30-04, 03:51 PM
After finishing the mediocrity that is DOOM 3 and then remembering the 94% score it got made me laugh. So, I don't trust this review at all... but I do have much more hope that HL2 will NOT disappoint. HL1 was and still is a masterpiece ...

Xav
09-30-04, 04:07 PM
Eh, maybe. Did you think Half-Life was boring once you beat it?

Hehe as far as replay value..nope I didn't care to play it again and I thought the multiplayer was horrid. I liked the SP game alot but I was one of those wierd folks that enjoyed Unreal1 more.

I also absolutely loved Doom3. Corridors don't bother me. =)

|JuiceZ|
09-30-04, 04:43 PM
I liked the SP game alot but I was one of those wierd folks that enjoyed Unreal1 more.

You're not the only wierd one. Fighting aliens through ruins on an unknown planet was much more immersive for me than through mostly industrial warehouses :cool:

Edge
09-30-04, 05:07 PM
Oh yeah baby, oh yeah, that's what I like to see. Babe following you, troop commanding, D.O.G.G....:drooling:

This game better come out soon! No...wait...I hope it comes out later so I get some time in with KuF and Halo 2 first! But no...I NEED this game NOW...must have...gah, brain exploding.

bmg
09-30-04, 05:12 PM
Hmm, so it sounds like the generic corridors and screwy ending are the main bad things about the game? I can live with that, since what I've played...I mean...seen...seemed to mainly take place in outdoor and large environments.
I believe what the review was saying was that it's NOT just endless corridors and NOT the end of the the Half Life story.

JayrodTremonki
09-30-04, 05:34 PM
Am I the only one who's just tired of this game and wouldn't care if it EVER came out at this point? This is from someone who's spent countless hours playing HL and CS. Not meaning to just flame the game, that I obviously haven't played, but I'm wondering if I'm alone on this =\

Edge
09-30-04, 05:36 PM
I believe what the review was saying was that it's NOT just endless corridors and NOT the end of the the Half Life story.

I was wondering about that, they have a real wierd wording for the whole "it is, it's not" thing. I thought it was just their version of pros and cons, since that's how almost every other magazine does it (and isn't that how PCgamer used to do it, too?).

I am wondering how the game ends, people that read the leaked script for it said it had a suprise ending. I won't mind another Half-life game in about 5 years. Hmm, a 5 year sequel cycle...I could live with that.

Seoulstriker
09-30-04, 05:49 PM
II am wondering how the game ends, people that read the leaked script for it said it had a suprise ending. I won't mind another Half-life game in about 5 years. Hmm, a 5 year sequel cycle...I could live with that.

*** SPOILER WARNING ***

It turns out that Combine is a code word for Gabe Newell, and he eats the world and still has room left for boxes of twinkies (RIP) every other hour.