PDA

View Full Version : Quake Iv?

Eltigre88
09-30-04, 03:00 PM
I have the PC gamer mag but have not had a chance to look at it. So is Quake 4 going to rock or what?

aAv7
09-30-04, 03:05 PM
Looks ok...but you cant judge a game by pics...hopefully it will be as fun as Quake 2....it takes places hours after q2's story.

S.I.N
09-30-04, 03:07 PM
Yes, many here have went into the future and played it but where under NDA. :angel2:

Eltigre88
10-02-04, 11:04 AM
Yes, many here have went into the future and played it but where under NDA. :angel2:

Smartass! I was just curious as to what people have read.

jAkUp
10-02-04, 11:05 AM
Looked very similar to doom3... dark etc. :)

|MaguS|
10-02-04, 11:20 AM
Hopefully it wont be just a mod for Doom 3 and actually have lights and play like Quake...

Woodelf
10-02-04, 03:53 PM
They claim that it will be more of an action game instead of horror/action like doom 3. It's definately going to be a hot game, but more like quake 2 than 3 since it's singleplayer (+ multiplayer).

Doom_Machine
10-03-04, 04:27 PM
since doom3 sucked as far as most boring level design then no way this game could be worse, i just hope the ally team A.I. is smarter than my toaster oven, i'm intersted to see how large and detailed of outdoor enviro's the engine is really capable of

does anyone know where or what the doom3 engine specs are compared to x-ray and crytek?

Intel17
10-03-04, 08:22 PM
since doom3 sucked as far as most boring level design then no way this game could be worse, i just hope the ally team A.I. is smarter than my toaster oven, i'm intersted to see how large and detailed of outdoor enviro's the engine is really capable of

does anyone know where or what the doom3 engine specs are compared to x-ray and crytek?

The Engine blows away cryengine and X-ray.

theultimo
10-03-04, 08:25 PM
PC Gamer preview looks like it will be a Q2 killer....

And multi like QIII :)

But the pictures i've seen, its not a majorly "dark" game like D3. More run + gunish.

|MaguS|
10-03-04, 09:40 PM
The Engine blows away cryengine and X-ray.

I don't think it does, The Doom 3 engine just looks like an advance form of Quake 3 with better Texture and Lighting. It really doesn't look like it has much for features. Unless it takes advantage of OpenGL 2.0 and uses some of its features its far behind the new Direct 9x engines.

Seoulstriker
10-03-04, 09:50 PM
I don't think it does, The Doom 3 engine just looks like an advance form of Quake 3 with better Texture and Lighting. It really doesn't look like it has much for features. Unless it takes advantage of OpenGL 2.0 and uses some of its features its far behind the new Direct 9x engines.

Unified lighting and shadowing? :drooling:

Banko
10-03-04, 10:35 PM
The X-ray DX9 render actually will have unified lightning just watch some of the DX9 indoor demos.

aAv7
10-03-04, 10:57 PM
I too felt the doom 3 engine looked like an upgraded quake 3 engine with betters tex and lights. Regardless..it's still puuuurty. Anyways...Quake 4 looks alright...seems to look exactly like doom 3 in style...which for me is kinda meeeeh, cause I want diversity...quake 4's wall's seem to have high quality textures tho =)

Subtestube
10-03-04, 11:30 PM
"The X-ray DX9 render actually will have unified lightning just watch some of the DX9 indoor demos."

I actually don't know anything about the X-ray engine, but if you need DX9 level shaders to do unified light and shadow, you aren't as cool as the D3 engine, which can do it on anything with a stencil buffer. That's not to say that the D3 engine is actually superior to the X-ray engine - for all I know it's not. It's just that if you do need DX9 level effects to pull off your lighting scheme, your engine probably isn't as versatile as the Doom 3 one. As I say - for all I know the X-ray engine doesn't need DX9 to actually do the lighting, I'm just basing it on your post.

Subtestube
10-04-04, 02:17 AM
The Unreal 3 engine is something we won't see until 2006 in as far as I know. Therefore, it's kind of irrelevant, right? By then all of these engines will be getting to the 'serious modification' stage (Q3 -> CoD anyone?), and may be beginning to reach replacement as 'current' engines. Again, this kind of thing is hard to forsee, but it's a pretty weird direct comparison - D3 vs U3? Nah.... they're too different.

dante_uk
10-04-04, 10:07 AM
Actually Doom3 can't support DX9 since it's OpenGL. That doesn't mean it can't run cg or hlsl programs using PS1.1/1.4/2.0 etc. I believe the heathaze is a PS2 shader.
Some of the mods in development will feature all new shaders for water and stargate effects. It seem very easy to create your own matrials and add pixel shaders to them.

Unified lighting is the future I think. Anything with out it now looks dated. The 'new' HL2 screenshots would have looked good a year and half ago, but now they look like q2 with higher res textures and few shaders for water and that magnifing glass.

Subtestube
10-04-04, 05:04 PM
Yes, well, I think when people refer to D3 as a DX9 capable engine, they're actually referring to PS/VS 2.0. I could be wrong of course...

Edit: On second thoughts, when did anyone say that D3 DID use DX9? I certainly didn't, though I did refer to DX 9 LEVEL shaders. Even then, I was talking about the X-Ray engine - the whole point of my post was that you don't need high level shaders to do unified lighting - as D3 showed. All you really need is a high rate of culling and a stencil buffer.

WeReWoLf
10-04-04, 07:46 PM
Quake IV is somwhere between run & gun and tactical shooter. At some points you go off by yourself to tackle some majorly supersized monsters, and other points you and your squad are attacked by walking tanks. I'll have to see if i can scan the PC Powerplay preview of it for u guys to read.

Subtestube
10-04-04, 08:04 PM
Oooh... Aussie PC Powerplay? Wicked... I can go buy that when it gets to NZ.

Doom_Machine
10-04-04, 10:16 PM
found some engine specs which seem quite intersting, not sure as to say that either decidedly shows it to be better than the other but i think in the end its more about how the game is designed, i'm just curious if its possible for doom3 engine to recreate farcry and what would it look like, but i bet unreal 3 engine kicks all thier butts from what ive seen of it but doubt its release for another couple of years anyway. also whats with id and all thier stalky or fat characters seems like thats all thier engines can create

http://www.crytek.de/technology/index.php?sx=cryengine

http://www.stalker-game.com/index.php?t=engine&rnd=6393