PDA

View Full Version : Quick, Need Some Advice!!!

YOGIx213
09-30-04, 07:19 PM
I'm going to purchase some new RAM for my P4 2.8 HT this weekend. I want to overclock my CPU from 2.8 to 3.2 (or 3.4ghz) but don't know much about RAM. I've been using my old pc2700 from an older computer and it just doesn't cut it for me. Anyway, I've been checking online and have come up with these three:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-136&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-950&depa=1

http://www.komusa.com/1gbkit5pc46d.html

The third link is to a generic RAM site but uses Samsung chips. The company has great reviews so I was considering buying from them for such a great deal.

Anyway, based on my specs in my sig, can any of you do me a BIG favor and look at these links and pick out the best RAM suited to overclock my CPU from 2.8 to 3.2 or above?

Thanks A Lot! :)

edit: Also, after picking which one you think is best, can you also tell me how I should have that particular RAM set up in my BIOS (timings, etc.) I'm a total newb when it comes to overclocking RAM or my CPU.

Thanks Again!

Riptide
09-30-04, 07:32 PM
Are you on any particular budget? Of the three I like the second stuff the best but you might consider some other options if you can afford them.

YOGIx213
09-30-04, 07:35 PM
Well, I want to keep the price down to less than 220.00 total (including shipping) because my girlfriend's birthday is coming up (lol, that gold-digger!). Anyway, if you have other suggestions, I'd appreciate it. That will also give me something to compare when I'm doing more research.

Riptide
09-30-04, 07:39 PM
Here's an idea. Get some $300 memory, wrap it up and give it to her. It'll be like giving her a bowling ball - you'll get it back in the end. :D ;)

Seriously though, I guess that OCZ PC3500 isn't to bad. You can maybe overclock it a bit past PC3500 speeds anyway.

YOGIx213
09-30-04, 07:43 PM
Here's an idea. Get some $300 memory, wrap it up and give it to her. It'll be like giving her a bowling ball - you'll get it back in the end. :D ;)

Seriously though, I guess that OCZ PC3500 isn't to bad. You can maybe overclock it a bit past PC3500 speeds anyway.

LOL, that will NOT FLY with her! I'll get it back alright, snapped in half and thrown in my face!

If I do get the OCZ PC3500, how high would I be able to overclock my P4 2.8? Would I be able to reach 3.4 ghz stable? Also, how should I set the timings in the BIOS. I rea somewhere else here about dividers, ratios, etc. All of that is new to me and just flew right over my head.

Thanks for the responses Riptide!

Riptide
09-30-04, 07:54 PM
TBH I've never overclocked a Pentium 4 so someone else here like jAkUp might be better to answer this stuff. But I'll take a shot I 'spose. :)

For starters you should run everything at stock speeds for, IMO, at least a couple weeks. This allows you to get everything setup and make sure there are no other problems that could complicate your OCing project. Also, make sure you backup your files before you start trying to OC as you can, under certain circumstances, corrupt files on your disc drive.

You'll want to check your manual on where to go to in the BIOS to adjust the timings for the RAM. If you are confused as to what each timing corresponds to I suggest looking at this:
http://www.mushkin.com/mushkin/pop-up/latencies.htm
There are other guides out there on the net, google is your friend. I suggest doing a search for "RAM timings".

Whether or not you'll reach 3.4ghz stable can't be said for certain. The P4 seems to be a good overclocker though so odds are in your favor. Just be careful and search around for some overclocking guides that can take you through the process. I hope you have some patience though, testing stability takes *hours*.

Edit: another link for you.
http://home.earthlink.net/~deeppow/OC_Guide/Guide_to_Overclocking.htm
And another:
http://www.deep-powder.net/OC_Guide/Mem_Mobo_CPU_Overclocking_Guide.htm

YOGIx213
09-30-04, 08:00 PM
Thanks Riptide, I'll check those links right now. I'll also hit up Jakup for some P4 advice.

jAkUp
09-30-04, 08:21 PM
By default your FSB is set to 200mhz since you have an HT chip. Pentium 4's are quad pumped so you always multiply the FSB by 4. (200mhz x4= 800mhzFSB)
If you run your ram at a 1:1 ratio, it will run at whatever you set your FSB to x2. (Double Data Ram) I would always recommend running at a 1:1 ratio. (200Mhz=400Mhz Ram)

So... if you run a FSB 230MHZ, that would rate your 2.8 CPU at 3.22GHZ. That would mean that your memory will run at 460mhz. (230Mhz x2) The OCZ's in that link are rated at 433mhz. I would probably recommend the Samsung chips, since they are rated for 466MHZ. The hyperX are supposed to be good as well... but I had them and mine didn't overclock good at all. They wouldn't even run at their rated speed. I dunno which chips mine had however.

Keep in mind, OCZ's are VERY high quality ram, and most of the time can overclock much past what they are rated for... but I dunno if you want to push it.

For timings that memory says its rated for a CL Latency of 2.5. So I would try going 2.5,3,3,6 first. I'm sure it will be able to do that :)

YOGIx213
09-30-04, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the reply Jakup, I was reading the links posted by Riptide and they really were helpful in giving me a crash course on RAM. Also, I was looking at your sig and it's all starting to make some sense to me (duh). You have your RAM at 490, which means your FSB is at 245, (x4) hence the 980 FSB. If I get the DDR 466, at 1:1, I'd get 233 FSB. 1:1 ratio always runs the smoothest, right? I mean it makes sense to me but I hear of people with 3:2, etc.

I want to get my 2.8 to 3.4 so to get the RAM synched with a 240 FSB, how much should I lower the latency in the OCZ PC3500 (originally 2.5-3-3-7) or the Samsung PC3700 (originally says just 2.5 cas latency, I assume it is the same as the OCZ).

Riptide
09-30-04, 09:59 PM
I doubt the OCZ would hit 240, even @ 3-4-4-8. You never know though. It's rated for 216 (PC3500). So 240 might be kinda pushin' it...

YOGIx213
09-30-04, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I think I'm going to get some PC3700 or higher, maybe PC4000 to get 233 FSB or higher.

Either which way, thanks guys for all the help, all of this advice is really appreciated and very helpful.

Riptide
09-30-04, 11:03 PM
You're going to be spending over $220 if you want high quality PC3700/PC4000 IMO.

YOGIx213
09-30-04, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I guess my budget just went up. It's better to get it right the first time than to regret it later. Now my budget is up to 250.00 or a bit more, depending on the RAM.

YOGIx213
09-30-04, 11:23 PM
You're going to be spending over $220 if you want high quality PC3700/PC4000 IMO.

Hey Riptide, I might get this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-454&depa=1

If I do, that would mean my FSB would be 250, right? I want it to get to 240 instead because 250 gets too hot and I fear stability issues (1000 FSB sounds crazy to me), so how should I deal with the 3-4-4-8 stock timing?

Riptide
09-30-04, 11:30 PM
This RAM is rated for 250 at 3-4-4-8 timings. If you run it at a lower clock speed (like 240) you may not be able to lower the timings. Some PC4000 likes to run at the rated timings no matter what you do with the clock speed. I know mushkin is like that, not sure about this Corsair. It's just something to keep in mind. That's good memory though, IMO.

saturnotaku
10-01-04, 12:04 AM
One thing to bear in mind is even if you have extremely high quality RAM, it's still no guarantee that your CPU and the rest of your hardware will be up to the task of overclocking. Further, even if you have quality cooling, sometimes hardware is simply incapable of being overclocked even slightly. It's a risk you take.

Riptide
10-01-04, 12:33 AM
Cooling is something we hadn't even touched on I think. Make sure you don't use the stock cooler. Get some arcitic silver 5 and a zalman 7000cu. :)

nVestor
10-01-04, 01:16 AM
Stock cooling should be fine. I would recommend AS3 though on it instead of that thermal pad. I'm typically 45c under load and 38c without. Motherboard temp reads 28c, so depending on the case you are using and the amount of air moving out, the retail HSF should be just fine. :)

I'm currently at a 1:1 ratio using PC-3200 @ 3900 :) At a 5:4 ratio I can run the FSB the same but use timmings of 2.5-3-3-6 which changes my Bandwidth Efficiency from 64% to 80%. Seeing better results it appears running at 1:1 though.

YOGIx213
10-01-04, 03:56 AM
Well, I ended up ordering this one:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-843&depa=1

The price was alright compared to other sites but still kind of pricey for me. The only thing is that I have my PNY Ultra and keep getting this nagging in my head about my weak pc2700 RAM holding me back. Now, I'll have more piece of mind (hopefully).

I mainly chose this because I'm going to overclock my CPU's FSB to 233mhz, making the 2.8 into a 3.2. I'm taking Jakup's advice of keeping it 1:1 and the OCZ's timings are pretty tight as well. Riptide, your links really helped me understand some of the nuances of overclocking RAM. Thanks to all of you for the help. After I install the ram, I'll llet you all know how it went.

Riptide
10-01-04, 09:13 AM
Good choice Yogi, and that memory might overclock up to PC4000 levels if you relax the timings. It should be pretty flexible.