PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia forceware registry problem

fuelrod
10-01-04, 12:06 AM
The last few times I've upgraded my video drivers I have had a weird problem with the registry. Before I update the drivers I uninstall the old ones through the "add/remove" programs option in the control panel.

When I go to install the new drivers they seem to install but upon reboot, XP still says no drivers have been installed. I've trace to the problem back to the registry in XP.

It seems when I install new drivers, the "Nvidia Corporation" registry entry is created with no permissions (right click on the Nvidia registry, choose permissions, and the "full control / read check boxes are not checked). What this does is when I try to install new drivers XP canít access the registry and the driver install fails. What I have to do is grant permissions to the "Nvidia Corporation" registry entry then install the drivers. The driver install then works but when it is complete it turns the permissions off again and I have the same problem the next time I upgrade my drivers.

Has anybody else had similar problems? It's really getting annoying.

rewt
10-01-04, 12:07 AM
Sounds like you may have applied a high security policy on the local machine. Check your settings in the Local Security Policy.

fuelrod
10-01-04, 12:22 AM
Sounds like you may have applied a high security policy on the local machine. Check your settings in the Local Security Policy.

Where is the Local Security Policy on XP? The only settings for high / medium / low that I know of are in the internet options.

rewt
10-01-04, 12:52 AM
Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy

BTW do you have XP Home, Corp, MCE or Pro?

fuelrod
10-01-04, 03:22 PM
Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy

BTW do you have XP Home, Corp, MCE or Pro?

I have XP Home and Local Security Policy doesn't show up in Administrative Tools.

rewt
10-01-04, 03:54 PM
Try installing the drivers in safe mode, using the Administrator account.

fuelrod
10-03-04, 02:37 PM
I gave up. I just formatted the drive and reinstalled windows. It had been about 9 month since my last format so it was about time anyway. Everything is working great now. Thanks for the advice.