PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering problems solved!

Pages : [1] 2 3

havox
10-01-04, 06:36 AM
Its been 6 mounth from jumping from setting to setting & visiting forum to another! I can finally say I solved my problem!!

the issue was with D3D only games, they stutter like a slide show! with high FPS:

solved it here look at the pic in riva tuner setting completly solved the issue & now my games are as smooth as silk including farcry!!
http://img197.exs.cx/img197/8356/rivablitfix6yy.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Sorry about that, previous hosts keep deleting the pic. I was asked this pic by a lot of people. hope this host is permanent:)

zakelwe
10-01-04, 07:49 AM
Its been 6 mounth from jumping from setting to setting & visiting forum to another! I can finally say I solved my problem!!

the issue was with D3D only games, they stutter like a slide show! with high FPS:

solved it here look at the pic in riva tuner setting completly solved the issue & now my games are as smooth as silk including farcry!!

http://www.monkeyfiles.net/iuploader/solvedprob.jpg

Thanks, I'll give this a go myself as mine still stutters in Far Cry.

Regards

Andy

myshkinbob
10-01-04, 12:46 PM
This works! top find havox, thanks! :)

Tested with richard burn's rally and far cry, this made a world of difference. Particularly in the former, where any kind of AA or AF made it stutter l-l-l-like crazy. Now at 1600x1200 4xAA 16xAF it's butter smooth.

Also i tested for the performance loss hinted at in the help for rivatuner if you enable those two options. Absolutely no performance impact on the 6800 series. Tested with aquamark3 and 3dmark05.

Moderators, this thread deserves a sticky!

Edit: i tested with driver 66.70 by the way.

-=DVS=-
10-01-04, 01:34 PM
Wow dude your right , that bigest discovery yet , not that it suttered mutch in my case , but right now it feel exceptionaly smooth :drooling: awesome job :thumbsup:

Lfctony
10-01-04, 02:01 PM
Whatever this thing is doing its working. I was playing DoW at 1024 no AA/AF and had severe stuttering. I just set it at 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF and the stuttering has disappeared. Very nice find. :)

oozish
10-01-04, 02:29 PM
hmm, I'm gonna try this too. Sounds great! Thanks. :)

Maybe I'll reinstall FC. ;) I have no d3d games at the moment, heh.

I want more info on what this blitting is all about. :

SH64
10-01-04, 06:33 PM
Hmmm this seems to be working for me too!!
FarCry stuttering is much less than before now & much more playable .. actually now i can say it run stable in my GT as it do in my X800 :)

also in CMR05 demo the stuttring is less than before .
(thats with internet connection & progs running in the background so without them it may get even better!)

stuttering is always a pain in the a$$ for me when playing games .

thanks Havox for the tip !! :thumbsup:

TheTaz
10-01-04, 10:56 PM
Is there a way to set these things without RivaTuner?

Like a direct registry entry?

I really don't want another app in my system tray.

Thanks,

Taz

EDIT: Some info on blitting (DirectX 7 stuff.. but probably still applies):

Blitting

The term blit is shorthand for "bit block transfer," which is the process of transferring blocks of data from one place in memory to another. Graphics programmers use blitting to transfer graphics from one place in memory to another. Blits are often used to perform sprite animation, which is discussed later.

For more information on blitting in DirectDraw, see Blitting to Surfaces.

----------

Blitting to Surfaces

This section is a guide to copying pixels from one DirectDraw surface to another, or from one part of a surface to another.

Two methods are available for copying images to a DirectDraw surface: IDirectDrawSurface7::Blt and IDirectDrawSurface7::BltFast. (A third method, IDirectDrawSurface7::BltBatch, is not implemented in this version of DirectX.) These methods are called on the destination surface and receive the source surface as a parameter. The destination and source surfaces can be one and the same, and you don't have to worry about overlapDirectDraw takes care to preserve all source pixels before overwriting them.

Of the two implemented methods, Blt is the more flexible and BltFast is the fasterbut only if there is no hardware blitter. You can determine the blitting capabilities of the hardware from the DDCAPS structure obtained in the lpDDDriverCaps parameter of the IDirectDraw7::GetCaps method. If the dwCaps member contains DDCAPS_BLT, the hardware has at least minimal blitting capabilities.

Cota
10-01-04, 11:13 PM
no need to have rivatuner in the systray

actually you can install rivatuner make the changes and uninstall if you want

BENCHMARKMAN
10-01-04, 11:20 PM
Is there a way to set these things without RivaTuner?

Like a direct registry entry?

I really don't want another app in my system tray.

Thanks,

Taz

EDIT: Some info on blitting (DirectX 7 stuff.. but probably still applies):

Blitting

The term blit is shorthand for "bit block transfer," which is the process of transferring blocks of data from one place in memory to another. Graphics programmers use blitting to transfer graphics from one place in memory to another. Blits are often used to perform sprite animation, which is discussed later.

For more information on blitting in DirectDraw, see Blitting to Surfaces.

----------

Blitting to Surfaces

This section is a guide to copying pixels from one DirectDraw surface to another, or from one part of a surface to another.

Two methods are available for copying images to a DirectDraw surface: IDirectDrawSurface7::Blt and IDirectDrawSurface7::BltFast. (A third method, IDirectDrawSurface7::BltBatch, is not implemented in this version of DirectX.) These methods are called on the destination surface and receive the source surface as a parameter. The destination and source surfaces can be one and the same, and you don't have to worry about overlapDirectDraw takes care to preserve all source pixels before overwriting them.

Of the two implemented methods, Blt is the more flexible and BltFast is the fasterbut only if there is no hardware blitter. You can determine the blitting capabilities of the hardware from the DDCAPS structure obtained in the lpDDDriverCaps parameter of the IDirectDraw7::GetCaps method. If the dwCaps member contains DDCAPS_BLT, the hardware has at least minimal blitting capabilities.

RivaTuner doesn't run in the background.

TheTaz
10-03-04, 09:01 PM
Yeah... I haven't used it in years... forgot.

Downloaded and set the blitting things. :)

Taz

oozish
10-03-04, 09:27 PM
It should be noted that if you DON'T have the problems don't do this, it is a performance penalty.

myshkinbob
10-03-04, 09:38 PM
It should be noted that if you DON'T have the problems don't do this, it is a performance penalty.

Funny because, if you read the thread, you'd see i tested and found no performance penalty, at least with the 6800, which is what this thread is a fix for. I presume the warning of a performance drop in rivatuner is from the earlier geforce days.

Actually, while i'm posting in this thread, i believe nvidia actually put this fix into the 66.81 driver. With 66.70 and blitting options off, far cry has those funny white flickers on the map loading screen, but with 66.70 and blitting option on, no flickers. Now with 66.81 and bltting options all unchecked in rivatuner, no white flickers on map loads in far cry. Also the games i used the blit fix for, no longer require it, they run smooth on driver defaults with 66.81.

therapture
10-03-04, 11:54 PM
I noticed no loss in speed, benching it might show a small difference but I guarantee you won't notice it in actual gameplay. The lack of stuttering is incredible...I play Far Cry online at 1280x1024 Very High details and 2x AA and 8x AF. Buttery smooooooooooooooth. :nanahump:

mezkal
10-04-04, 12:08 AM
Funny because, if you read the thread, you'd see i tested and found no performance penalty, at least with the 6800, which is what this thread is a fix for. I presume the warning of a performance drop in rivatuner is from the earlier geforce days.

Actually, while i'm posting in this thread, i believe nvidia actually put this fix into the 66.81 driver. With 66.70 and blitting options off, far cry has those funny white flickers on the map loading screen, but with 66.70 and blitting option on, no flickers. Now with 66.81 and bltting options all unchecked in rivatuner, no white flickers on map loads in far cry. Also the games i used the blit fix for, no longer require it, they run smooth on driver defaults with 66.81.

I'd have to agree. I've noticed the exact same results with my FX 5900XT and 66.81. I tested this thoroughly on Tribes : Vengeance MP Demo. Watching the main screen (with the Emperial and Bloody Phoenix guys dukin' it out above the clouds) using 65.76 and both blit options checked I get around 33fps @ 2048x768 (across dual 19"s) with them unchecked I get around 45fps but the frame rate varies wildly and the animations aren't smooth (talking about the IK and animation blends between actions). 66.81 and the blit options unchecked gives me around 33fps, same as 66.51 with both blit options checked in RT. Due to the fact that the same behaviour is demonstrated on my non 6800 based card I would have to agree, it certainly does look like a driver fix.

Cheers.

oozish
10-04-04, 08:47 AM

hmmm, ok then. I'll recheck them. I was just reading the help file. :)

ElderDruid
10-04-04, 04:45 PM

http://www.monkeyfiles.net/iuploader/solvedprob.jpg

I wonder if this will solve the problem I have with games stuttering when I try to play them from one of my SATA drives. I do not get stuttering when playing off the main IDE drive.

I always assumed this problem occurs because the AGP slot shares an IRQ with the SATA controller on my DFI LanParty NFII Ultra mobo.

havox
10-05-04, 03:51 PM
I wonder if this will solve the problem I have with games stuttering when I try to play them from one of my SATA drives. I do not get stuttering when playing off the main IDE drive.

I always assumed this problem occurs because the AGP slot shares an IRQ with the SATA controller on my DFI LanParty NFII Ultra mobo.

well, if your chipset,sata drivers were up to date try Assigning IRQ manually to Agp & SATA.

ElderDruid
10-05-04, 03:54 PM
well, if your chipset,sata drivers were up to date try Assigning IRQ manually to Agp & SATA.

Everything on my machine is up to date. I don't believe you can manually assign IRQ's unless you reinstall Windows without ACPI, which is probably something I should not do.

Actually, I tried the blit fix using RivaTuner, and that did seem to reduce the stuttering quite a bit. However, I'm sure it would be even less if DFI had not made the spectacular blunder of hard-wiring the same IRQ for the SATA and AGP controllers!

kasperisa
10-06-04, 11:49 PM
Whatever this thing is doing its working. I was playing DoW at 1024 no AA/AF and had severe stuttering. I just set it at 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF and the stuttering has disappeared. Very nice find. :)

wow.. I have a ti4600, p4 2.4, and 512 megs of ddr 266. DOW is butter smooth at 1024/768 with no AA or AF. (except for when there are like 120 guys battling at the same time.)

havox
10-07-04, 02:58 AM
Everything on my machine is up to date. I don't believe you can manually assign IRQ's unless you reinstall Windows without ACPI, which is probably something I should not do.

Actually, I tried the blit fix using RivaTuner, and that did seem to reduce the stuttering quite a bit. However, I'm sure it would be even less if DFI had not made the spectacular blunder of hard-wiring the same IRQ for the SATA and AGP controllers!

I guess it depends on your motherboard, mine does have the option to manually assign an IRQ.

try this if you don't have that kind of option, keep your PCI slots empty & reinstall windows on a separate drive or partition. Check if you still have the same conflict

|JuiceZ|
10-07-04, 10:33 AM
Nice find man, works great! :)

SsP45
10-07-04, 08:52 PM
Didn't help with my stuttering in CS:Source. :(

MaLk^
10-08-04, 08:00 AM
Just to be 100% sure, what kind of stuttering are we talking about?

Kan you give a detailed description?

SH64
10-08-04, 08:15 AM
Didn't help with my stuttering in CS:Source. :(

I have no stuttering in CS:S . using a 6800GT/61.77 .