PDA

View Full Version : some voltage questions

zoomy942
10-02-04, 04:23 AM
well, most people know by now that my awesome wife got me a new pc. well, i have never had a mobo that let me play with voltages.. and this one does. i can overclock very much as it is and have it be stble, but would upping the voltage of my mem or my cpu do the trick?

Riptide
10-02-04, 09:37 AM
You might be able to push it further if you increase vDIMM and/or vcore. Be careful with it though. :)

You don't want to turn that nice little gift she got you into a pile of smoking ruin. :D

zoomy942
10-04-04, 07:09 AM
sine my athlon is a 2800+, is the 3000+ a little hgher voltage? has anyone had any experiance with that proc? and what about this ram..

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-440&depa=0&manufactory=BROWSE

any luck with a little bit higher voltage?

Bill The Cat
10-04-04, 10:05 PM
I believe all Newcastles run at 1.5 Volts, even the 3800+. I would assume that the 2800+ would overclock better than the 3000+, as it was built on the same process at a lower stepping, but as I don't have any hands on experience with it, I can't be positive.

Rytr
10-04-04, 10:27 PM
The 2800+ seem to have good headroom from what I have read. I know the 3000+ has some headroom. Of course, its always the luck of the draw it seems.
The Corsair memory should do fine at 200, maybe a little more. Should make for a very good gaming setup.
I would not worry too much with VCore as the A64's run cool as they are and heat only adds to potential problems. That is unless you are willing to upgrade the cooling.
Some memory really take advantage of 0.1-0.2 increase in Vdimm while others don't. The only way to know is to try it. I would not go much past 2.7V on those modules just to be safe. Anything higher would probably require additional cooling which for the increase is usually not worth it, IMO. The exception in my limited experience is the BH-5 chips which are no longer in production.