PDA

View Full Version : Help with nVMixer on ALC850

BrianG
10-02-04, 10:22 AM
OK, nVMixer is supposed to support the AC97 ALC850 device. How in the hell do you install the drivers for the AC97 so the Realtek control panel does not get installed and then how can you make sure that nVMixer will recognize the AC97 device?

I hate the Realtek applet :retard: and want the nVMixer interface back.

jAkUp
10-02-04, 10:45 AM
Yea I hate that applet also.. usually when I install AC97 drivers I just disable that applet when they are installed....

|JuiceZ|
10-02-04, 01:40 PM
OK, nVMixer is supposed to support the AC97 ALC850 device. How in the hell do you install the drivers for the AC97 so the Realtek control panel does not get installed and then how can you make sure that nVMixer will recognize the AC97 device?

I hate the Realtek applet :retard: and want the nVMixer interface back.

I've tried for months Brian but it doesn't work. Even though "technically" its supposed to support the ALC850 chipset, if you attempt to start NVMixer, it'll come back w/ an error that says it doesn't detect an nForce Audio Codec Interface on the machine. It does really needs to be fixed cause the Realtek cpl is horrid.

myshkinbob
10-02-04, 01:41 PM
I don't think you can use the nvmixer with the realtek ac97 driver. A point of interest though, i tested both drivers for the alc850 with a program called RMAA that gives frequency response graphs and noise/stereo crosstalk levels. The nv driver cuts out severely over 10kHz, so you lose a lot of high end treble, which to your ear is the clarity of things like the high-hat in your tunes. Here's a screen grab to show you the difference, drivers are nforce 5.10 and realtek 3.63.

http://www.vapulus.com/ac97.jpg

I also tested with 3dm03 sound tests, and the realtek driver is slightly faster. I use the beta drivers as their 3d sound support for A3D/EAX is a bit better.

ftp://152.104.125.40/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm_rt3d_beta.exe

To ditch the soundman app from loading, just edit your windows startup configuration.

|JuiceZ|
10-02-04, 01:50 PM
I don't think you can use the nvmixer with the realtek ac97 driver. A point of interest though, i tested both drivers for the alc850 with a program called RMAA that gives frequency response graphs and noise/stereo crosstalk levels. The nv driver cuts out severely over 10kHz, so you lose a lot of high end treble, which to your ear is the clarity of things like the high-hat in your tunes. Here's a screen grab to show you the difference, drivers are nforce 5.10 and realtek 3.63.

http://www.vapulus.com/ac97.jpg

I also tested with 3dm03 sound tests, and the realtek driver is slightly faster. I use the beta drivers as their 3d sound support for A3D/EAX is a bit better.

ftp://152.104.125.40/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm_rt3d_beta.exe

To ditch the soundman app from loading, just edit your windows startup configuration.

Good info myshkinbob, are those beta drivers newer than the a364's? & if so do you have an updated link, that one is dead?

myshkinbob
10-02-04, 02:14 PM
According to their ftp both files are dated today, the beta and the 3.64. I just switched to the 3.64 wdm and performance is the same as the old 3.63 rt3d beta, so i'm using the 3.64s now. The link to the betas does work for me though, i just clicked it to check. :)

saturnotaku
10-02-04, 04:03 PM
Funny this thread should come up today. I was going to post just how much I'm enjoying the ALC850. The fact that Realtek updates their drivers more than once a year and that these drivers are actually improvements is truly amazing. The 3.64 drivers are awesome - they've dropped my Winamp CPU usage from 3-7% down to 0-2%. A certain other sound card manufacturer should be taking lessons from Realtek. ;)

SavagePaladin
10-03-04, 01:21 AM
If you mean NV...since they don't manufacture sound stuff anymore...I doubt they care. (spit)

BrianG
10-03-04, 09:08 AM
Funny this thread should come up today. I was going to post just how much I'm enjoying the ALC850. The fact that Realtek updates their drivers more than once a year and that these drivers are actually improvements is truly amazing. The 3.64 drivers are awesome - they've dropped my Winamp CPU usage from 3-7% down to 0-2%. A certain other sound card manufacturer should be taking lessons from Realtek. ;)
Whuile I like the increased performance of the nForce3/A64 combo, I do sorely miss the Soundstorm's 5.1 encoding capabilities. Doom3 through my Midiland Dolby Digital rig sounded amazing on the Soundstorm. I will be promptly upgrading if the mobo makers us ethe Soundstorm capabilities of the nForce4 as hinted by the Inquirer and others.

For now, it's Pro Logic2 and DD on nVDVD only. :eek2:

saturnotaku
10-03-04, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I can see where that would be a problem for you. But all I have is a crappy set of Creative 2.1 speakers so the ALC850 works pretty well for me. ;)

BrianG
10-03-04, 09:29 AM
You were tight about CPU usage, though. The new drivers dropped media player usage to ~2%, down from ~5%. Nice.

I was contemplating getting some Logitech's with both the SPIDF and 6 channel sound card inputs, but with nForce4 around the corner, I just can't justify it. Bring the Soundstorm!!!

saturnotaku
10-03-04, 09:39 AM
Another thing I noticed about the Realtek is that its EAX support is excellent. I play Half-Life a lot, and with my Creative cards, EAX sounded extremely artificial. With the ALC850 it sounds a lot like my old Aureal Vortex 2 - which was the best sound card I've ever used for that particular game.

BrianG
10-03-04, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I never really liked Creative cards. They always seemed over-processed.