PDA

View Full Version : Screen goes blank when clicking nVidia tray icon or videos

Pages : [1] 2

JRepin
10-02-04, 05:24 PM
Hi,

I just have my Leadtek Winfast A400 TDH for a few days now. But I have some very annoying problem. Sometimes when I click on nVidia tray icon the monitor just goes blank for a moment. Just like the driver was reloaded ro video mode switches. This also happens sometimes when I right click on video files. I have tried different drivers from official 61.77 to 66.81. And this happens with all of them. I also changed my default monitor LG Studioworks 995E with Samsung Syncmaster 757NF. The problem is here with both. I had Radeon 9600XT before and I had no such problem. Also if I don't click on video files or on nVidia system tray icon all is fine.

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix? How do I report this to nVidia? I can't find any driver feedback form like there is for ATI Catalyst drivers. Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance for all help and answers!

AnteP
10-02-04, 05:33 PM
Hi,

I just have my Leadtek Winfast A400 TDH for a few days now. But I have some very annoying problem. Sometimes when I click on nVidia tray icon the monitor just goes blank for a moment. Just like the driver was reloaded ro video mode switches. This also happens sometimes when I right click on video files. I have tried different drivers from official 61.77 to 66.81. And this happens with all of them. I also changed my default monitor LG Studioworks 995E with Samsung Syncmaster 757NF. The problem is here with both. I had Radeon 9600XT before and I had no such problem. Also if I don't click on video files or on nVidia system tray icon all is fine.

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix? How do I report this to nVidia? I can't find any driver feedback form like there is for ATI Catalyst drivers. Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance for all help and answers!

Mine does this too. It began doing it after I changed my mobo.
I have no idea why.
It does it when entering the nvidia control panel, just after startup, when rightclicking movies, when clicking the taskbar icon (ie anything nvidia related).

Actually it didn't do it at first but once I installed some beta driver it began doing it and now it just won't stop; even though I did a clean reinstall of xp(!)

Very annoying.

I've tried new drivers, a new gfx bios, new mobo bios, different mobo bioses etc. to no help whatsoever.

Now I know this is not a HW problem since it didn't happen before.

What are your other system specs.

Personally I'm running an 3800+ on a nforce3 ultra, winxp sp2.

"good" to hear I'm not the only one with this dilemma.
It's not really that instrusive, it just bothers me that I have to put up with this crap until I get a new videocard.

JRepin
10-02-04, 05:38 PM
This is my system (nothing overclocked):
PSU: Enermax EG465P-VE
MoBo: MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R (BIOS 1.20)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
RAM: 1GiB Corsair TwinX-1024 3200LL
HDD: Hitachi 7K250 160 GiB with 8 MiB cache
Graphics: Leadtek WinFast A400 TDH (nVidia GeForce 6800)
Sound: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
DVD-RW: NEC ND-2500A
CD-RW: Plextor PlexWriter Premium
Mouse: Logitech MX500
Keyboard: Cherry G83
CRT: LG StudioWorks 995E
Internet: NetGame NemMo cable modem
Printer: Epson Sylus C84

AnteP
10-02-04, 05:41 PM
This is my system (nothing overclocked):
PSU: Enermax EG465P-VE
MoBo: MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R (BIOS 1.20)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
RAM: 1GiB Corsair TwinX-1024 3200LL
HDD: Hitachi 7K250 160 GiB with 8 MiB cache
Graphics: Leadtek WinFast A400 TDH (nVidia GeForce 6800)
Sound: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
DVD-RW: NEC ND-2500A
CD-RW: Plextor PlexWriter Premium
Mouse: Logitech MX500
Keyboard: Cherry G83
CRT: LG StudioWorks 995E
Internet: NetGame NemMo cable modem
Printer: Epson Sylus C84

I also have a MSI A64 motherboard (K8N Neo 2 Platinum). MSI has a stupid feature that overclocks the videocard from the mainboard bios (just called "enhanced performance" or something vague like that) and I suspect it has something to do with it.
It came enabled as default on my rig and it took me quite some time to figure out that it overclocked the hell out of my gfx to the point where any type of 3d app would just cause a BSOD or reboot.

rewt
10-02-04, 05:43 PM
I have an MSI board and have no such problem (altho I don't have that option you speak of). I have seen this problem before on other computers. I think it could be an issue with the monitor, so try installing the latest driver available for your monitor. Use the device manager to install it.

http://www.lge.com/support/software.jsp

JRepin
10-02-04, 05:55 PM
Hm I'll take a look at BIOS sometime later. But I don't remember any such special setting. And all the core and memory and FSB and such frequencies seam to be at the defaults. I also don't have any problems with games. Yesterday I played Doom 3 for about 3 hours and all was OK.

Oh and the drivers for monitor are installed and I also tried another monitor and it is no better. Both monitor also work just fine on my old ATI Radeon 9600XT.

rewt
10-02-04, 06:00 PM
Do you use coolbits to overclock? If so, try reinstalling your graphics driver without coolbits to see if that works.

JRepin
10-02-04, 06:02 PM
I don't even know what coolbits is. And as I said I don't overclock at all. Nothing in my computer is overclocked. All is at default speeds and voltages.

AnteP
10-02-04, 06:03 PM
Just to add:
Personally I have tried both with and without my monitor drivers. And I've tried several different forceware versions (with and without coolbits enabled).

rewt
10-02-04, 06:03 PM
Its sounding more and more like a VGA BIOS issue. See if you guys can get an updated BIOS for your card.

JRepin
10-02-04, 06:06 PM
So should I try to update the VGA BIOS? I've been looking on Leadtek site and it appears that they only have the same version that I already have (should I try to reflash anyway?). And even the one available is only NTSC, I can't find any PAL version.

AnteP
10-02-04, 06:09 PM
Just to add:
Personally I have tried both with and without my monitor drivers. And I've tried several different forceware versions (with and without coolbits enabled).

As I mentioned in my original post:
It worked fine with my old rig (Athlon XP, nforce2 etc.).
It didn't start doing this until I upgraded to an athlon 64 with an MSI nforce3 ultra.

tried flashing a new bios, that didn't help. (I originally had one of the first engeneering release BIOSes and upgraded to the latest available.)

I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard but MSI claims to be unable to reproduce the problem.

rewt
10-02-04, 06:13 PM
Hmmmm. I'm running out of ideas. I wonder if its some sort of driver issue (chipset or graphics related)? Have you tried different versions of nForce drivers?

JRepin
10-02-04, 06:17 PM
I found some nVidia Support form:
Request Support From nVidia (http://support.nvidia.com/apps/EndUserSupport/index.asp)
I'll send them the problem description. Maybe they know something about this.

Here (http://support.nvidia.com/Content/nvsupport/vwSupportRequest.asp?RequestGUID=ADA7444F-2519-4712-815A-05032B1CA09B) is my problem report. It looks like it is also possible to add additional comments, So maybe those with the same problem can also post their configurations and comments.

Subtestube
10-02-04, 07:47 PM
I have the same issue - I believe it to be BIOS related as it only became evident after flashing to the "F2" Bios from the Gigabyte website. Matter of interest, are you now unable to hide modes that the monitor cannot display?

Actually, also, what's the BIOS version you're running? Is it 5.40.02.26.00? Because mine definitely is.

(Check in Adapter props). Hmmmm.

JRepin
10-03-04, 06:18 AM
My VGA BIOS version is 5.40.02.12. And there is no newer one available on Leadtek site.

SmrtSkoso
10-04-04, 10:38 AM
I have the same problem here. Any solution known yet?

Subtestube
10-04-04, 08:30 PM
Not yet... I've got a 'dialogue' going with Gigabyte (I say "No, that's not right", and they send me another bollocks answer) - we'll see if they release a BIOS fix for it. Even if one company DOES release a fix for it, it may not work on other cards.

Spacecowboy
10-05-04, 03:02 AM
I have the same problem here i Sweden, I have a BFG 6800 GT card.

passykes
10-05-04, 03:44 AM
I have the same problem using an MSI PT880 mobo and MSI5900XT gfx card.

svetli_pp
10-05-04, 03:54 AM
I have this problem too. I have gigabyte 7dxr mobo and FX5900XT. Before that vidcard I've had Ti4200 and even with it the problem existed after certain driver version I don't remember which. I don't have any clue what could cause the that behaviour. I don't pay it attention any more because It happens very rarely. But if you find any solution I'll be glad.

JRepin
10-05-04, 11:29 AM
Oh my. A lot of people with this problem. And I thought I was alone. I hope they find the problem and fix it as soon as possible.

rewt
10-30-04, 03:37 AM
This problem seems very random. I just hooked up two monitors to my computer, and one of them would flicker when going in and out of the nvidia control panel. Then I installed Coolbits3d and suddenly the problem disappeared. BTW I am currently using Forceware 70.41 drivers.

*edit - OK well the fix didn't seem to be Coolbits related after all. To test, I un-installed ALL monitors and the display adapter using the device manager. Then rebooted in safe mode, ran Driver Cleaner, installed 70.41 and rebooted back into normal mode.

Now neither monitor flickers! Weird man, weird...

rewt
10-30-04, 04:11 AM
Just re-installed Coolbits 3D and still no flicker... Not even in DualView or Clone modes. I suggest someone else try what I did in my last post. Good luck :)

SecretAgentMan
10-30-04, 06:26 AM
Hi, this solved the problem for me (taken from another forum):

The cause for this lies in nvcpl.dll - a nvidia dll, which scans for connected TVs.

The first time the dll is loaded, is at windows-bootup (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Microsoft->Windows-& gt;CurrentVersion->Run).
This causes the first flicker and unfortunately the auto-startup-entry can't be deleted.

The flicker when right-clicking on video-files is caused by a shell-extension, which the nvidia-driver installs for all types of video-files. This shell-extension calls nvcpl.dll everytime you right click a video file to scan for connected TVs. If a TV is present, the shell extension shows up in the context-menu as "Play on My TV". I never tested this, but I suppose when you click it, the video is directly shown on your connected TV.

This could have been implemented a lot better, this f...ing sync-flicker is driving you crazy when browsing a video archive.

After scanning the registry, I found the key responsible for the shell extension. Just search for "PlayOnMyTV" in the registry and you will find some entries under "shellex" (shell extension). These entries contain an identifier, {FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516} in my case, I'm not sure if this identifier is static or created dynamically, so in your registry, it might be another number. Now copy the identifier and search for it in the registry; delete every occurence when it's connected to video-file formats (.avi, .mpg, .mpeg and so on) and afterwards the "PlayOnMyTV"-shellextensions.

That's it, now the flicker when right-clicking on video files should be gone (at least it worked for me ). I hope nvidia fixes this annoying issue asap, not every user wants this (unnecessary) extension and it causes very annoying problems.

Edit: The identifier {FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516} is static.