PDA

View Full Version : Broadband

***CENSORED***
11-08-02, 07:59 PM
need to have broadband without cable!

also---yer opinion on direcway

The Baron
11-08-02, 08:16 PM
Well, hope you don't want to play games if you get that.

DSL works.

Direcway has an automatic lag of about 5-600...

***CENSORED***
11-08-02, 08:40 PM
:mad:can't get dsl to my knowledge.

just wanna downoad stuff:(

by the way, what are the requirements for DSL?:confused:

madthumbs
11-09-02, 01:07 PM
How about wireless?

gravioli
11-09-02, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by madthumbs
How about wireless?

Pretty fast, but expensive and there's limited availability. With most wireless plans you pay based on how much you download and upload. Anyway, if he can't get DSL or cable, I don't think he will have wireless as an option either.

styles-T
11-09-02, 09:17 PM
try www.dslreports.com..

***CENSORED***
11-10-02, 07:43 PM
will do:)

***CENSORED***
11-10-02, 07:44 PM
also, yor opinion of direcway

PsychoSy
11-11-02, 01:54 AM
I've worked on a few systems with DirecWay and, personally, I hate it. It's can be very fast in downloading however if the sattelite is loaded, the latency is just...ugh.

A buddy of mine that just got out of the Navy has DirecWay but he not much of an online gamer. It serves his purposes fine and the problems he has is that it seems that Hughes puts some kind of governor on your downstream bandwidth. My buddy can download up to 1GB a day but once he goes past 1 GB, his download speed of 200k a second decreses to roughly 56K modem speed. It drives him nuts when he does a full format and reinstall as DirecWay will need to be reconfigured all over again (meaning he needs to reinstall his 56K modem) and he also likes to get all the patches and fixes in one sitting, and that usually tops 1-2GB.

His 8x speed IOmega burner only burns at 2x speed for some reason and has done so since the day he bought it - which is why he doesn't really backup. Claims it hardens his arteries! :D :p

saturnotaku
11-11-02, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by PsychoSy
His 8x speed IOmega burner only burns at 2x speed for some reason and has done so since the day he bought it - which is why he doesn't really backup. Claims it hardens his arteries!

Then tell him to get his butt over to Newegg and pick up that Lite-On 48x24x48 burner for $57. :D

PsychoSy
11-12-02, 06:58 AM
I allready did!
He's too busy using his mad money to buy handguns and regestering them. :p

Oh, speaking of which, his dad as his own recycling/repossession business. Anyway, they repoed a trailer (the owner died or went to jail or some crap) and whoever this guy was, he was ARMED to the TEETH. If he wasn't a former war vet, then he's a heck of gun collector - you name it, this guy had it. To make a long story short, my buddy calls me up...

"Jay, I gonna make you cry with the latest new addition to my gun collection..."

"Oh, yeah? Whatcha got."

"Nothing real fancy...just a WW2 German issue Mauser in near perfect condition..."

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

SavagePaladin
11-12-02, 11:33 AM
My opinion on one way satellite is it sucks, and two way satellite is it costs too much. I'm holding out hope for Etherlinx (http://www.etherlinx.com)

***CENSORED***
11-12-02, 08:22 PM
I'm talkin about 2-way

but i tink my problems may be over:)