PDA

View Full Version : 66.81 release speculation

mikedep333
10-03-04, 12:58 AM
Hey all, as I see it now there are 3 possible reasons for why Nvidia decided to nicely package and host the 66.81's.

1. This is an official release either that's either awaiting WHQL or that they simply didn't have time to nicely announce on their main web site.
(this is unlikely because there still are some bugs in it, like with UT2004 and CS:Source)

2. They are starting to host beta drivers regularly like they used to.

3. They want people to have a driver for the best 3dmark05 scores without a huge amount of bugs like the 66.70 have.

So what do you guys think?

mobilenvidia
10-03-04, 01:18 AM
It takes a week for WHQL to come through from Microsoft, driver dated 30th Sept, so aprox Thursday next week, we'll know.
It has to pass many tests for it to become WHQL, but bugs always make their way in to WHQL drivers as nVidia has no final driver.
Every driver made is a work in progress, the WHQL drivers should at least be the least bug riddled.

All nVidia has to do is to repack the driver with the CAT file and then release as official, if they pass WHQL that is.
They have had problems with some drivers failing last week.

Isn't 66.51 the best driver so far for 3DMark 2k5 ?
Still some way to go to catch up with ATI and the equivalent GPU's.
They could do with the miracle driver update that ATI found and gain 1500 points.

mikedep333
10-03-04, 01:31 AM
It takes a week for WHQL to come through from Microsoft, driver dated 30th Sept, so aprox Thursday next week, we'll know.
It has to pass many tests for it to become WHQL, but bugs always make their way in to WHQL drivers as nVidia has no final driver.
Every driver made is a work in progress, the WHQL drivers should at least be the least bug riddled.

All nVidia has to do is to repack the driver with the CAT file and then release as official, if they pass WHQL that is.
They have had problems with some drivers failing last week.

Isn't 66.51 the best driver so far for 3DMark 2k5 ?
Still some way to go to catch up with ATI and the equivalent GPU's.
They could do with the miracle driver update that ATI found and gain 1500 points.

Yeah, the WHQL is important, but its unusual for them to host the drivers.

No, these are better than the 66.51's at 3dmark05, as I said in the original thread for the 66.81's:
My card running at 390/1050
66.51 --------- 66.81

doom3: 1280x1024, ultra
51.0 FPS ------ 53.1 FPS

3dmark05: standard
4766 3dmarks - 4824 3dmarks

As for ATI's driver, god knows what's up with it. They say it fixes a bug for using memory over 128 megs, and the fact that the X800's do better in the theoretical tests confirms this legit explanation. However, no website has tested these out on the 9800 pro's and found out if the 256 meg version improved while the 128 stayed the same, and the boost that they got was unrealistically high.

EDIT: Also, I don't believe those MS tests are for actual games, I think they just run theoretical tests and make sure 2D works fine, so a WHQL driver could have a large amount of bugs.

K007
10-03-04, 02:35 AM
Its funny those new ati drivers dont seem to help anything *but* 3dmark05 score...

red_star
10-03-04, 09:48 AM
With CAT AI ON (HIGH), you can expect 500 points more...

parecon
10-03-04, 02:36 PM
Its funny those new ati drivers dont seem to help anything *but* 3dmark05 score...

Actually they increase performance in Doom 3 dramastically. ATI is now almost up to par with Nvidia in Doom 3.

Leech
10-03-04, 03:01 PM
"Yeah, the WHQL is important, but its unusual for them to host the drivers."

In my experience, WHQL doesn't mean jack. I recall several WHQL drivers for other video cards that were worse than the non-WHQL drivers. On my Matrox Parhelia card, they caused several BSODs that I had NEVER had before trying the WHQL drivers.

Leech

Jedi Rainman
10-03-04, 03:04 PM
I get better results with 66.70 than 66.81

racingx
10-03-04, 03:39 PM
I just wish Nvidia didnt have such a "Closed Door" policy about everything that they do regarding drivers. I would like to know what they fixed or "optimized" in there drivers to give "magical" increases in benchmarking scores and such. Sometimes I feel with Nvidia you just have to press the "I Beleive" button because you wont be getting any straight answers from them :lame: .

Xav
10-03-04, 03:47 PM
Actually they increase performance in Doom 3 dramastically. ATI is now almost up to par with Nvidia in Doom 3.

Interesting thing there is that from what I've read the new drivers change the way some rendering in D3 is done (which JC kinda frowned on) to get that extra performance.

Even more interesting is that noone mentions that much but the ATi crowd are having a fit about the optimized shadows in 3DM05.

:rolleyes:

Morrow
10-03-04, 04:17 PM

that's true but the reason for this is not 128mb - 256mb bug fix but only because the Catalyst driver now includes Humus' shader replacement code for Doom3.

shinrai
10-03-04, 10:02 PM
that's true but the reason for this is not 128mb - 256mb bug fix but only because the Catalyst driver now includes Humus' shader replacement code for Doom3.

You guys are joking right? Can someone please lead me to a bench that has ATI up to Nvidia in Doom 3?

Darkoz
10-03-04, 11:04 PM
You guys are joking right? Can someone please lead me to a bench that has ATI up to Nvidia in Doom 3?

hehe....I was wondering the same thing.

mikedep333
10-03-04, 11:26 PM

http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/8/0,1311,sz=1&i=80520,00.gif
thats from extremetech.com

Anyway, could we stick to the topic? Why do you guys think this beta is actually on Nvidia's site?

myshkinbob
10-04-04, 12:25 AM
well the driver has some blitting fix in it, or so it appears. Perhaps they simply wanted the driver tested by those willing to install beta drivers, knowing it'd only be found/used by the enthusiast types who install betas. I mean every now and then they might actually want a driver to leak for testing purposes, but without knowing who'd leak it and not wanting to formally give it to a website to host, it'd make sense to just quietly place it on their public ftp servers unannounced. I don't think this driver is on there to help boost 3dm05 scores, mine dropped 50 points compared to 60.70.

mikedep333
10-04-04, 01:21 AM
well the driver has some blitting fix in it, or so it appears. Perhaps they simply wanted the driver tested by those willing to install beta drivers, knowing it'd only be found/used by the enthusiast types who install betas. I mean every now and then they might actually want a driver to leak for testing purposes, but without knowing who'd leak it and not wanting to formally give it to a website to host, it'd make sense to just quietly place it on their public ftp servers unannounced. I don't think this driver is on there to help boost 3dm05 scores, mine dropped 50 points compared to 60.70.
yeah, good point, it would make since for them to give it to us to test for them without a middleman. However, i believe there have been some more reports of bugs with 66.70, so they may have chosen this instead, even if it's slightly down.

crainger
10-04-04, 06:43 PM
But really is it that hard to find?? I mean its hosted right there in nzone under beta drivers.

rewt
10-04-04, 07:39 PM
But really is it that hard to find?? I mean its hosted right there in nzone under beta drivers.

Hes right.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_66.81.html

Release Highlights:

-Adds support for GeForce 6600 series GPUs (products supported)
-Added support for using HDTV over DVI connectors
-Added support for advanced DVI timing on all GeForce 6 series GPUs
-Updated Application Profiles allows users to associate color settings and store multiple profiles per application
-Added support to recognize and display monitor name in all control panels
-Supports 512 MB frame buffer GPUs
-Added supported for TV/HDTV setup in the nView Display Setup Wizard
-Updated Gridlines to for easier grid setup and management
-Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0c and OpenGL® 1.5 support

mikedep333
10-04-04, 07:56 PM
Hes right.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_66.81.html

Release Highlights:

-Adds support for GeForce 6600 series GPUs (products supported)
-Added support for using HDTV over DVI connectors
-Added support for advanced DVI timing on all GeForce 6 series GPUs
-Updated Application Profiles allows users to associate color settings and store multiple profiles per application
-Added support to recognize and display monitor name in all control panels
-Supports 512 MB frame buffer GPUs
-Added supported for TV/HDTV setup in the nView Display Setup Wizard
-Updated Gridlines to for easier grid setup and management
-Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0c and OpenGL® 1.5 support

Wow, you're right, this is a 1st for them in a long time. This probably proves what I suspected 2nd, theyre starting to publicly give out beta drivers again.