PDA

View Full Version : hl2 is looking good

eesa
10-03-04, 06:24 PM
can't say I'm surprised. Took them long enough though.

http://aaltonen.us/archive/2004/10/03/news-half-life-2-review/

wickfut
10-03-04, 06:31 PM
a wild stab in the dark guess says the reviewer thought it was not bad :)

Xplode
10-03-04, 06:42 PM
a wild stab in the dark guess says the reviewer thought it was not bad :)

sure is

Slybri
10-03-04, 09:40 PM
Anybody think the new NOV 23 release date going around is valid?
Releasing a game two days before thanksgiving is pretty crazy, what with everyone flying to grandma's house, but I guess they want plenty of copies on shelves for the day after turkey day.

I've already scheduled the week off. Hope I aiin't wasting vacation time.

WOnder if they serve turkey in city 17?

:)

GamerGuyX
10-03-04, 09:44 PM
NOV 23 release date

Heh. The day after my birthday... :)

aAv7
10-03-04, 09:54 PM
Anybody think the new NOV 23 release date going around is valid?
Releasing a game two days before thanksgiving is pretty crazy, what with everyone flying to grandma's house, but I guess they want plenty of copies on shelves for the day after turkey day.

I've already scheduled the week off. Hope I aiin't wasting vacation time.

WOnder if they serve turkey in city 17?

:)

I think over @ gamespot they said the nov.23rd date was false in their weekly rumors mill column....not sure tho...Sure would be sweet to have it right before Thanksgiving....sit down to some turkey and some HL2 :drooling: :drooling: :drooling: I remember Zelda: OOT came out around thanksgiving and it was good times...nice memories...I loved 1998 now that I think of it...good games, good wrestling...still in highschool ....meeeeeeeeeeemories....in the corner of my miiiiiind.....

six_storm
10-03-04, 09:56 PM
HL2 does look great . . . so does Doom 3. HL2 will be a very great game, very high replay value! Nice job VaLvE!

Uken
10-03-04, 11:50 PM
At last!, can't wait to play ..

:nanahump: :nanahump: :nanahump:
-----
AMD xp 2800+ @ 188 X 12.5
a7n400 PRO 2 (gigabyte)
512 Kingmax (lame) pc 3200
PNY Geforce 6800 GT @ 410/1100
Audigy 2 with Creative 5300 5.1
-----
3Dmark05
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=29598

jAkUp
10-03-04, 11:52 PM
neither can i... everyday I feel the game pulling me closer and closer ;)

Mr. Hunt
10-04-04, 12:28 AM
Well you gotta wait... the game is never coming :\.

XP_GUN
10-04-04, 12:36 AM
^ yeah dont get your hopes up, even though this date might be the one. :clap:

jAkUp
10-04-04, 12:38 AM
It is coming out soon... the game is done. Its been reviewed. Valve would never let a magazine review a beta sample. Valve and Viv want their money. Release will be soon.

Sazar
10-04-04, 12:47 AM
by the time it releases I might have enough money saved up for a new card and the special edition game pack :cool:

I like the overall feel of the storyline from what was described... its the first time I have read up on the storyline @ all thus far (i've been shielding myself) and even then I didn't read much more than a few lines here and there from the pics :cool:

can't wait...

theultimo
10-04-04, 01:28 AM
Waiting to Preorder Gold over steam.

|MaguS|
10-04-04, 02:30 AM
Waiting to Preorder Gold over steam.

Same here.

dante_uk
10-04-04, 09:11 AM
Sorry not impressed. Those screenshots looked dated. Badly.

Unified lighting is the future I think. Anything with out it now looks dated. The 'new' HL2 screenshots would have looked good a year and half ago, but now they look like q2 with higher res textures and few shaders for water and that magnifing glass.

I will say the faces look really good and detailed and if they actually pulled of the lipsinking as they claimed then it will easily be the most impressive feature of the engine. ( which is not really saying much though ).

Vash
10-04-04, 09:44 AM
Unified lighting is the future, I agree with you there. But to say that anything without it looks dated smacks of hyperbole. Like anything other piece of eye candy, it's a tool for creating atmosphere - and if your game's atmosphere wouldn't benefit from accurate, real-time shadows, then you avoid a sizeable performance hit.

Those screenshots looked dated. Badly

Looks better than Far Cry, IMO. Better design, more interesting/"realistic" scenery, and those NPC's faces blow everything else out of the water. IMO, Half-Life 2's strength is going to be in the details - how the NPC's faces actually make expressions, how their eyes move correctly and look right, how the sunset glints off a trickle of water in a ditch, how the skybox is animated and the use of well-thought out atmospheric perspective.

Unified lighting is nice, but it (or the lack thereof) shouldn't "date" the look of the game.

Mr. Hunt
10-04-04, 12:09 PM
Ehhh... its hard to compare Far Cry and Half Life 2 I would say... one involves a bunch of islands and tropical stuff... one involves cities and more urban areas. I think tropical islands with all of that organic life and stuff would be much harder to create.

karkrash81
10-04-04, 01:01 PM
we also have to remember that only a small percentage of the people that buy half life 2 will give a rat's ass about the technical aspects of the gaming engine...the majority of the gaming public could care less whether the game has a unified lighting model or not... most people just want to have fun...

personally, i think half life 2 looks quite impressive. The environments, apparent poly counts, shaders, all combine to be a very very nice looking game. Also, who knows what the source engine can be modified into?

zoomy942
10-04-04, 01:16 PM
i'm not a big half life fan, but i will say that being able to manipulate the enironment so much is cool

Vash
10-04-04, 01:25 PM
Ehhh... its hard to compare Far Cry and Half Life 2 I would say... one involves a bunch of islands and tropical stuff... one involves cities and more urban areas. I think tropical islands with all of that organic life and stuff would be much harder to create.

Yeah, it's comparing apples to goats. Really, comparing Far Cry, HL2 and Doom 3 is difficult because they each have specific goals concerning their graphics and they've been coded to meet those goals.

Creating organic environs is very tough... but so's creating a facial expression system (that works well) and, like I said, I'm very impressed with the amount of polish that's gone into the little details that we've seen so far in HL2. And the art direction.

Anyway, karkrash81's got a point - I couldn't care less about the technical specs, really. It's got a lot of cool stuff in it that promises to make the game more immersive.

|MaguS|
10-04-04, 01:49 PM
While im not comparing the engines, I must say that I think HL2 has better texture work then both Farcry and Doom 3. Main reason? Everything is not shiny... For a Mars military base, it was all pretty well polished. Farcry just had everything shiny... from models to cave walls... just looked way to fake.

HL2 is going for realism and suceeds, the texture work is awsome. Sand and rust look like they should. Skin textures are some of the best I have ever seen...

saturnotaku
10-04-04, 01:53 PM
I couldn't care less about the technical specs, really. It's got a lot of cool stuff in it that promises to make the game more immersive.

Bingo. I want a great gameply experience. Good graphics are a nice touch to enhance a game, but they are not the be all end all, as Doom 3 has clearly shown. I'm looking forward to the ability to interact with the environment and (from what I've read) to be able to explore without following a specific path. I want immersion in my games, be it from the environment, other characters or whatever.

karkrash81
10-04-04, 02:26 PM
I'm eager to see how the AI performs in HL2... especially concerning friendly characters like Alyx, Dog, and other main characters.

I agree that it is difficult to compare HL2, Doom 3, and far cry in terms of presentation.

The atmosphere presented in Half Life 2 feels like the cold war... Reminds me of old photos of East Berlin... so far out of the 3 reviews they're saying that the city is the most fully realized gaming environment ever...I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If there's a graphics debate to be had I think it would be "how does hl2 look compared to d3, far cry on an average mid-range system while maintaining acceptable playability?" since most gamers don't have the uber powerful machines to run everything at full detail...