PDA

View Full Version : 65.76 -vs- 66.81!!

JD-Scorpion
10-04-04, 02:07 AM
After 2 day's of using the WQHL 66.81 forceware drivers, I had to return back to the 65.76 forceware drivers. The 66.81 cause's so much texture shimmering in my older games (It made me sick). The 65.76 drivers also cause's texture shimmering, but less is present compared with the 66.81 drivers.

Yeah, it's nice to get higher scores within shadermarks v2.1 or 3DMarks05 with the newer driver leaks. But at what cost?

In my opinion it seems everytime a beta or WHQL driver is leaked. The drivers get worst in image quality with "older games only". Newer game titles (image quality) seems pretty much good :drooling: across the board with the recent leaked drivers.

So what gives guys? :bash:

Why doesn't Nividia put as much time and effort into making older games (1995-2002) look as good, as they do with newer titles. :wong:

Has anyone else gone back to older drivers because of poor IQ with older games?

|MaguS|
10-04-04, 02:30 AM
I haven't had any IQ issues with my currently installed games... Oldest one installed is "Vampire The Masquerade - Redemption". Well not counting Half-Life+Mods.

particleman
10-04-04, 10:07 AM
To me, the shimmering appeared to be equally bad in 65.76 & 66.81

Ruined
10-04-04, 10:18 AM
By setting image quality to "high quality" and turning off optimizations in the driver panel you can get rid of most of the filtering artifacts.

I wonder why Nvidia has not posted 66.81 to their website yet, only ftp? Still writing a pdf file, or not going to be a web release driver?

particleman
10-04-04, 12:18 PM
Trust me when I say that me and all the other people who see the texture shimmering/aliasing have tried High Quality mode, as well as a plethora of drivers other settings etc. Plus the texture aliasing has been reproduced by nVidia.

Omega53
10-04-04, 01:25 PM
Trust me when I say that me and all the other people who see the texture shimmering/aliasing have tried High Quality mode, as well as a plethora of drivers other settings etc. Plus the texture aliasing has been reproduced by nVidia.

Use 4xSS to get rid of it.

particleman
10-04-04, 01:38 PM
Well I do know of that method to get rid of it, but it isn't all that practical due to the performance hit, at least with newer games. And even with 4X Supersampling the image quality still isn't as good as my old 5900.

crainger
10-04-04, 06:46 PM
By setting image quality to "high quality" and turning off optimizations in the driver panel you can get rid of most of the filtering artifacts.

I wonder why Nvidia has not posted 66.81 to their website yet, only ftp? Still writing a pdf file, or not going to be a web release driver?

They are on the site, in the nzone. I guess not many of us go there these days :rolleyes: They are under beta drivers

Cheimison
10-04-04, 07:30 PM
Why doesn't Nividia put as much time and effort into making older games (1995-2002) look as good, as they do with newer titles.
Maybe because someone with a 6800 is probably not playing Duke Nukem so much as he's playing Far Cry?

Sgt_Pitt
10-04-04, 09:51 PM
They are on the site, in the nzone. I guess not many of us go there these days :rolleyes: They are under beta drivers

Where abouts ? i cant see any drivers tab or beta drivers tab in nzone ?

bkswaney
10-04-04, 10:55 PM
Maybe because someone with a 6800 is probably not playing Duke Nukem so much as he's playing Far Cry?

I agree.... :lol2:
But nvidia drivers do a better job at older
games than the comp does. ;)

bkswaney
10-04-04, 10:57 PM
Where abouts ? i cant see any drivers tab or beta drivers tab in nzone ?

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_66.81.html

bpt8056
10-04-04, 11:14 PM
I read somewhere (forgot where) that you need to adjust the LOD to reduce texture shimmering. Download Rivatuner and increase (+) the LOD to about a 3 and you should notice some improvement.

crainger
10-04-04, 11:24 PM
I read somewhere (forgot where) that you need to adjust the LOD to reduce texture shimmering. Download Rivatuner and increase (+) the LOD to about a 3 and you should notice some improvement.

Whoa! Isn't it 0.3

3 would be way to blurry, and some people are saying 0.5 works better. 0.3 works wonders for me and coupled with the new drivers with the blitting games never looked better. :cool:

Darkoz
10-05-04, 12:14 AM
Well I do know of that method to get rid of it, but it isn't all that practical due to the performance hit, at least with newer games. And even with 4X Supersampling the image quality still isn't as good as my old 5900.

Come on, you're kidding right?
I have a 5900 in another system and the image quality is nowhere near as good as the current cards.
Try forcing the 5900 to run a pure PS2.0 application or game and watch it slowdown to a crawl and degrade image quality.

particleman
10-05-04, 08:51 AM
Well yes for PS2.0 games the 6800 runs faster and the shimmering/aliasing isn't noticeable in games that make heavy use of shaders anyways. However, in games that don't make heavy use of shaders, particularly those with detailed ground textures, the 6800 looks horrible.

LOD is a temporary workaround, depending on the game you will have to raise it more or less to get rid of the shimmering, it does blur up textures though, so it is more like trading one problem for another.

Ruined
10-05-04, 09:53 AM

Wasn't someone saying above this primarily affects older games, not newer ones?

particleman
10-05-04, 10:16 AM
Well I wouldn't really say older games, just games that don't make use of a lot of shaders, since I wouldn't call games like City of Heroes, or UT2004 that old yet. It's just a lot of noticeable on certain types of textures and patterns than others.