PDA

View Full Version : leadtek 6800gt- beware.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

mike2h
10-04-04, 01:44 PM
i recentley ordered a leadtek 6800gt from gameve.com for $390. after messing around with it for a day or so & trying to oc- gpu max 360, mem max 465- i realised what had been bugging me! the stock mem speed was only 450 when it was supposed to be 500!
so i called leadtek who responded within a 1/2 hour & asked them what the deal was. their reply was- we just released a gt 'lite' 2weeks ago, the only diff is the reduced mem speed(bet gpu is lower quality binned too)& that all these boxes were labled 'lite'. i told him that mine was not & that my order was specific for 6800 gt. he suggested sosomebody must have removed the label. i then asked him how much the 'lite' vers went for & he said $50 less than the reg gt. told him how much i paid & he was again surprised as that was standard gt price.
with this info i then called gameve.com & told them the problem. the girl i talked too sounded very surprised & said she would check it out & get right back to me. that was a 11/2hour ago.
anyway people need to watch out for these 'lite' vers. why leadtek put it in the same box with only a sticker to differentiate it i do not know. why they do not have the 'lite' card listed on their site, i do not know. and why my box does not have a 'lite' sticker on it i do not know.
one thing i do know is that i ordered a 6800 gt & did not get one.
so again be careful

Eltigre88
10-04-04, 02:00 PM
GameVe is a good company and I'm sure they will make it right. Doubble check your part # and make sure it is the same number as what you ordered.

mike2h
10-04-04, 02:14 PM
i hope you are right. part# is correct. i do not, at this point think this was any sort of fraud. just some sort of shipping/clerical error. another problem is that their site is showing these cards as backordered.
getiing really frustrated here. i ordered this card, a raptor36 & a cuda160 & some other stuff al with expedited shipping so it would all get here before last weekend-week ago. found out 2 days after ordered that the company i originally orddered the card from had it on backorder. after assorted other problems finally got it from gameve. meanwhile i had gotten my hd's & found out the raptor was doa. so rma it back to wd. which screwed up my whole upgrade as it was going to be my new sys drive. also negating the point of all the expidited shipping i paid for. got the raptor last week, waited for my gt, installed them sat, raptor is doa AGAIN, another rma for it, & now do not know how long this whole video card thing is going to take to work out.

mike2h
10-04-04, 03:23 PM
just got of the phone with gameve-nice guy- basically the way he explained it sounds like leadtek is either trying to hose the consumer or just has really poor comunication. i am on the fence right now.
this could be a supply issue so might want to keep an eye out on other brands too.

saturnotaku
10-04-04, 03:31 PM
Has GameVE offered to replace the card with a true 6800 GT?

JRd1st
10-04-04, 03:46 PM
Well, if I was you I'd try to get them to replace it with the Gainward Golden Sample 6800GT. This is a really sweet card! I think they carry it at GamVE too.

Nandro
10-04-04, 04:13 PM
says on their site its the lite version in little print
http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=VC-LEAD-024

Slammin
10-04-04, 06:08 PM
I tell ya. Great prices online, and not only that, sometimes the only place you can get the brand you want is online. Nothing against online, but I do have a preference to support local retailers when I can afford to.

Another case in point; I recently ordered two 120mm Stealth fans and an NV5. I placed the order but the web page seemed kind of screwy and also, I did not get a confirmation e-mail. Waited two days, and then placed the exact same order. Got an e-mail confirming that order, with a side note confirming the first order as well! So now I am waiting for them to ship me something that will allow me to return the extra package at no charge to me.

Basically, they are only human and probably overworked too. Still, now I have to go to the PO to drop the box off.

No negative points to this particular vendor though (Coolerguys) because I've been buying stuff from them for a long time and they are really good. Still sucks when things like this happen though.

bkswaney
10-04-04, 07:03 PM
says on their site its the lite version in little print
http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=VC-LEAD-024

It says on there site it has 450mhz memory.
So what's the problem??

mike2h
10-04-04, 11:37 PM
because they have edited it since i purchased the card. apparentley they were not aware of the problem until i informed them. nice of them to respond quickly.
the fill rates, bandwidth, etc still reflect reg gt specs as does the price. the lite vers is supposed to be $50 cheaper according to leadtek. which makes sense.

mike2h
10-04-04, 11:41 PM
saturnotaku

i am supposed to call them wednesday to give them time to work out whatever with nvidia. i think they are going to take care of the problem. just do not know how or when.

noko
10-04-04, 11:56 PM
The images doesn't show any lite tag, I couldn't find the small print saying lite. Only the memory speed gives it away. Would the average person know this when a 6800GT was recommended to them or what they read in a review? I doubt it! Now mfg list price of $459! Yeah right, sounds like GameV'e is screwing customers in giving them much less then they expected. This does not speak highly of GameV'e. I would be very pissed and want my money back, all of my money. . . This is after they found out about Leadtek Lite version which I don't believe is the case in the end. I wouldn't shop there.

bkswaney
10-05-04, 12:10 AM
The images doesn't show any lite tag, I couldn't find the small print saying lite. Only the memory speed gives it away. Would the average person know this when a 6800GT was recommended to them or what they read in a review? I doubt it! Now mfg list price of $459! Yeah right, sounds like GameV'e is screwing customers in giving them much less then they expected. This does not speak highly of GameV'e. I would be very pissed and want my money back, all of my money. . . This is after they found out about Leadtek Lite version which I don't believe is the case in the end. I wouldn't shop there.

I agree.... Now that I know it was changed on there site after the fact. :lame:

They should be made give you a real GT.
That is the price you paid. For a real GT.

Or your money back. Whatever you want. :)
It should not be legal for companies to make up
cards that nvidia does not list and sell.
It's about like ATI and there partners.
All the bloody SE,Lite, crazy name cards
are BS. :bash: :lame:
These retail places should be made to tell
what u r REALLY getting in the first place.

I would be pissed for sure.
It would be nice if leadtek would have
them give u a ultra for the trouble. :D :D

This is why I got my new card at bestbuy.
I'm sure glad I did this go around. My first
GT had problems and I was able to take it
back and get a good one with no delay. :)
That did limit what brand name I could get
but BFG does make great cards with super support
and a killer warrenty.

mike2h
10-05-04, 12:35 AM
well, i am willing to give both outfits the benefit of my trust. as long as it is made right & both companies let customers know what is going on I do not see any problem.
except for the time, $$ I spent on fedex overnite, & agravation. is not much can be done about that though.

Xav
10-05-04, 01:59 AM
Yup the only place I see "LITE" is on that blurry pic of the box and it's hard to see..wouldn't notice it if you weren't lookin for it.

mike2h
10-05-04, 02:06 AM
where?

mike2h
10-06-04, 11:46 AM
update!
talked to gameve today, they said that leadtek is giving them some bull**** line & that this is the only gt avail. said he is still working on it & would get back to me later today. guy is being helpful.
so i decided to call leadtek again to see what they had to say now. according to the person i talked too ALL LEADTEK GT CARDS ARE NOW THE 'LITE' VERS. for awhile anyway. and contrary to what they told me in my previous ph call with them the price is the same as the reg gt that post on their site. of course i pointed out the problem with that.
anyway the guy from leadtek had me email him my problem so he could run it by his superiors & hopfully get it rectified.
asked him how tha was going to work if they did not have reg gt around. he said it might take awhile.
again, make sure if you order a gt, that it is up to spec!! i would do this with any manafacturer as there is a parts shortage out there. my card can not even be oc'd to 'reg' gt speeds with the parts it has. :lame:

mike2h
10-06-04, 12:29 PM
just got this from leadtek, gives me some hope, maybe this whole thing is just a big communication error.

"First of all, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused.
I have reported that to our engineering team and related departments.
We are checking any possible solutions and try to resolve this issue ASAP"

saturnotaku
10-06-04, 12:36 PM
If Leadtek doesn't have any more normal GT cards, I would make them exchange it for an Ultra.

Vash
10-06-04, 12:38 PM
Just curious, Mike - why is GameVE pushing this issue off onto Leadtek? They were the ones that sold the card to you; whether or not they have problems with Leadtek is a completely different issue.

Don't let 'em derail you - you paid for a GT, demand a GT. Let them clean up the behind-the-counter-mess themselves.

Sat's got a good idea (and plenty of experience to back it up). ;)

JRd1st
10-06-04, 12:42 PM
Yeah, if they don't have any real GT's then they should replace it with the next best thing, an Ultra. I'd go for it if I was you. Tell them this thing is a whole thread on a major Graphics card forum and that they can either come out of this as a top notch company that comes through for their customers or as a bunch of sniveling sneaks that are trying to pass off bad parts on their unsuspecting customers. :nanahump:

Buck Armstrong
10-06-04, 12:49 PM
It was ridiculous of Leadtek to even make such a card, and then only differentiate by a sticker on the same box the normal GT uses. Looks like Asus & Leadtek are both smoking the same joint this round (although in my opinion, Leadtek's been high for years, what with their "ghetto blaster" heatsinks and all). Quit deceiving your customers and stick to the Nvidia reference price points. If you want to change the reference specs, overclock the card and sell it as such. But it should stop there; no "GT core w/slower memory" crap.

They know full well that the only people that will ever buy this card are: A) people looking for a GT who think this POS is one, only to discover with horror after purchase that it isn't; and B) people looking for a 6800NU and thinking this is a better deal (which it sure as hell isn't for $387). Now how smart is it to make a part that people will only buy by accident!? A**holes.

mike2h
10-06-04, 12:50 PM
do not know that i can make leadtek do anything.
gameve's position is that they did not know it was a lite vers at the time of the sale. since they have been consistent in their story i tend to believe them at this point. not saying that leadtek is lying.
so far i am hoping it is just a communication error. otherwise somebody did commoit some sort of fraud.
at this point gameve only has the lite vers. so my best bet appears to be leadtek as far as getting an expedited replacement.
i also beleive the burden is more on them as there is absolutley nothing on their site to suggest the existence of this card.
i always go to a manafacturers site for info on a product before i purchase a product. straight from the horses mouth so to speak.
but i won't be 'derailed' by anyone:)

Buck Armstrong
10-06-04, 12:55 PM
do not know that i can make leadtek do anything.
gameve's position is that they did not know it was a lite vers at the time of the sale. since they have been consistent in their story i tend to believe them at this point. not saying that leadtek is lying.
so far i am hoping it is just a communication error. otherwise somebody did commoit some sort of fraud.
at this point gameve only has the lite vers. so my best bet appears to be leadtek as far as getting an expedited replacement.
i also beleive the burden is more on them as there is absolutley nothing on their site to suggest the existence of this card.
i always go to a manafacturers site for info on a product before i purchase a product. straight from the horses mouth so to speak.
but i won't be 'derailed' by anyone:)

IMO, it was "fraud" to even make this card, and then hide it in a GT box. :rolleyes:

mike2h
10-06-04, 01:02 PM
that is what i pointed out to both companies. without using the word fraud. after all we play nice until we know for a fact that somebody is tring to hose us.:)